For those considering a bear viewing trip.....

smnornes

I finally finished posting video clips of our bear viewing trip for the world to see! We took Emerald Air from Homer in June and all I can say is WOW! I divided up the videos into 5 separate ones to keep the size down.

Go to www.traveltube.com and go to the A's section and look for Alaska Bear Viewing Trip. (Sorry, I can't get the actual link to work!)

From there, you can hop onto my video site and see the rest, I think. Enjoy! You will not be disappointed with this tour!

Read the rules - advertising is not allowed and that's all this is.

Dangy, I don't think its advertising, but I removed my post contents anyhow. Tons of people ask about bear viewing in Alaska. Rather than wondering what it is like, I posted to show them how amazing it is. I don't want to sell people the tour, for goodness sakes! I just want them to go do it for themselves because it is a once in a life time opportunity! But as I said, I cleared my post.

Dangy, I don't think its advertising, but I removed my post contents anyhow. Tons of people ask about bear viewing in Alaska. Rather than wondering what it is like, I posted to show them how amazing it is. I don't want to sell people the tour, for goodness sakes! I just want them to go do it for themselves because it is a once in a life time opportunity! But as I said, I cleared my post.

Most of the people that ask about Alaska bear viewing are asking in relation to cruise ship excursions.

Going to Homer, flying to the Katmai is NOT usually on the agenda for most cruisers. At LEAST two extra days must be allocated to Homer to allow for fog/rain cancellation. Not counting 5-6 hour drive both ways to/from Anchorage. Just not feasible for most cruisers, not only due to extra expenses (about $1400.00 for two-rental car, lodging, bear viewing, etc.), but the extra time needed.

I am in Homer every year at least once. And I have made a bear viewing excursion to the Katmai every year since 2001. This will be the 7th year. I have done all the trips-Brooks, Emerald, Hallo Bay. I am firm in my belief that Hallo Bay provides the best bang for your buck.

Thanks for the link -- and thanks for the quote from somebody who doesn't let others make their rules for them.

IF the mommitors decide a post is inappropriate, they will remove it.

I found your post and pictures extremely interesting and closely related to cruising for those who might want a pre or post tour. We are booked for bear watching at ISP and are looking forward to it.

Dangy, I don't think its advertising, but I removed my post contents anyhow. Tons of people ask about bear viewing in Alaska.

Yes, but noone asked. You started a thread directing us to link to your travel agency website. Don't insult us by trying to convince us it was altruistic.

I am in Homer every year at least once. And I have made a bear viewing excursion to the Katmai every year since 2001. This will be the 7th year. I have done all the trips-Brooks, Emerald, Hallo Bay. I am firm in my belief that Hallo Bay provides the best bang for your buck.

Greatam -

Since you are quite experienced with bear watching excursions from Homer and the likes I would love to have the opportunity to disccus my May 2008 plans with you if possible. DH and I did an Anan /Pack Creek excursion last May ('06) and had a great time watching and observing some bears. We plan on doing our own land tour this time around and visiting Seward, Soldotna, and Homer. Would love to know what you recommend we do with our 5-6 days on land. Priorities are bears and great fishing! Thanks!

Greatam -

Since you are quite experienced with bear watching excursions from Homer and the likes I would love to have the opportunity to disccus my May 2008 plans with you if possible. DH and I did an Anan /Pack Creek excursion last May ('06) and had a great time watching and observing some bears. We plan on doing our own land tour this time around and visiting Seward, Soldotna, and Homer. Would love to know what you recommend we do with our 5-6 days on land. Priorities are bears and great fishing! Thanks!

Sorry to tell you this, but most of May is just not a good time to go bear viewing. And very little fishing worth doing. The very end of May is a little better, but it is just too cold for the grasses to be very good bear food yet. So they are limited to clams and whatever else they can scrounge up. Until about June 10, the bears are pretty spread out and hard to see. The fish generally don't start running well until June 10. Can you reschedule the trip??? And you don't really need the cruise, IMHO, since you have already done that. There is so much to do and see in Alaska other than a cruise.

If at all possible, try to schedule your trip for mid August-mid September. You will have SPECTACULAR bear viewing AND fishing. The silver salmon come in from mid August on. The halibut fishing is great. And the bears are "power feeding" to get ready for winter. In Hallo Bay, the bears will spend almost all day in the ocean fishing. Truly a sight to see.

I wouldn't waste my money on an expensive bear viewing trip out of Homer in May. Just too "iffy".

If you really want to cruise, maybe you could schedule your 5-6 days in Homer, etc. around Labor Day, then get on a cruise. Prices in September are usually comparable to May.

Greatam, all good things to take into consideration. Ironically there are never any guarantees in life and last year when we visited in late May, everyone on here also told me it was too iffy to see bears. Ironically our guide out of Juneau knew exactly where to go and we were able to spend time amongst the bears. It was the highlight our of trip.

As for the timing, we are planning on late May/early June. (Same time as last year). We have very tight schedules in terms of being able to take vacation so we try in May/June and again in October usually - not sure if we could do Sept. but will think about it more. Although we've done the cruise thing before we really enjoyed Juneau, Skagway and Sitka and thought it is easiest to re-visit these ports via ship vs. flights, ferrys or other transportation. If you were to chance bears in late May - is there a particular tour company you would recommend?

If you were to chance bears in late May - is there a particular tour company you would recommend?

The only company I will go with ever again is Hallo Bay. They live in the Katmai on a private parcel of land from May until late September/early October. The bears are their whole life (and livelihood). Much better than a fly in trip where the pilot flies around and around and around trying to find bears. The bears are so used to the camp that the first thing you are told in bear orientation (if you are doing an overnighter)-open the cabin door and look out, before you step out. The bears sometimes sleep in the grass in the middle of the camp.

As I posted earlier, I have taken Emerald Air and was disappointed. We flew a whole lot. Gorgeous scenery, but not a lot of bears.

You are going totally at the wrong time for Brooks (July is peak for Brooks).

http://www.hallobay.com/

As for fishing, great halibut fishing out of Homer. The overnight/double limit trip is fantastic. We usually average about 100 pounds of take home fish on an overnight (feeds us halibut for a year). http://alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm

The best processor in Alaska, IMHO, is in Homer. Believe me, we have tried a lot of them-DH is a fishing nut. http://www.welovefish.com/

DH uses this guy every year (late August) for the first day to find out what the fish are biting on and where they are. http://www.silverfinguides.com/

Gary is out of Homer and usually fishes Deep Creek, Ninilchik and Anchor rivers north of Homer. You will need a car, as he meets you north of town.

You can also fish for free in the Homer Fishing Hole. Poles (for rent) and bait are available across the road at the little sporting goods store.

If you want to fish in Soldotna or just want a really good place to stay, try Pete's. http://www.petesfishing.com/ DH has tried quite a few places to stay and guides in Soldotna for Kings and keeps going back to Pete's. The cabins are really nice. You may get in some early run King's in late May.

Enjoy!!!

Curious. Why do you like the Hallo Bay trip over Brooks? Thanks.

The crowds at Brooks were a pain. When we went (2004), you walked out to the platform and only got to stay for 30 minutes. Then back to the end of the line. It was very crowded. It almost felt like a zoo, instead of "nature".

At Hallo Bay, depending on the time of year, the bears may be in the meadows or at the ocean/rivers. You may walk quite a bit to find the bears (5 miles or less at a very slow pace). One night (about 7:00PM) we followed our guide down to the little stream that is just south of the camp (about 1/2 mile). We were all really bummed-no bears. Then all of a sudden, bears emerged from all around us. At least 7 going to feed for the evening. We spent a couple of hours just sitting on logs and walking along behind the bears.

Then another night, I decided NOT to go for the evening walk. DH went and they found no bears. Me and another guest were sitting at the end of the "point", right outside the camp. Here comes Mom and 2 cubs, then another bear, right in front of the hiking group. They didn't see them, we did. Mom stuck around for about 1/2 hour. The other bear kept going.

And in late August/early September, the bears will literally spend the entire day in the ocean at "South Hallo Bay". Just find a place to sit down and watch.

One day, there were so many bears in the water and on the beach that Andy, Homer Air's pilot that shuttles everyone to Hallo Bay, could not land. He buzzed the bears and they still weren't moving. So he landed the plane about 1/2 mile from where he normally does. The plane got stuck in the sand. What a hoot trying to push the plane and KNOWING there were 1000 pound grizzlies within 100 feet of the plane. You won't find that at Brooks.

We have also gone with Hallo Bay on Aug 31st and had a great tour. We were on the one day fly in trip and we saw a total of about 6 bears, only one really close up for about 4 hrs. We had to leave to take off from the beach during low tide. Spending a night or two would be ideal as Greatam does, although it is extremely expensive. You can go to Hallo Bay's website and get the pricing and see lots of photos. Emerald Air is also very highly recomm.

Archived