Where is VOLCANO WINERY?

mew1

As another poster mentioned, Tedesci winery is in Ulupalakua on the road to Haleakala. It's small, but interesting. On a nice day, it's a beautiful place to go and kick back for a while.

As another poster mentioned, Tedesci winery is in Ulupalakua on the road to Haleakala. It's small, but interesting. On a nice day, it's a beautiful place to go and kick back for a while.

This isn't quite accurate. It's on one of the primary roads you take to get to the road that goes up to the summit of Haleakala, but it is quite a ways after the start of the summit road. You take 37 (Kula Hwy) to 377 (Haleakala Hwy) to get to 378 (Crater Road, which goes up to the summit). To go to Tedeschi, you would either skip the 377 turnoff and continue on 37 out to Ulupalakua OR you would take 377 until it reconnects with 37 and continue on to Ulupalakua. Tedeschi is about 10 miles past the turnoff to 378 and takes about 30 minutes, maybe a smidge more because this is not freeway driving.

I agree that it's a nice place to stop and enjoy the grounds, which are lovely, and just kind of kick back for a break.

beachchick

They will take it when you go through security and you can get it back on the last day. Mine was actually delivered to my cabin the night before we arrived back in Honolulu.

I know that's the case with hard liquor, but I'm not sure about wine.

It is an American port and not duty free....why take it??? Just a thought after I posted asking if you could bring onboard.:confused:

Because it's a novelty that you won't find many other places.

If you're on an NCLA ship, you can take it onboard for consumption if you are willing to pay the $15 per bottle "corkage" fee. If you just want to take it home as a souvenier, then you can have them hold it for you until the end of the cruise. If you're taking it home, you can ask at the winery to box it for air travel. (Some wineries charge extra for the special box, but it's well worth it.) That way you can label it and check it as "luggage" on your flight home (or if it's a small box, you can pack it in your suitcase safely).

beachchick

Does anyone know if the ship tour to VNP stops at the Volcano Winery?

It did not in 2006 when we were on the Island. BTW, I have not joined your roll call on the 11-03 Diamond yet, but will shortly as DW and I are on the same cruise.

Volcano Winery is very, very small. I do not think that everyone on a bus tour could fit inside at the same time.

They only have 5 or 6 wines...and the tasting only takes a few minutes. There is also a small gift shop. The wines are not particularly great...but they are not particularly bad either. We usually make a quick stop at the winery with our out of town visitors on the day that we are showing them the Volcano Nat'l Park.

Archived