Transportation to Taormina

We are on the Galaxy 8/24 and are in Messina for only 6 hours. We want to go to Taormina, but after checking the train schedules, I found we would have less than one hour! So....has anyone used a driver from Messina to Taormina? We don't want to book a tour, we are simply looking for a driver to take us to/from.

Are there drivers that wait in the area or is Messina a city where drivers need to be booked in advance? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help! Lauri

You can catch a bus (Interbus) for $4.50 Euro each way. They run every 45 min. I believe it is at the Piazza de Repubblica.

I checked into using the buses on our own too. It is an hour and a half PLUS on the bus to where the bus stops for Taomina (that is if you catch it perfectly on schedule both ways, and then there is a still a ways to walk to Taormine and its sites. I found that was cutting it too close. We decided to take the ship's tour to Toarmina after I researched both the train and bus schedules. Sure didn't want to take the chance of missing the ship at that port! :eek: Anybody know about local drivers being available at the port?

It is possible to rent a car from Argus right at the pier and if you are traveling with a driver who is somewhat confidant in semi urban driving, and use of a stick shift, it would be possible to spend up to 3 hours there with a bit of a safty net.

Here is a thread where we discuss the pro's and cons:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=473069&highlight=Driving+Taromina

Yes, I agree- the bus cuts it way too tight - same as the train. (We looked at the bus as an option, too)

So- we are looking for a driver or trying to find out if there are drivers that typically stay in that area. I know in some ports taxis or drivers are very hard to find.

So if anyone knows if it is easy to find a driver or taxi in Messina, that would be a great help. Otherwise, we will book the "transportation only" option.

Our group of 5 has been kicking this around a bit too. We are on the Galaxy on June 22nd. Six hours in port is cutting it close. One of our group is "looking into" a car rental, however, the major ones are closed on Saturday (the day we arrive). I think the best solution is to take the ships tour of transportation only. I believe it is $44 pp. We were there last year and spent more than that on a private tour with lousy service. The only upside was that the private tour went to "Vitellis Bar" (from the movie The Godfather) and also to Mt. Etna, which most of us thought was a complete waste of time. However, I believe Mt. Etna is "active" now, so that option is most likely out.

Rich M

I would suggest that if the price of the ships tour is around $50 pp, its worth it to leave the driving to them.

You are not there long enough to do much more than Taromina.

I am on the July 13 sail of the Galaxy and had the same dilemma. I opted for the Galaxy transportation only option to Taormina. After weighing the pros and cons I felt this was not a port I wanted to be left on the pier at because to get to our next port would cost me considerable amount of money, probably 10 times more than using the ship excursion. I am with you I prefer getting places on my own and not having to get on and off big buses etc. but for my piece of mind I thought this was my best option. Hope this info helps.

Have a great trip

Angie

We are on the Galaxy 8/24 and are in Messina for only 6 hours. We want to go to Taormina, but after checking the train schedules, I found we would have less than one hour! So....has anyone used a driver from Messina to Taormina? We don't want to book a tour, we are simply looking for a driver to take us to/from.

Are there drivers that wait in the area or is Messina a city where drivers need to be booked in advance? Any suggestions?

Lauri; (and others)

Look on the Carnival Freedom site. We are sailing on May 25th and one of our group has arranged a bus tour, of which 39 people signed up for. It is costing us 13 Euro per person. This is not with a tour guide, just the transporatation only. The May 1st group also used this and posted things went great. I can't give you the information as I wasn't the one who arranged. But, if you check either the May 1st or May 25th you will find the OP and I'm sure she will help you.

Have a great trip!

The May 25th Carnival Freedom Group!

• 4 weeks later...

We are sailing on the 25th of this month, with a 10hr stop in Messina. I checked the train schedule and there are not advance rd trip tickets available unil the afternoon, which leaves the bus. I've now discounted that after reading everyone else's opinions. My husband was quite leary of that, also. I have the schedule and there are only two return trips in the early afternoon from T to M, not good enough. I found a tour company on one of these threads SicilyLife Tours, info@sicilylife.com. They are offering a party of 6 rd trip transport for 260 euros, a party of 8 290 euros. The 290 euros converts to about $51 usd per person, less than Princess price of $59. I've got 7 interested so hopefully we can do this.

Good luck to everyone and happy sailing!!!

My family of 5 just returned from the May 19,2007 Brilliance of the Seas 2 week sailing. We all thought Taormina was the best of all the stops. We used Gaetano who owns and operates his own small tour company. His email address is info@aidenviaggi.it . Gaetano was superb. He is a fairly young (I think in his 30's), very personable, family oriented guy who will go out of his way or take you wherever you wish to make your trip enjoyable. He talks about Sicily, its people, his family....it's clear he loves his country but also seems to really like meeting new people. He took us to Mt. Etna (be sure & take a light a jacket or wear long pants----wish we had....) then to Taormina. He suggested and took us to a fantastic restaurant for lunch ---- it looked very expensive but was actually very reasonable (8-12 EURO per person) and the setting and view were beyond exquisite. Toarmina is filled with numerous shops --- upscale and all other types... and made for a great day. Gaetano is just a nice guy. He went with us thru Taormina, showed us the sights, took excellent care of us. I cannot recommend him highly enough. Out of the 6 excursions I had set up (outside the cruise line), this was definitely the best....thanks to Gaetano.

Thanks...I will send him an e-mail. Can you give me a general idea of the cost. When you left the ship, were there drivers around the area, or is this definitely a port where transportation needs to be booked in advance?

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the great information. I will look for the information. That was a great idea! Let me know how it goes after your cruise. Have a great time.

Lauri

Lauri;

It "went" fantasic! Everyone was able to spend the time exactly as they wishes. Highly reccommend!

Have a great time!

My family of 5 just returned from the May 19,2007 Brilliance of the Seas 2 week sailing. We all thought Taormina was the best of all the stops. We used Gaetano who owns and operates his own small tour company. His email address is info@aidenviaggi.it . Gaetano was superb. He is a fairly young (I think in his 30's), very personable, family oriented guy who will go out of his way or take you wherever you wish to make your trip enjoyable. He talks about Sicily, its people, his family....it's clear he loves his country but also seems to really like meeting new people. He took us to Mt. Etna (be sure & take a light a jacket or wear long pants----wish we had....) then to Taormina. He suggested and took us to a fantastic restaurant for lunch ---- it looked very expensive but was actually very reasonable (8-12 EURO per person) and the setting and view were beyond exquisite. Toarmina is filled with numerous shops --- upscale and all other types... and made for a great day. Gaetano is just a nice guy. He went with us thru Taormina, showed us the sights, took excellent care of us. I cannot recommend him highly enough. Out of the 6 excursions I had set up (outside the cruise line), this was definitely the best....thanks to Gaetano.

Great information...Do you know if Gaetano has a website?

Archived