I won't Auto-tip!! Some crew may or may not get screwed

steveaaaa

Any time I hear this on a ship the immediate action is to give a "1" or POOR rating to whatever department has suggested we do this. I refuse to be coerced into ranking items higher just because not doing it is a "black mark" on some departments record. :mad:

Requesting this sort of action is ridiculous and completely subverts the entire rating system!

Though I am sure most go along with this.

Cheers,

Peter

I agree on this one, having worked on satisfaction surveys in the past, it defeats the purpose of having even a limited rating scale... sounds like coersion to me...

I have read a variety of the posts on this thread. I am not sure of the history of this poster, but some of the responses need to stay on task and address the issue.

As a family of four, we will only do automated tipping. We do not want that much cash sitting in our cabin safe for 7-10 days. Secondly, when you think of the tips some of the waiters make per cruise, with no chance to run to a bank and deposit that cash in between sailings, it is far safer and more convenient for staff to have that money in their pay checks. For some, that money is direct deposited in accounts in their homeland and converted to their homeland currency. Thus their wives and families are provided for while they are at sea earning a living.

Not all large corporations are thieves. CCL would lose money if they treated their staff unfairly as the service would stink and the complaints would be far greater than they are now.

Like many other things in life, there are pros and cons. Do what you need to do, but don't do the wrong thing by not tipping at all.

I have read a variety of the posts on this thread. I am not sure of the history of this poster, but some of the responses need to stay on task and address the issue.

As a family of four, we will only do automated tipping. We do not want that much cash sitting in our cabin safe for 7-10 days. Secondly, when you think of the tips some of the waiters make per cruise, with no chance to run to a bank and deposit that cash in between sailings, it is far safer and more convenient for staff to have that money in their pay checks. For some, that money is direct deposited in accounts in their homeland and converted to their homeland currency. Thus their wives and families are provided for while they are at sea earning a living.

Not all large corporations are thieves. CCL would lose money if they treated their staff unfairly as the service would stink and the complaints would be far greater than they are now.

Like many other things in life, there are pros and cons. Do what you need to do, but don't do the wrong thing by not tipping at all.

Thank you for a very well worded posts!!! I had heard that many left on the sign and sail was available to families throug debit cards much quicker than anything else!

I have always wondered why folks agonize over this tipping issue all the time. For the new folks, they certainly can ask away.

Seems to me if you cruise, you probably can afford to pay $10 per day with no problems. Sorta like if you can afford to by a $80,000.00 car, you probably can afford to take it to a car wash and pay for it without ever batting an eyelash

On another companys board/usenet he stated he got booted off of CC.Actually that is how I found this board.

i'm sorry to hear that. i actually remember him taking the brunt of most comments. not the other way around. well, best we not talk about it any further, i guess. thanks for the info.

i'm sorry to hear that. i actually remember him taking the brunt of most comments. not the other way around. well, best we not talk about it any further, i guess. thanks for the info.

Why not?? He really got someone po'd. I searched for his posts and Steveaaaa isn't listed as a screen name! OUCH! He gets booted for getting hammered by you $100.+ per day tippers? His posts always advocated including the tips in the price and saying tipping is not needed. Until they do this I like him will remove auto tips on first day (except the $1 p/p p/d for alternate dinning) and tip on the last night in cash an amount I deem appropriate.

Archived