help with Great Barrier Reef choices

Hope some one can help us. Leaving on the Sun N717 on 30th May and busy trying to sort out shore tours. Ports visited are Whitsunday, Cairns and Port Douglas.

Is it better to do the reef tour from Whitsunday or Port Douglas? It's a whole day and we are thinking of spending the day in Port Douglas looking around and do the reef tour from whitsundays. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Den

I think it is better from Port Douglas as its alot quicker to get there, but either would be good. I did the full day tour and it was great, it got a bit rough heading out there and a fair few people got sick. Those stinger suits are VERY unflattering! Plus an extra $5 (at the time) so bring a few dollars with you.

If I were to go again I would do the Lower Isles tour.. people said it took no time to get there and the snorkelling was fantastic.. maybe better than the reef tour we did, and alot cheaper.

The Whitsunday port was great to walk around as well, there is this huge man made pool we swam in plus lots of shops.

We went on a pub crawl at Cairns in the night which was great fun, and don't forget the night markets.

The coastal trip was fantastic, I have dont it on the Sun from Sydney and the Star from Brisbane, both were good.

hope this helps

Sue

We did a trip to the inner reef at Low Isles a few years back and I must say, it was one of the best days of my life. :D Really wonderful! I can't imagine anyone not loving it!

We did a resort dive whilst out there and it was fabulous. I had never done a dive before and really had an amazing time under the water.

Go for it!:)

Thanks guys and gals for your help. Ended up booking from Whitsunday in the end. Have started to get excited now the date is getting closer. I asume there will still be the theme nights as i have my island night gear ready but don't want to haul it all the way over the tasmen if i don't need it. Also we decided that since we would now have done 2 of P & O's ships' we had better do the Dawn too so went to TA and booked for next year.

Thanks again

Den

Archived