Mercury Sky Suite Vs Conceirge Class

Puddinpie01

Question for everyone. I know the size of the cabin is larger and you have the butler service for the SS, but do you also get the same extras included in the CC? It shows CC gets fresh flowers, fruit, extra special bathrobes etc, but this is not mentioned on SS.

We are indulging in our first suite ever on the May 25th trip to Alaska. We are sooooo excited!

Thanks so much for your replies.:)

Didn't get the enhanced breakfast menu or flowers (both cabin and bathroom in CC) in the Sky Suite and some odd little things like the fresh breath mints, but did everything else pretty much including the fruit and thicker bathrobes. No harm in asking your butler for those things when you first meet him. The strawberry smoothie on the CC breakfast menu is yum!

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

I was just able to move from a CC to a SS for a few hundred dollars ( basically the cost of a few days at the Thalostherapy Pool).

What do I need to know about the Sky Suites ( cabin 1012)?

How do I approach the Butler about dinner in the room?

Do I tip that night and at the end of the cruise or wait for the end to

show my grattitude?

What about the breakfast menu? Is it the same as CC or not - I have read conflicting posts?

Anything else I need to know?

Darrell Duncan

You will enjoy the Sky Suite very much. We just got back from Alaska Cruise We had suite 1202. We have had a CC room, and they are very nice but since this last cruise was a bit longer I wanted the extra room. Plus the Jacuzzi tub is wonderful at the end of the evening after walking around all day. There is a lot of storage, and more room to move around. We had breakfast every morning in our room. Just fill out the breakfast menu, Which is different than the CC room, and put outside the door. I asked for their wonderful Waffles one morning. I just wrote it on, which he had told us to do if it wasn't on the menu. I didn't know that he had to go get them from the Waffle bar. They weren't on the Kitchen menu. He was a little late that morning and apologized because he said the waffle bar didn't open until whatever time. I can't remember. I then apologized saying I didn't know they also weren't served in the kitchen, and he would have to go get them. He said oh no Madam it was no problem at all. Oh, I miss him. :) Whatever time you request breakfast your phone will ring just a bit before, and it will be your butler to say he is arriving shortly with your breakfast. I asked our butler the first morning for coffee , and would it also be possible to also get a pot of the Cappicino from Cova Cafe. He brought it every morning thereafter. It's free when he brings it to you. If you go get it yourself you pay. We didn't dine in the room for dinner as we had family, and would meet up for dinner every evening. However I did ask our butler if he could prepare a sailaway party for 6 when we left Juneau. When we came back after a long day. He had champagne chilling, Fresh Fruit, cheeses, crackers, Shrimp, Cookies, little bread sandwiches. Make sure you ask well in advance. I gave him 50.00 I think it was the second day, Just because his service was great, and then we tipped at the end of the cruise. I think now I'm spoiled. We just asked on the first day. What he could do for us, and what kind of notice he expected from us. Hope you have a great cruise.

We had suite 1202 for our Mexican Riviera cruise last year. We learned fast to be in the room around 3:30 when our butler came around for afternoon tea. It was nice to relax in the room with a cup of hot tea and some cookies.

What were you doing in my room!!! :D HAHAHA. Isn't it a great Suite. I have it again in October. Do you remember the name of your Butler? Ours was Effron. I'm not sure if he will still be there in October, but I can't wait to see. I'm trying to get my husband prepared for the idea that I WILL be booking another cruise while onboard this next time.

Here's to future cruising!!!

He was our butler, too. We were on the Mercury at the end of the Noro outbreak. I think because the staff was working overtime to clean the ship, we didn't get the full benefit of the butler service. Didn't you just love that balcony?

Didn't you just love that balcony?

Ohhhh, it brings tears to my eye's. It was the best!!! I spent a lot of my time out on it :)

We were on the Mercury at the end of the Noro outbreak

When was that? I think I saw something about it in a Seattle article that I was reading online. That is generally the main reason I usually never do the buffet. It's one of those things that make me nuts. watching other people lick their fingers, or cough and then touch the utensil's that I'm going to use to dish up my food next. For some reason (I have no idea why) it just makes me crazy. So I generally just stay away.

I was wondering did you use the air conditioning on your trip? I was wondering how well it works. I would like to do the Panama Canal, but I am NOT a hot weather person. I want my air conditioning. Does it work well? On this last trip I noticed they kept it pretty warm everywhere. I had to keep going outside just to cool off, and we were in Alaska. I think most of the staff are used to really warm weather. So they thought 75 was cold, and they were all saying how cold it was.

Why does the balcony on this room look different on the deck plans? The others have a little cut out thingy. And, it is the only cabin left for the date I am looking at. Worries me. Why hasn't anyone taken it if the balcony is bigger?

There are only about 4 cabins on that deck that have balconies without the cutout. 1202 is one of them. and a huge balcony it is. maybe someone in that cabin cancelled and that is why it was available when you booked. that cabin is in a great location. just steps away from the pool. And, the air conditioner worked fine. I like the room chilled, and I had no complaints.

We were on the Mercury which departed from San Diego on 04/07/06. The couple of cruises before that were dubbed the "bleach cruises". We were on at the tail end of the Noro outbreak. About three days into the cruise, the spraying of the bleach was slowing down. When we first got to our cabin, every surface was spotted because of the bleach spraying. We just wet a couple of towels and wiped everything down and did our own polishing. A lot of the surfaces, like the room number plaques showed some damage from the bleach. About halfway into the cruise, I developed a bad cough. I swear it was from the bleach fumes. I may not have gotten much sleep, but I didn't let it ruin my cruise.

Don't forget to try the waffles at the waffle station for breakfast. And you must try the pasta station. We had late seating, and between afternoon tea and dinner, we would go get a plate of pasta tossed in garlic and olive oil. A very tasty snack. Yum!

Thanks ebk2795 for the info on the air conditioning. My DH didn't seem to think the air conditioning would keep the rooms that cool, and he knows how much I don't like to be hot:) It doesn't really bother him.

Wow with all that bleach did it ruin your clothes? Did you just try not to touch anything. So far that's never happened to us. Hope it stay's that way, but sounds like you didn't let it ruin your vacation. That's the right way to do it.

I have to agree with ebk2795. Someone must have cancelled their reservation. If you look at pictures of the side of the ship the balcony's follow the window's that look out of the buffet below. That's why they are 179 sq ft not the usual 69 sq feet. Get it if it's still available. I'm attaching a picture to show you how large they are. This is from our May trip in Vancouver BC port before we sailed for Alaska. Hope it comes through.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/callie6_2007/dave84.jpg

Do you remember the name of your Butler? Ours was Effron.

Is Effron short and dark-haired? If he is Effron, where is he from?

I remembered that last March, while on the Mercury in the humid Mexican Riviera, I was pounding along on the jogging track when the butler passed me at an effortless pace, in full uniform, apparently to undertake an urgent last-minute request by a suite occupant. What dedication!

Donald.

Thanks ebk2795 for the info on the air conditioning. My DH didn't seem to think the air conditioning would keep the rooms that cool, and he knows how much I don't like to be hot:) It doesn't really bother him.

Wow with all that bleach did it ruin your clothes? Did you just try not to touch anything. So far that's never happened to us. Hope it stay's that way, but sounds like you didn't let it ruin your vacation. That's the right way to do it.

I have to agree with ebk2795. Someone must have cancelled their reservation. If you look at pictures of the side of the ship the balcony's follow the window's that look out of the buffet below. That's why they are 179 sq ft not the usual 69 sq feet. Get it if it's still available. I'm attaching a picture to show you how large they are. This is from our May trip in Vancouver BC port before we sailed for Alaska. Hope it comes through.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/callie6_2007/dave84.jpg

We just made a concious effort early on not to lean on any surfaces. We had no problems.

We had suite 1202 for our Mexican Riviera cruise last year. We learned fast to be in the room around 3:30 when our butler came around for afternoon tea. It was nice to relax in the room with a cup of hot tea and some cookies.

We had suite 1202 as well for our Mexico cruise January 07 and Efron was our butler.

He was ok, just not as friendly as I was expecting. But the suite was fantastic, we thought it was the perfect location.:)

Archived