Reef Question

4 cruis'n

I have been researching our excursion for GC and I have seen some great pictures posted of reefs from different tour groups. On a few occasions I saw that moray eels and nurse shark are sometimes seen at different reefs. PLEASE tell me that this is an occasional and rare siting for those people adventurous to stay in that water and snap a picture! Are there certain times of year that this is more likly to be seen? TIA

in 25 years of diving the Caymans I've never spotted a shark. Most eels I've seen were small and all I saw was the head emerging from the coral. I've seen octo', tarpoon, plenty of rays. And sharks and big eels other places.

Many view the sighting of these guys a very very fortunate experience ... not feared but dreamed of.

If you are splashing around with a bunch of snorkelers the odds of these creatures coming for a look see is low .... usually you need to sneak up on them else they get spooked and leave the area....or hide under a rock.

There are specific sites near the Stingray Sandbar where nurse sharks and large green moray eels are part of the normal day-to-day fish life. At those sites you probably have a 98% or better chance of seeing these creatures.

Nurse sharks are extremely docile. They mostly just sit still on the bottom.

The green morays may come out of their holes seeking food. They have poor eyesght but a keen sense of smell. Many tour operators hand feed these eels to draw them out for tourists to see. DO NOT attempt to pet a moray eel no matter what your tour operators does or says.

On a Stingray City 3-stop snorkel excursion a few years ago with Captain Marvin, we saw "the eel and nurse shark" at barrier reef. That reef is east of Stingray City sandbar about a mile or two west of Rum Point. Our snorkel guide knew exactly where to find the 6-foot long eel and nurse shark. He baited them out of their hiding spots with food. He pulled the eel to the surface so all the snorkelers could get a good view of it as it swam back to its hiding place. He did this several times, so it could be touched by the snorkelers. This must be a daily occurrence, so the eel is used to human contact.

Very true - there are plenty of places where animals have been 'trained' to no longer fear man and even so far as to rely on being fed.

Sting ray city is one such place ... there are many others. I believe that hard core scuba divers tend to avoid such places, prefering to view natural habitats rather than trained animals. Well, maybe I'm a sample set of one....

However, I've dove a place where you can be assured you'll come in close contact with sharks, eels, turtles, rays and many other rarely seen creatures. One can dive in the Living Seas exhibit at EPCOT, I did it ... 'twas fun.

This is not meant in denegration of these attractions. Like I said, getting close to a shark in the water is very exciting. Some prefer to take the 'chance' out of the encounter and there are people willing to take your money to satisfy that desire.

Some people go for walks in the woods to see what creatures they can spot. Others go to the zoo. Both enjoy their day.

Thanks for your replies. As a family, we were all looking for a snorkeling excursion that is not too deep and could find tropical fish life (like Nemo, Gil, Peach and Dory;) ). I think this is typical of the "family vacation with kids" snorkel. Certainly, a more exciting reef excursion would be sought after by the seasoned snorkeler/diver or a family with older or no kids. If there is a shark spotted, I hope that won't ruin the excursion for us as the children (11y & 8y both excellent swimmers) jump from the water back into the boat (and me right behind them:rolleyes: ). Capt BJ, we have inquired about the dive at EPCOT. I am the only one in the family that is SCUBA cert. Definately looks like fun. Well, we have 2 excursions in mind. Both are highly recomended on this board. Something we are looking forward to experiencing and expect to be the highlight of our cruise. I'll let ya know!

With Captain Marvin you will likely go to one or the other, depending on the sea conditions that day. If you take a full-day excursion you will likely go to both places, weather dependent. Barrier Reef is a shallow water reef. It's outer edge is where the Caribbean waves break. When the seas are calm, it has the advantage of seeing stuff close-up. Coral Gardens is not far away in deeper water. There is more live coral, but lower density of fish to see. Both areas are relatively close to Stingray City and Rum Point.

I have been researching our excursion for GC and I have seen some great pictures posted of reefs from different tour groups. On a few occasions I saw that moray eels and nurse shark are sometimes seen at different reefs. PLEASE tell me that this is an occasional and rare siting for those people adventurous to stay in that water and snap a picture! Are there certain times of year that this is more likly to be seen? TIA

We just came back from GC which we booked half day with Captain Marvins. Great excursion- we did 2 snorkeling stops and guide actually held nurse shark for us to pet. I did and so did a few others with no problems. Also, saw eel with no problems. I would book this again in a heartbeat. The stingrays are so docile you will really enjoy.

Archived