Recommendations for Belize

Fairsky

I am going on the Carnival Legend in December and wanted some tour recommendations, I have never been to Belize and want to know what is not to be missed.....I enjoy snorkeling, Nature and History so there are a lot of things that interest me and I am very active....

Thanks

Family and I just returned from Belize ourselves - our first time. When you tender to shore you will be dumped out at the shopping village. DH and I had booked a private excursion with a local company by the name of Coral Breeze Tours http://www.coralbreezetours.com/ to snorkle at Shark Ray alley at Caye Caulker. We loved it.

Caye Caulker is an outlying island about 40 minutes by water taxi or boat away from the city. The ride was excellent and we were pleased to get get out of the city and see the real Belize. Our first top was the barrier reef (second largest in the world). Ash and Henni (our tour guides) led the small group out and over the reef where we saw a ton of sea life from barricudas, conch, eels, tarpon, stingrays, etc... We spent a good 40 minutes on the reef and had a great time.

The seond stop was the sandbar close by the reef termed Shark Ray alley. We were informed that many nurse sharks approach boats as they arrive (obviously looking for food and handouts) but as soon as people enter the water they take off. The stingrays stick around as they are more socialized with humans. We found that several of the nurse sharks stayed close by the boat within several feet of folks - great snorkling views.

Upon completion of this activitity we went ashore on Caye Caulker to a local restaurant for sandwiches and to look around for an hour before heading back to the city. Back at the city there was still about an hour to look around in the local craft stores or stop and have a drink at one of the numerous waterfront bars.

I am sure there are plenty of other wonderful actitvities and excursions to select from. Just thought I would share our "adventure" as it was quite memorable. Our ship also went to Roatan, Cayman and Coasta Maya - it was quite a toss up as to which was our favorite - possibly Belize.

Enjoy your vacation!

If you enjoy snorkeling, I second the recommendation of Coral Breeze's tour mentioned above. DW and I have been on this tour twice and enjoyed it very much. Check my cruise review in my sig. There is a detailed review of the excursion there. Also, note that I had concerns about the ladder in my review, but they were corrected for our second trip.

We went to Smugglers Run plantation and went horseback riding in the jungle with Trevor and Cathy. We really enjoyed it! You can look at the Smugglers Run or horseback riding in jungle threads over the next 2-3 pages or do a thread search on Smuggler Run to get some good ideas how people feel about it. Here is a link to a more detailed report and pictures I took. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=9878573&postcount=4

I hope to go back soon.

• 2 weeks later...
We used coralbreeze.com and had an excursion called Captain your own boat. It was alot of fun, Tony and James our guides were great!:)
That website is for a vet in Boynton Beach,FL!!:eek:

I am going on the Carnival Legend in December and wanted some tour recommendations, I have never been to Belize and want to know what is not to be missed.....I enjoy snorkeling, Nature and History so there are a lot of things that interest me and I am very active....

Thanks

We are going in November and are leaning toward a Lamanai tour. We want to climb the temples and you can't do that at the ruins in Mexico anymore. It is a little long but we have heard that Carnival will be opening a pier for Belize in early November - eliminating all the time it takes to tender.

We are going in November and are leaning toward a Lamanai tour. We want to climb the temples and you can't do that at the ruins in Mexico anymore. It is a little long but we have heard that Carnival will be opening a pier for Belize in early November - eliminating all the time it takes to tender.
We are also going in Nov and are thinking about the same tour.....looks pretty neat with the river boat part of it...........

We are booked on Legend for late January. I would be so happy if there was a pier instead of tender. Since we have already been there, done cave tubing, I was thinking to book a snorkel trip thru Carnival to avoid tendering. Now I will wait and see. If we can dock, I can book thru a local company instead.

Archived