Just back from Glory- Mahuhal

JStarbrite

Did a private dive with Blue Ocean Safari.

This outfit is as far away from a cattle- boat operation as possible! For less than you can book a 2 tank dive from the cruise lines, and only $15 or $20 more than a cattle boat dive you book yourself, you get a private dive! Just you and a Dive Master!

Julie, the manager, was so personal, I felt like I have known her for years. Hugh the DM was professional and top- notch.

The reefs in Mahuhal were spectacular! Lots of canyons. Saw a Nurse Shark, Sea Turtle, Trumpet Fish, Parrot Fish, and many other species.

You spend your interval and post dive at a small beach side resort where children pull coconuts from the tree and hack them open to enjoy. I pretty much had the place to myself!

I cannot say enough good things about this outfit!

I'm going on the Glory in August and haven't heard very many good reviews of the diving in Costa Maya, so decided against it. Now you have me thinking about it again! What time did you schedule your dive for? How long did it take? What was the cost for a 2 tank? Were the boats and equipment adequate? How long was the ride to the dive shop/dive location? Thanks in advance for answering all of my questions! I do want to be able to lounge and relax in Mahjual so I don't want to spend the entire day diving...

For a private dive cost is $100 for 2 tank without rental. Can't comment about rental gear because I brought my own. More info at blueoceansafari.com Boats for private dives are very small and can only hold max 2 divers + DM. Taxi ride to location 10 min max. cost is $3 each way. It is your dive trip, so it starts whenever you want! I showed up at 10am, was diving by 10:30, back on the beach drinking a cold beer by 1:30. The reefs are very close to location. Small resort has beach bar/restaurant, lounge chairs, hammocks at your disposal. No crowds.

Reefs were spectacular! Lots of fan and finger coral. This dive was the highlight of my trip, and one of the best of my life!

We just got back from the Legend and also had great dives with Blue Ocean Safari. We also paid for the private dive. There were 4 of us and after diving with the flailers on the ship in Belize this was pure pleasure!

Hugo our divemaster was outstanding. The coral, fish and canyons were fascinating! Ditto on this being the best dives of our trip. We will dive with them again without hesitation!

Archived