Airports accessible to Long Beach port (CA)...

MamaParrotHead

Doing some research on a possible Pride cruise. I've never really been to the West coast before, so I'm not familiar with the area, as far as which airports are within a reasonable distance from the pier, how Long Beach's "reputation" is as far as ease and organization of embarkation/debarkation. Also looking for your favorite excursions in the ports of call (PV, Mazatlan and Cabo). Anyone care to give me the scoop? Pretty please? :D

Doing some research on a possible Pride cruise. I've never really been to the West coast before, so I'm not familiar with the area, as far as which airports are within a reasonable distance from the pier, how Long Beach's "reputation" is as far as ease and organization of embarkation/debarkation. Also looking for your favorite excursions in the ports of call (PV, Mazatlan and Cabo). Anyone care to give me the scoop? Pretty please? :D

Long Beach ariport is probably the closest, but LAX is very do-able as well. John Wayne is on Orange County, and isn't far either. We wnt on the Pride Jan. 2004. Ther terminal wan nice, and clean. I think it took us around 2 hours to get on board. As far as the 3 porets, we loved all of them I did the dolphin encounter in Puerta, mu husband did an excursion at Las Kalitas. He loved it. We just went onto town in Mazatlan and did a whale watching in Cabo. We loved Cabo so much we went back twice for vacations.! Good louck..

We flew in and out of Long Beach for our Pride cruise. It was a nice little airport.

We got to the cruise port early, checked in on the Queen Mary and did a tour of the ship. We then wandered over to the dome and were on the ship fairly quickly.

We went on a tequila factory tour in PV and loved it. We just wandered around in Mazatlan and weren't impressed. I think I'd do a tour if I went back there again. We did a tour of the area in Cabo and enjoyed getting away from the touristy area.

Have fun!

Denise

Mama,

Long Beach Airport (LGB) is a stone throw's away from the cruiseship terminal, so to speak. Problem is airfares are not always that cheap flying there.

Los Angeles International (LAX) is by far the most convenient for most flights and not that far of a drive to/from LGB. But Los Angeles traffic being what it is, the drive can be a nightmare, timewise. Most flights are CHEAPEST to LAX.

John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, Orange County (SNA) is also a good alternative, sometimes you can get real good deals on airfare there. The drive also is not too bad of a distance.

Ontario Airport (ONT) is Southern California's hidden gem, if you ask me.

It is like maybe 1 hour away at most from LGB, is really laid-back and never a crowd there. Airfare prices can be a hit or miss although we have made some real good deals flying in/out of ONT.

Bob Hope Airport in Burbank (BUR), I have not flown much from this one. It is a VERY BUSY airport, whenever I checked for airfares, I never could find cheap enough prices. Depending on how bad freeway traffic is, it may take you upwards of 60-90 minutes to drive to LGB.

As regards the ports-of-call, if you do a search on some of my earlier posts in March, I had posted some fun things you can do up and down the Mexican Riviera and also if interested, I had posted some info where you can get free wireless internet access using local WiFi hotspots in the various ports-of-call.

Hope that helps, if you need any additional info, please fire away.

Happy cruising :)

Capt

Doing some research on a possible Pride cruise. I've never really been to the West coast before, so I'm not familiar with the area, as far as which airports are within a reasonable distance from the pier, how Long Beach's "reputation" is as far as ease and organization of embarkation/debarkation.

This might help

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Cruise_Ship_Terminals__Parking__Directions__LONG_BEACH_CRUISE_TERMINAL.aspx

How Do I Get to the Long Beach Cruise Terminal? spacer.gif

ADDRESS: 231 Windsor Way

Long Beach, CA 90802

Travel Time: 23 miles from Los Angeles International Airport; travel time is approximately 50 minutes.12 miles from Long Beach Airport; travel time is approximately 20 minutes.

LAX to port in Long Beach isn't that bad a drive. Best is to avoid afternoon rush hour since the majority of traffic is going south from LAX at that time. Even then you're looking at 45 minutes max under normal circumstances. Morning traffic flows much quicker as you are going "against" traffic while traveling south from LAX.

From Iowa (DSM or CID) you will be FAR better off flying into LAX. Flights from either Iowa city will cost about $150+ more to fly into LGB.

The most direct from Iowa (DSM or CID) is AA to LAX. Regional jet to either STL (CID) or DFW (DSM). Then onto LAX.

Long Beach may be closer to the port and both Santa Anna (Orange County) and Long Beach are smaller airports, easier to negotiate. But from IOWA, your best bet for price is LAX, unless you just happen to find a sale fare.

This from someone who flies to DSM/CID on a regular basis from either LAX or PHX (we live 1/2 way between the two).

As someone who's travelled quite a bit, it occured to me how "out of my element" I was when I started checking out airfare and had NO clue, LOL.

One more question...can anyone tell me what cab fare is from any of these airports to the pier? And what time people start arriving at the pier?

Thanks a ton!;)

As someone who's travelled quite a bit, it occured to me how "out of my element" I was when I started checking out airfare and had NO clue, LOL.

One more question...can anyone tell me what cab fare is from any of these airports to the pier? And what time people start arriving at the pier?

Thanks a ton!;)

LAX to Long Beach/San Pedro

Super Shuttle/other shuttle companies-about $15.00pp.

Taxi-about $40.00 with tip

Everyone is in a big hurry to board. Figure 1-2:00PM is a good time.

Mama,

Long Beach Airport (LGB) is a stone throw's away from the cruiseship terminal, so to speak. Problem is airfares are not always that cheap flying there.

Los Angeles International (LAX) is by far the most convenient for most flights and not that far of a drive to/from LGB. But Los Angeles traffic being what it is, the drive can be a nightmare, timewise. Most flights are CHEAPEST to LAX.

John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, Orange County (SNA) is also a good alternative, sometimes you can get real good deals on airfare there. The drive also is not too bad of a distance.

Ontario Airport (ONT) is Southern California's hidden gem, if you ask me.

It is like maybe 1 hour away at most from LGB, is really laid-back and never a crowd there. Airfare prices can be a hit or miss although we have made some real good deals flying in/out of ONT.

Bob Hope Airport in Burbank (BUR), I have not flown much from this one. It is a VERY BUSY airport, whenever I checked for airfares, I never could find cheap enough prices. Depending on how bad freeway traffic is, it may take you upwards of 60-90 minutes to drive to LGB.

As regards the ports-of-call, if you do a search on some of my earlier posts in March, I had posted some fun things you can do up and down the Mexican Riviera and also if interested, I had posted some info where you can get free wireless internet access using local WiFi hotspots in the various ports-of-call.

Hope that helps, if you need any additional info, please fire away.

Happy cruising :)

Capt

I posted earlier, and I can't beleive I forgot Burbank and Ontario. We live in Santa Clarita Valley, and are always thrilled when wwe can fly out of Burbank instead of LAX. My husband works in Ontario ( actually he's right next to the airport ), so I try to avoid that airport if possible. We've found their fares are about the same as LAX, and for us it's an easier drive for us. Actually, Long Beach is so centrally located, all the airports are do-able. You gave her some great info!

I posted earlier, and I can't beleive I forgot Burbank and Ontario. We live in Santa Clarita Valley, and are always thrilled when wwe can fly out of Burbank instead of LAX. My husband works in Ontario ( actually he's right next to the airport ), so I try to avoid that airport if possible. We've found their fares are about the same as LAX, and for us it's an easier drive for us. Actually, Long Beach is so centrally located, all the airports are do-able. You gave her some great info!

booooooooooo BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS :D :D

THANK YOU :D

Archived