What's at the peir

Wattle

Sailing on POA. Ariving at airport at about 10.30am, after customs etc we should be at the peir around 12.30pm. Apparently we can check our bags in then, but may not be able to board the ship. Any sugestions on what we could do? We think we will be very tired so don't really want to do a tour. Thanks.

What pier are you referring to????? San Diego or Honolulu?

There is something to do at both. There are some restraunts and shops in Honolulu. San Diego has all kinds of stuff to do. Aircraft Carrier tour, sub tour, food, shops, trolly.

You will be leaving from pier 2, so you are within walking distance of Iolani Palace, King Kamehameha statue and the State Capitol complex. You are also within walking distance of the Aloha Tower complex, a collection of shops and restaurants and also Chinatown. I think they also run a shuttle from pier 2 to the Tower??? Here's a map, scroll to the bottom of the page, then move the arrow at the bottom of the map to about midway until you see Aloha Tower

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_airport_waikiki.html

Pier 2 is about where the label Restaurant Row is located, the letterint that is.

China Town is to the left in the area of the Police Sub Station. Hope I haven't added to the confusion:)

Wattle,

I wanted to include this link also, gives a more detailed map of the piers. The Pride ships all leave out of pier 2 now, may be one or two exceptions but not likely.http://www.state.hi.us/dot/harbors/honolulu.htm

Just curious, how long a flight is it from Austrailia to Hawaii. I'd guess it might be about the same as our return flights to the east coast. I've never minded them so much, it always seemed worse traveling to Hawaii, of course the destination more than made up for the messed up "time clock".

A great contrast to the crowded conditions of the cruise boat is a private sunset charter on a luxury yacht in Hawaii. It's not as expensive as you think, and the experience will be something that is the highlight of your trip. Check out http://www.yachtchartershawaii.com for a selection of the best options on Oahu.

But they must be checked in and onboard no later than 7 pm. A sunset cruise is really not a practical thing for Pride ship pax to do. Plus, most pax want to be onboard earlier than the latest time in order to get settled, check into reservations for dinner, and start relaxing.

beachchick

Some of the extended itinerary Pride cruises do overnite in Honolulu, but still I can't think a sunset cruise would be much fun after a 14+ hour hassle with air ports and flights. Now if one was doing a fairly long pre cruise stay, maybe it would be nice, especially if you got to see "the green flash"

Hi,

Thanks for the really great maps. But it appears to me that pier 2 is nearer to the Aloha Marketplace rather then downtown.(Palace) It seems to be all the way at the end. Am I reading the map correct.

Your advice to all of us is so great...

Wattle,

I wanted to include this link also, gives a more detailed map of the piers. The Pride ships all leave out of pier 2 now, may be one or two exceptions but not likely.http://www.state.hi.us/dot/harbors/honolulu.htm

Just curious, how long a flight is it from Austrailia to Hawaii. I'd guess it might be about the same as our return flights to the east coast. I've never minded them so much, it always seemed worse traveling to Hawaii, of course the destination more than made up for the messed up "time clock".

The flight from Sydney to Hawaii is 9+ hours. We also have to flight from Brisbane to Sydney, another 1 and a half hours. Plus we have an hours drive to the airport. We leave home at 2.00pm of the 27th and arrive in Hawaii at 10.30am (Hawaiian time) on the 27th, so we actually gain a day, rather confusing. I hope we sleep on the plane.....

Some of the extended itinerary Pride cruises do overnite in Honolulu, but still I can't think a sunset cruise would be much fun after a 14+ hour hassle with air ports and flights. Now if one was doing a fairly long pre cruise stay, maybe it would be nice, especially if you got to see "the green flash"

Duh! (slaps forehead) I forgot that the PoAl was going to start the 10 and 11 night cruises. Totally agree about not doing one after a long travel day.

beachchick

Crusader,

I think you are reading the map correctly and the tower is probably closer. From some reports there is a free shuttle running between the tower complex and pier 2. The distances involved are not all that great and the walking is easy, no hills involved.

Wattle,

I never really understood the International Date LIne, but it still sounds like a long day of travel. What kills me when flying to Hawaii from Pa is the 5-6 hour time difference. You'll have it even worse when returning, guess you lose a whole day:)

Thanks everyone for your great advice :) . The links to the maps are excellant....... I thinks we will just checkin or baggage and just have a walk around. I can't wait to get on to the ship, so we are not really looking for anything in particular to do (we may just be a little too early to board). We have two days post cruise to have a good look around.

Archived