Formal night questions answered!

Nitra

Only the more upscale lines hold to the formal night all night, very few mainstream lines do it anymore. I remember when I first sailed on Rhapsody, if you were not appropriately dressed for the evening they would turn you away from the dining room. I was surprised how causual everyone seemed, even in the cocktail dresses. The lack of hose make them look less dressed up. I agree some women can get away without them but on formal night, I feel no matter how good you look, put them on! Even if they are sheer, just looks nicer to me..

but you are right, what would we have to talk about if we all agreed!

I almost fell off my couch the week before my cruise. My best friend, a gay guy, was staying with me for the week. We were sitting here watching the news and the newscaster lady did not have on hose. I didnt say a thing, when all of a sudden from beside me I hear... OMG why have women stopped wearing hose?? Do they not know how tacky it looks?? ... I was cracking up. She had good legs too, toned and tanned but the lack of hose was so obvious.. Glad he agrees or we would have something else to fight about... LOL He even ragged on me when on a casual night when I wore a skirt without hose, chewed me out all night telling me how tacky. I reminded him it was CASUAL night.. LOL

Wish the photo had come out better. I took another I thought but it didnt come out at all or is on another camera.

I always found it interesting that on the old Love Boat show they had the gals wearing sheer hose with their bikinis. This was done because the legs looked sexier and hid flaws. Ofcourse now flaws can be taken out by computer.

Now that's just wrong:eek: :eek: :eek:

Remember that show was made back in the 70's, so no way for computers to take out flaws on film the way it is now, the gals were supposed to just have great sexy legs and not be wearing hose-I saw that on True Hollywood Story and found it funny! but you know, I live in the south and we never wore hose in 95 degree weather except to church! As bad as my legs look now I still don't! I just wear longer skirts or capris tocover "most of the damage"!

I really don't se anything wrong with not wearing hose on a more dressy occasion, I just feel you need to be tan or else use some of that spary on tan stuff.

There are exceptions where I agree with Nitra, I have seen women much younger then 35, who had had a couple of babies and had the purple bulging veins to prove it, that were otherwise very attractive,in a case such as that, maybe it is better to weara longer skirt to camaflauge the legs if you go hoseless.

I really did not see anything wrong with the gals in Nitra's picture, I could not tell whether they were wearing hose or not. I felt Nitra meant they were in cocktail dresses. Many times on this board some poor gal will post a cute litte dress and I see all these posts telling the poor gal that the dress is not "formal". Whereas, we all know who have cruised the mainstream cruiselines that by "formal" it is meant "after 5" not "black tie" or "white tie"-but if I had found this board BEFORE I had ever cruised I would have been terrified of looking not right on formal night. I felt that is what Nitra meant by the photo, to those who say that you should wear long formal gowns and not whether or not the gals had on hose in the picture.

I will say this, in our cruise videos I have seen myself , where I have made some bad clothing choices! and it is like what was I thinking? Some of my problem is I retain fluids and I have learned to bring clothing a little larger for wearing the last 2 or 3 days of the cruise. Then, sometimes I just made a bad choice-no other excuse! So I try not to critize others, just please be clean! I had one bad cruise experience on a formal night I have told here many times where a neighboring table was NOT too clean!

if I had found this board BEFORE I had ever cruised I would have been terrified of looking not right on formal night.

God, ain't this the truth! If I saw this before my first cruise I'd have paid more for a sparkly long dress than I did the cruise! Fortunately, I had a couple cruises under my belt THEN stumbled upon CC.

Wow, I live in Ca, and hose is what I get tangled up in when I try to water my plants! Haven't seen actual hose (like pantyhose) in years, except if the wearers are over 70 years old or have vein issues. Recently cruised to the Mex Riv, no hose in sight.

I think that silk or textured stockings with a garter belt are sexy (maybe with nothing else), but pantyhose are past their prime. (I'm in my 50's). My stocking wearing will be in the bedroom, not in public.

Hey, we are neighbors, I am from Monterey.:D Panty hose, what a joke. Hose with formal wear and strappy shoes which may or may not be open toe is a major faux in my neck of the woods. The only time I see them is in church and that is on the nuns.:D Maybe it is a CA thing, all I worry about is pedicure and if I should have a flower painted or diamond/sparkles placed on my big toe.;)

I always thought it was a fashion faux-pas to wear hose with sandals... besides, how would anyone see your French pedicure? ;)

Then why are there toeless hose?

Gals if your legs look good and by that I mean are not covered with broken veins there is nothing wrong with going hoseless. I feel Nitra was referring to those whose legs were not attractive, not those who have good legs. Hose covers flaws like broken veins which even many young women have from having babies. Pregnancy really ruins the look of your legs.

At 53 my legs are still very shapely-the ONLY part of me I feel looks as it should-but since I was 30 and had my daughter-so still fairly young at the time- they have had the purple marks from pregnancy. I know there is makeup that will cover those-tanning or tanning creme does not-the marks still show under the tan-but I hate the heavy greasy feel of that stuff and the fact that when I sweat just a little-it comes off in spots and runs and looks worse then the marks! So I will continue to wear hose when wearing shorter dresses-but for you gals whose legs are not covered with marks like mine-go hoseless!

We all know that is acceptable now-just don't call us gals whose legs are not still perfect old fashioned! Not so much old fashioned but covering a multituede of ugly!

I will be honest with you-when I see a young gorgeous woman, slim and shapely in a pair of shorts or short skirt out and then I see all the purple marks-I do wonder if she realizes how unattractive she looks and how a pair of capris would look better- or even a long skirt with a slit if she still wants to feel sexy-would look so much better.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I guess I don't pay as much attention to who is wearing hose or no hose than some people do.

I wear hose if the outfit calls for it, but I've also passed up dresses that would require hose.

I don't criticize people with less than perfect legs in shorts, because I truly feel that there is no reason why they have to be hot and uncomfortable so we don't have to see marks or veins. I may notice, but it's not something that would bother me.

I also don't take as gospel what another persons opinion happens to be.

My best friend, a gay guy, was staying with me for the week. OMG why have women stopped wearing hose?? Do they not know how tacky it looks?? ... I was cracking up.

I'll start wearing pantyhose again when men do!!! :D

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I guess I don't pay as much attention to who is wearing hose or no hose than some people do.

I wear hose if the outfit calls for it, but I've also passed up dresses that would require hose.

I don't criticize people with less than perfect legs in shorts, because I truly feel that there is no reason why they have to be hot and uncomfortable so we don't have to see marks or veins. I may notice, but it's not something that would bother me.

I also don't take as gospel what another persons opinion happens to be.

apparently some of Matty's posts were removed and I was unaware.

You do say the sensible thing.

Many do not realize the going hoseless is still a trend started by the TV show Sex in the City and sure it may continue and be accepted who knows? Right now it is acceptable but fashion is so fickle it could swing the other way in a few years-or continue to be acceptable. I just don't like these gals telling me it is not aceptable to wear hose if I choose to because I appear more attractive in hose then barelegged on formal night-I don't understand why these other gals care so much. They can do what they want.

They got mad at Nitra for saying women should wear hose and when I said it was fine but some of us can't because of gaining lots of weight in our pregnancies and that ruining our legs and we feel we look better in hose the same as some women feel makeup, nail polish or straightening their hair makes them look better-I am told I have a shallow view of things.

I'll start wearing pantyhose again when men do!!! :D

So what is the opinion of the non-hose wearers of men not wearing ties? A tie performs no practical function, I've been told that they are quite uncomforable, and (in my DH's case) seem to easily get stains that cannot be cleaned. They are more expensive than hose and are harder to pack.

I'm no fan of panyhose either but my point is, is giving women a "pass" on hosiery part of that same slippery slope we talk about as far as making other exceptions?

Neckties and thong underwear are both extremely uncomfortable if worn too small. :(

There's no reason for discomfort with either if they are sized properly.:p

I can't believe that nobody has commented about the belly jiggling when not wearing hose. Good grief, that's my main purpose for wearing them.

Oh, and I've been posting over on the Cunard board as well, and even over there, they are arguing about dress code!!! But I must say, the grammar, spelling and ellocution is magnificent! They use words I've never heard of before.

We will NEVER all agree on this, so why don't ya'll just sit down, cross your hosed or unhosed legs, act like ladies and down a couple of martinis!!??!!!

Neckties and thong underwear are both extremely uncomfortable if worn too small. :(

There's no reason for discomfort with either if they are sized properly.:p

I can't believe that nobody has commented about the belly jiggling when not wearing hose. Good grief, that's my main purpose for wearing them.

Oh, and I've been posting over on the Cunard board as well, and even over there, they are arguing about dress code!!! But I must say, the grammar, spelling and ellocution is magnificent! They use words I've never heard of before.

We will NEVER all agree on this, so why don't ya'll just sit down, cross your hosed or unhosed legs, act like ladies and down a couple of martinis!!??!!!

sounds like a good idea!

we are closing this thread due to having delete an excessive amount of posts..in order to keep it from spiraling even more downhill it will no longer be active..

Archived