ketchikan itinerary

travelcrazy006

cruising the first week in july, will be in ketchikan for 8 hours, haven't seen any major excursion that i want to do, does anyone have suggestions to fill my day. i would certainly like to see the town and maybe a boat ride to misty fjords, (already doing a flight in denali don't really want to do another). but other than that i'm not sure. i was hoping to do a short fishing/salmon bake type of trip, but haven't seen any of those listed for ketchikan. any help would be appreciated

We had a low-key day in Ketchikan. My husband and son went kayaking (which they said was great!) and my daughter and I got off and booked a tour with Sourdough to Saxman. Our driver was awesome - she was a Ketchikan native and pointed out lots of sights, took us to see some eagles' nests, did a great tour at the Saxman park. She dropped us off back at Dolly's House and we poked around Creek Street and meandered back through town to the ship. Fun day! Not a lot of excitement, but we felt like we got the flavor of the town and the area.

We have been there 4 times. The last time we took a Duck tour from a vendor on shore. Then we walked to Creek Street (Dolly's House) . Most people miss the interesting trail behind Dolly's that follows the creek and several fish ladders. At the top is a small park and hathery. Then we walked back to town and the ship.

We had a low-key day in Ketchikan. My husband and son went kayaking (which they said was great!) and my daughter and I got off and booked a tour with Sourdough to Saxman. Our driver was awesome - she was a Ketchikan native and pointed out lots of sights, took us to see some eagles' nests, did a great tour at the Saxman park. She dropped us off back at Dolly's House and we poked around Creek Street and meandered back through town to the ship. Fun day! Not a lot of excitement, but we felt like we got the flavor of the town and the area.

Did you book the tour with Sourdough when you got off the ship, or ahead of time as a planned excursion?

My DH and I do not have much planned for our day in Ketchikan, and look forward to a day to just enjoy the port without running from one excursion to another. We will be in Ketchikan on July 4, so we are definitely gonna catch the parade through town!

We booked when we got to the dock and were able to get in with a group leaving about an hour later. It's a little tourist-center type building on the dock with several vendors inside. I would suggest going as soon as you get off the ship and pick a vendor and a time slot, then plan your shopping/eating/parade watching around that. When we bought our tickets, they also gave us little coupons to go get free rain slickers from Little Switzerland, so we did that beforehand.

i would certainly like to see the town and maybe a boat ride to misty fjords, (already doing a flight in denali don't really want to do another). but other than that i'm not sure. i was hoping to do a short fishing/salmon bake type of trip, but haven't seen any of those listed for ketchikan. any help would be appreciated

A cruise to Misty Fjord runs about 5 hours...plan around that if this is a must see for you...

If you like fishing, this really is the best place!!!! When you're done, they will process them and have them shipped back to your home when you arrive. Really, really, great fishing!!!!:D

Ketchikan is right as you dock. You don't even have to walk into town. Last time we were there just a few hours. The next cruise I plan to walk more around town. They have a museum not far from the dock that we would love to go thru. So many shops, lots of activity on the docks, places to eat. Really a fun place to stop.

I normally book privately but we took a trip through the cruise line and it was fantastic. We took a jetboat that started at a fishing resort. We toured all around the backwaters (though it is still the Pacific Ocean!) The water was like glass and someone asked the tour operator (who had lived there his entire life what lake we were on.;) ) It was scenic , relaxing and beautiful. It left time to walk around the town.

My husband and son did kayaking ( again through the cruise ship) and liked it so much that they hired a pivate guide and went kayak fishing in October (and they don't even fish)

I love to shop eat, drink and relax but if you stay in the ports and do that you really miss Alaska(IMHO):rolleyes:

Enjoy

Sandy

cruisebunny, what cruise line was that through, sounds nice, how long a trip was it? i agree, even though it would be nice to relax a little but i do want to do more than sit on the dock, i just don't want to be running all day. thanks

We are also there for only 8 hours, have booked with Northern Lights Charters to fish. Not much for fishing myself, but my boyfriend is really looking forward to it. Reasonable prices, they handle everything.

cruisebunny, what cruise line was that through, sounds nice, how long a trip was it? i agree, even though it would be nice to relax a little but i do want to do more than sit on the dock, i just don't want to be running all day. thanks

We were on a Princess ship. The jetboat trip was about 3 hours from the ship and back. I think that the kayaking trip was about 3 hours. If I can remember the name of the fishing lodge for the jetboat trip I will post it. The man who was our guide had worked at the fishing lodge for ten years. He fed bald eagles every morning. The trees were full of them.

Sandy

we did the boat tour to misty fjords last week and enjoyed it lots. We saw several whales and sea lions and scenery was spectacular!!

beautiful day for the trip, it was sunny and clear. we went last week monday.:o

we did the boat tour to misty fjords last week and enjoyed it lots. We saw several whales and sea lions and scenery was spectacular!!

beautiful day for the trip, it was sunny and clear. we went last week monday.:o

How about a review of your trip?

I did the Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer and really enjoyed it. The scenery was beautiful. The length of the tour does limit the amount of time to wander around Ketchican and any shopping.

We have been there 4 times. The last time we took a Duck tour from a vendor on shore. Then we walked to Creek Street (Dolly's House) . Most people miss the interesting trail behind Dolly's that follows the creek and several fish ladders. At the top is a small park and hathery. Then we walked back to town and the ship.

How did you like the Duck Tour? Were you allowed to get off at certain sights? Thanks.

We are planning to do the same thing - we even knew about the trail behind Dolly's house, but didn't know that it ends in a park/hatchery, so thanks for the tip! How did you enjoy the Duck Tour? And di you book in advance or once you arrived? I'd like to wait to see what the weather is like, but I'm also afraid it will get booked and we'll miss out... any advice?

Thank you! :)

Archived