Freestyle Dining means NO waiter show at dinner!

Dunder

The Freestyle dining on NCL was ok. The variety of food types was nice. But it presents 2 BIG problems in my opinion. One was that paying an extra $25/night for dinner was irritating since food should be included. But more important...no waiter show!!

:) I like going to dinner and the waiter knows my name every night. Plus, they dance, some sing and make jokes. This is one of the highlights of a regular cruise.

:confused: In the Freestyle method the waiters hardly smile and service lacks since they have no connection to their patrons. Different people serve you at each meal. Personally, I'll take scheduled dinner with entertainment over the NCL Freestyle method. But it is nice to have the choice if I decide to go NCL again.

I doubt you would like Princess then because they don't sing and dance at the anytime dining rooms. They offer traditional but, you have to book VERY early in order to get traditional.

Give me good service friendly but not familiar and good food and I will enjoy my wifes company and I am a happy person.

This may help was picking a room on the NCL Dawn.

:eek: We sailed on the NCL Dawn in cabin 8098 (window room). Be careful with this cabin area. Its above the Le Bistro/Impessions/cigar room area where they have a singer till late. You can hear the piano/guitar/singer below till late like 2am.

:) My parents were in 10601 and it was quiet all night (indoor room).

The rooms on the Dawn are comfortable and pretty. The indoor room was smaller than the outside room. Both have great showers/bathrooms. We all found the beds comfortable and clean.

:confused: In the Freestyle method the waiters hardly smile and service lacks since they have no connection to their patrons. Different people serve you at each meal. Personally, I'll take scheduled dinner with entertainment over the NCL Freestyle method.

You can request the same servers each night -- just ask to be seated in their area. I too enjoy having the same servers as they know my preferences, but I can do without the entertainment. To each his own!

I know this isn't for everyone, but my DH always tips a bartender at affairs (like weddings or all-inclusive vacations) BEFORE so that they remember him when he wants a drink and in turn will give us better service. I don't know if it would work on freestyle dining, but if you went to windows for dinner and tipped someone up front, maybe they'll go out of their way to serve you again. Doesn't help with the show though.

I don't know if it would work on freestyle dining, but if you went to windows for dinner and tipped someone up front, maybe they'll go out of their way to serve you again.

:cool: I always think of Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack when I hear those kind of suggestions -- "Keep it honest..." as he hands the official $$...

The Freestyle dining on NCL was ok. The variety of food types was nice. But it presents 2 BIG problems in my opinion. One was that paying an extra $25/night for dinner was irritating since food should be included. But more important...no waiter show!!

Did you not find the main dining rooms? There shouldn't be a charge in them.

it all depends on what waiters you get! If you get someone you like, ask for their section again. It is possible to get to know your waiter with freestyle. I got to know a few people on the wind really well, and when Im the waiter I get to know my pax really well, even if its just one time..but I always say hello and catch up with them whenever I see them. I dont even do it to get a extra tip, I just enjoy having the connection with people. Not only does it make your week better, it makes OURS also! It really does perk my week some...

I agree one of the great things about Freestyle. I have seen more then my fill of Baked Alaska Parades to Hot Hot Hot :D :D

I'm going on a Carnival booze-cruise in Sept and looking forward to it actually! :D

You know (putting on Earnest Cruise Director Voice), fire is the biggest danger at sea.

I love NCL more for not forcing the waitstaff to sing and dance like trained bears for the amusement of the passengers. As for friendliness of servers, in five NCL cruises I've had exactly one unfriendly waitperson. And she was obviously not feeling good that day.

I agree one of the great things about Freestyle. I have seen more then my fill of Baked Alaska Parades to Hot Hot Hot :D :D

This was one of the major reasons WHY we picked NCL. Those sorts of canned performances embarrass me--whether the waiters enjoy doing it or not.

I hate it when I go to a restaurant and they sing happy birthday to someone. My wife knows never to do that to me or else I'm getting up to go the bathroom. I just can't understand why some people like the singing waiters, actually feel sorry for them, since there English isn't that great and they usually sound horrible.

Michael

But while we're discussing canned performances...

...I wish NCL would vary some of its passenger-participation performances a little bit. I don't think I can sit through one more Gloria Gaynor-John Travolta impersonation on Disco Night, and the guys being put into women passengers' clothes is getting a little old, too.

Seems like they could come up with a few schticks and rotate them, but I suppose they've found a formula that entertains passengers. And it's not like I can't go find something else to do on board.

We were just on the Jewel. They were rotating the waiters in the dining area. Not only were they in different areas of the dining room, some weren't even in the same dining room from night to night, so you couldn't request a table with the same waiters. One girl that we really liked in Tsar's one night was at the buffet the next night. One waiter in Azura left part way through the meal because he was scheduled to work somewhere else at nine o'clock.

:) I like going to dinner and the waiter knows my name every night. Plus, they dance, some sing and make jokes. This is one of the highlights of a regular cruise.

:confused: In the Freestyle method the waiters hardly smile and service lacks since they have no connection to their patrons. Different people serve you at each meal. Personally, I'll take scheduled dinner with entertainment over the NCL Freestyle method. But it is nice to have the choice if I decide to go NCL again.

I can only assume that you never dined in the main dining rooms since they are included in your cruise fare and do not involve an extra charge.

As for dancing waiters - Thank Heavens NCL does not have them. On the 3 non-NCL cruises I went on I thought the "dancing waiter" performance was tacky and degrading to the waiters. Waiters should be waiting tables not "entertaining" passengers. I want my waiters to behave professionally not like performing bears.

Oh well everyone likes different things and if 'waiter performances' are really important to you - then perhaps another cruiseline does suit you better.

This was one of the major reasons WHY we picked NCL. Those sorts of canned performances embarrass me--whether the waiters enjoy doing it or not.

My view it is one of the things that make up the "wait staff hustle" on traditional cruises to make sure their passengers show up the last night with something in the envelope :rolleyes: They also make sure you know all about their family and work hard to be seen as your friend. Yes we get to know them or the "them" thay want us to know. They have to making sure passengers feel guilt if they try and stiff them:eek:

Like others, I feel bad when I see waiters / waitresses having to sing and dance. Would much prefer pleasant, quick servers and good food in an environment that allows me to meet other passengers rather than sitting to watch the staff show mid-meal.

For my first cruise, I loved the song and dance (on Royal Caribbean) because it was new and exciting.

After that I realized that those Baked Alaska dances are always the same, every time. It started to feel a little ridiculous...

I am really looking forward to NCL!

did the baked alaskan and the toga party on the 1st cruise. that was so much fun...part of the cruise experience. we laugh and enjoy the memories.

no way would i pick a cruise just for that, while it was fun, it was time comsuming and silly. on cruises where i am traveling strictly for a cruise (not the ports), i may go back to set dining, toga and baked alaskan parades. otherwise forget it.

we really enjoyed picking our own dining times, venues, style of clothing.

now we are worrying that the cruise he is trying to win (out-sell) is NCL,

if not we are going to try to change to NCL.

Archived