A Few Dining Questions From a First Time Cruiser

dcdave

I'm new to HAL and will be taking my first cruise on the June 24th Noordam cruise to Alaska. I had a couple of questions concerning the dinner menus and ordering dinner via room service.

1. Are the menus delivered to all rooms each day or just some room types? (I'll be staying in an SS class room.)

2. Are you able to order dinner from the main dining room menu via room service if you want? (I saw from some earlier posts that this has been an available option in the past.)

3. If so, are you able to order anything off of the main dining room menu or are some items not available? (That seems to be the case if you eat dinning in the Lido dinning room.)

4. Are the dinner menus on the seven day Alaska cruises the same as the seven day Caribbean menus?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave

Have done several Alaskan cruises.

The Alaskan menus are not the same -- more salmon entrees.

In 2006, they even tried some different mini-baked Alaska desserts for about 3 or 4 nights -- they didn't go over very well.

Only those in PS, SA, SB and SC will have the menus delivered to their cabins in the morning. You can go to the dining room around lunch time. The dinner menu is posted outside usually at that time.

You can order anything from the dining room menu for dinner. No restrictions. Just remember to call within 1/2 hour of the dining room opening. Can eat at any time you want.

Thanks for these responses. This will be my first time cruising with HAL too and I'm thrilled to know that you can order anythng off the menu to your room. This was not always the case with Princess and aren't there times when just one more bite of dessert before you turn in would be heaven??:D

.....aren't there times when just one more bite of dessert before you turn in would be heaven??:D

Yes, BUT.. don't forget you would have to know you will want something off the dinner menu and what you would want by approx. 6PM. You must order anything off that Dining Room Menu within 30 minutes or so of the dining room opening up for dinner and it must be delivered to your cabin sometime during the dinner hours. It's not a matter that at 11 you decide you want another taste of that dessert and can order it then- can't do. ;)

(However, there are some good desserts on the regular Room Service menu, so all is not lost.)

Thanks for the answers. We think we have a late seating in the dining room and there are a couple nights we might want to have dinner earlier.

Only six weeks to go!! I can't wait.

Thanks for the answers. We think we have a late seating in the dining room and there are a couple nights we might want to have dinner earlier.

Only six weeks to go!! I can't wait.

Noordam has started "anytime/leisure dining" with the Alaskan trips. Do a search here on the HAL board and you'll see MANY posts about it.

Yes, BUT.. don't forget you would have to know you will want something off the dinner menu and what you would want by approx. 6PM. You must order anything off that Dining Room Menu within 30 minutes or so of the dining room opening up for dinner and it must be delivered to your cabin sometime during the dinner hours. It's not a matter that at 11 you decide you want another taste of that dessert and can order it then- can't do. ;)

(However, there are some good desserts on the regular Room Service menu, so all is not lost.)

We decided to order room service on embarkation day but did not make the decision until 8pm. There was no problem at all, we ordered from the full dinner menu, 6 of us, and it was served 30 minutes later. At no time we were told that it was required to order any earlier.

This was on OS. Perhaps it differs by ship?

Archived