Compagnie des Iles du Ponant

keltic

I am sailing on the Le Diamant, and I wonder what´s the dress for her. According to the brochure, all kind of clothes are accepted at night. It means that´s a Seabourn like standards?. I mean, smart casual for nights?.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned and it´s one of the most delightfull experience I ever had. The French line offers three lovely vessels just for small number of people. A lovely Le Ponant, the smartest yacht ever seen Le Levant and Le Diamant, the one I sampled.

The former Song of Flower (Radisson) with less than 10.000 tons, is still in a good shape, and is nicely maintained. Many people think it´s a luxury line, but in fact it´s something between premium and luxury with interesting prices and the most exotic routes in the market. It´s chic and savoir faire francaise. A kind of a private yacht, with interesting prices. Only 200 people.

Only outside cabins (ours was about 18 sq m wide), luxury L Occitane toilettries, DVD player, and wardrobe. The clientele are expert cruisers searching a quiet and discerning experience, and touching unexpected ports. So we had talks from well known celebrities, opera, soft piano, la vie en rose sounding in a quiet corner.

The menu is not really extensive but pure french luxury food. The best ever tasted (even better than Seabourn) the most exquisite desserts ever. The three chocolate truffle (chocolates from Trinidad, Venezuela and Mexico) was almost a sin.

Indeed I will come back. The bridge is open all day, and passengers can get in at all time. Great....exclusivity.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite ship ever, the Song of Flower. Have not heard any reports til now of how its new French owners are. Sounds as though there is a nice international clientele. What other particulars can you share - smoking, language onboard, etc. etc. I would love to be back on board her.

Despite the crew speakk English, everthing is in French. Even the show have a french european orientation. In my particular cruise, most cruisers were middle aged people, well educated, who love cruising in a quiet and smart enviroment. I have to say that the onboard program is not full of activities, but I didn´t get bored at all.

It was a non smoking ship all over. What´s more remarkable about small ships is that one never finds a line anywhere, and it seems that its your private yacht. Great experience.

Dress code, is very casual, even in gala night there´s a kind of "dress the way you wish". I don´t mean that there were jeans and t-shirts everywere but most people didn´t wear tuxedo and few ties.

Everything is very familiar. The crew knows you and calls by your name from the second day, and the bridge is always open, for the passengers to get in and socialize with the capitan.

Archived