NCL Website showing "Excuse Us"

Us2inFL

:confused: Tech people at any corporation are not responsible for the 100,000s of different configurations of the public. Just not their job to trouble shoot an individual PC. That is why most companies lock down individual internal user PCs and have a standard config on all of them.

....who was the only one of use smart enough to call the source of the conflict :)

Shoreguy,

Your response is not factual. Every time I spoke with NCL Tech, they asked if I was running NIS. I told them I was, and as I posted before, I was able to successfully access the NCL site through AOL, which runs along side the same Norton program). In addition I am in fact using the conventional settings (right "out of the box") and therefore there aren't the hundreds of thousand of combinations you postulate.

Calling "the source of the conflict" was not broached since there was at no time any reason to think that Norton Internet Security was in any way affecting the matter.

Emote :cool: :mad: :o less and collate the facts completely before shooting so quickly from the hip.

Shoreguy,

Your response is not factual. Every time I spoke with NCL Tech, they asked if I was running NIS. I told them I was, and as I posted before, I was able to successfully access the NCL site through AOL, which runs along side the same Norton program). In addition I am in fact using the conventional settings (right "out of the box") and therefore there aren't the hundreds of thousand of combinations you postulate.

Calling "the source of the conflict" was not broached since there was at no time any reason to think that Norton Internet Security was in any way affecting the matter.

Emote :cool: :mad: :o less and collate the facts completely before shooting so quickly from the hip.

You are one case and one configuration of one program. There are 1000s of other just security programs on others PCs that could cause conflicts with a web hosted application. Add in the different combinations of programs, releases of those programs and you have in fact 100,000s of posible causes of problems.

Your response is not factual. Every time I spoke with NCL Tech, they asked if I was running NIS. I told them I was, and as I posted before, I was able to successfully access the NCL site through AOL, which runs along side the same Norton program

I have Norton and I can't access NCL through AOL or IE7!

That's because you are one case and one configuration of one program.

Spin the wheel again and hope for better luck.

(sorry I am generally not a sarcastic person.)

I have turned off the blocks in Firefox and IE7 and I still can not access NCL.com. I've only gotten in when I momentarily disabled Norton, or used the alternate link posted previously. Also, there have been reports from people who do not have Norton yet are experiencing this problem, so unfortunately this so called fix or bypass is not an "end all" for all people.

The problem first occurred with me approximately 6 weeks ago, and I am not aware of any changes I made to Firefox, IE7, or Norton.

Tomct, I also use Firefox and IE7. I upgraded the firefox on April 4th to 2.0.0.3 . I'm using 2006 versions for my Norton products and get updates regularily. I suggest you contact Symantec using their free chat service (which is fantastic) and see what they can do for you. Use the help and support feature when you open your program, otherwise go to: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ Click on Home and home office. Click on Technical support and find your product. From their do as it states. The tech support is live on line and can help you.

Ummm, I dont have to shutdown my Norton at all for the site to work. I hope my antivirus is working properly. The site works fine for me.

It wasn't the anti-virus that seemed to cause the problem, it was the firewall. I was one of those who reported no problems when I temporarily disabled my firewall. Based on some of the other comments here, I went into my firewall and disabled ONLY the ad blocking portion. Works fine.

If I enable ad blocking and refresh the home page, it goes back to the "Excuse Me" page. Exact same results with Firefox and IE7.

So, question for you... Is ad blocking enabled or disabled on your Norton Firewall?

Pete

It has been 8 weeks since I have been able to enter the NCL website via NCL.com. Tonight, as I was trying to help another CC'er access the Advanced Registration Form, I found I was able to get in the "front door", ie. NCL.com!! I was also able to reach the Advanced Registration Form, and even accessed my booked reservation.

Though the other poster had already tried using the direct link, I recommended trying it again, and included the address the form's page. Guess what: after I posted it, I tried the link myself and got the same error message as the OP. Strange indeed!!

I will try contacting their tech dept. tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Yes, tonight was the first night in over a month that I have been able to access the NCL site without the "excuse us" stuff.

All my Norton stuff is enabled, and it's nice to see that the problem, hopefully is finally resolved.

I've now enabled my anti spam and ad blocking and the NCL site is working fine. I think NCL had to work out what was causing most of us not to access the site for a period of time. Hopefully this "excuse us" message will be a thing of the past. At least I know what to do in the future if it happens again on NCL or any other site.

Thank goodness! I just re-enabled my blockers and the site works. I was getting very tired of all those ads popping up. I logged in to my reservations, and it says the itinerary for my cruise is not there. Others are experiencing that problem as well. Luckily, I know I'm registered.

Congratulations to the Techs at NCL Automation Support, in (I hope) finally solving the difficult puzzle they had with the Excuse Us message. As a retired IT professional, I appreciate how weird this one was to solve! They installed the fix over the weekend, and it appears to be working fine. They still have an unrelated problem with the Advanced Guest Registration page, but they seem to know what is causing it and hopefully can get a fix on that soon.

For those who have been posting their experiences here, they do monitor CruiseCritic.com for alerts on such problems, and were specifically reading this thread for information that might be helpful to their diagnosis. They didn't say this, but I think it was helpful because CC'ers here were taking the time to try and help each other through it, and not just hammering NCL for poor website design. I mentioned to them how I liked the site map on the old system, and could never find it on this one. I learned it is a recent addition, as it helps me avoid wading through the site to get to something I know is there, and just could not locate it.

Pardon the pun, but I hope it's "smooth sailing" from here.

I hope it's temporary, but that dreaded "Excuse Us" message has returned this evening. I could not even get the direct link to the "Site Map" to work. Maybe they are installing another "fix".

Tomct, I think you are right that the site is going through a fix. I wasn't having any problems until this evening. Since the registration section is a problem, NCL is more than likely working on it. I do know that the Norton Anti Spam and Ad Blocking has nothing to do with it as I did try to disable these features on the off chance this was the problem again.

"Excuse Us....." is what I just got when trying to access ncl.com....

I'm getting pretty tired of the site's problems.

Also... I received an email a couple of days ago asking me to check out all of the great repositioning cruises NCL had for 2007/2008.... when I'd click on the link it would bring me to the page of the ship with the tabs for the x#of days cruise.... I'd click on that and it would just recycle back to the page. I would not get any information. I then tried searching for the itineraries and pricing on a cruise website and they were not coming up. So....I still have no further info about those cruises. NCL may have just lost a sale..... Goodness knows I like a great deal....but how can I tell if I can't get information?

Frustration and impatience happen very quickly in today's society. NCL in all probability is losing clients because of the internet problems. I grade NCL's IT dept an F. This has gone on WAY too long.

Kathy

Tomct, I think you are right that the site is going through a fix. I wasn't having any problems until this evening. Since the registration section is a problem, NCL is more than likely working on it. I do know that the Norton Anti Spam and Ad Blocking has nothing to do with it as I did try to disable these features on the off chance this was the problem again.

I just got home for the day, and had an email from NCL saying they were doing some cleanup on the site following their fix to the "Excuse Us" problem we have been experiencing. I think last night was the legitimate message for the site being temporarily down!!

Again, they are aware of other issues, but I'd guess they are pleased they finally cracked this one. They have statistics on how many times the messages appear, and they knew how many were travel agents vs. their customer requests.

I urge anyone having other apparent system problems to continue to post them here or maybe more appropriately on the other thread entitled "NCL website buggy" as Tech Support personnel are monitoring them.

jkloni:

Please let me know if you still have a problem accessing cruise information. NCL feels they may have solved that one. It does appear the long term problem impacting many of us has been resolved.

As I have mentioned a few times, computer problems that occur to some and not others, and without a noticeable pattern that can be traced, are very difficult to solve. Kinda like a problem with your car that appears intermittently, and then when you bring it to a mechanic, of course it doesn't happen.

Tom

Hi Tomct,

Just now, I was able to access the NCL website and my 2 reservations. The Nov 3, 07 cruise still doesn't have excursion options for the first 4 ports (St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia and Aruba).

Unfortunately I no longer have the email from NCL describing the 2007/2008 repositioning cruises to see if the links now work for further information..... I really wanted to look at that. Oh, well....

Thanks for your concern.

Kathy

Archived