May and Rain??

lucia1024

Hi

I will be on the Pearl May 20th. I thought that May is suppose to be driest month. When I check the weather sites it just seems that it has been raining and cloudy everyday. I read so many cc say that they had weather in the 60's and sometime 70's. What's going on? I am sure that it will still be great, but I was hoping to get some sunny days.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks

Hmm, Alaska is a rainforest?

lol that is what someone told me when I asked the same thing ;)

Good thing is that while they forecast a chance of rain it hasn't been raining all of those days and if it does, not very much. Check radar, it's light rain too thank goodness.

Hmm, Alaska is a rainforest?

lol that is what someone told me when I asked the same thing ;)

And that's really the only answer there is :D May is the driest month, BUT.....

We really are having a tough "Spring", though - it's cold and cloudy and everybody is sick of it. We'll be celebrating the first sunny 70-degree day, too, I assure you!

Murray

Lucia1024 -- We're also on the sailing for the Pearl on 5/20. I think all of us are praying to the sun gods. On our first Alaskan cruise, the forecast was for rain every day, and we only got sprinkles one day. It was cool and cloudy most of the time, but not nearly as bad as we'd anticipated.

If you're interested in joining us, we've got a roll-call going on. The link should be in my signature line.

I will be on the Pearl May 20th. I thought that May is suppose to be driest month. When I check the weather sites it just seems that it has been raining and cloudy everyday. I read so many cc say that they had weather in the 60's and sometime 70's. What's going on? I am sure that it will still be great, but I was hoping to get some sunny days.

We cruised to Alaska last year, leaving on May 20th also. In the 2-3 weeks ahead, I was always checking weather.com and it was always showing cloudy with a chance of rain so I was a little concerned. Even for the time that we were going to be there, the forecast showed dark clouds and 70-80% chance of rain. It rained a little (very little) on our departure day in Whittier and then again a little in Ketchikan. The rest of the time, the skies fluctuated from partly cloudy to partly sunny; including fabulously sunny in Glacier Bay. After we got back, I realized that perhaps Alaska weather forecasting is similar to Seattle forecasting....it seems like the forecast here is partly cloudy with a chance of rain 360 days a year. And, yes somewhere in the area, someone gets a little rain. But most of the time, it means that we get some clearing, some clouds, some sun, some rain and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world because it is so green! :)

Enjoy your cruise!!!

After we got back, I realized that perhaps Alaska weather forecasting is similar to Seattle forecasting....

Yeah, some places are just hard to predict the weather I guess. Here in CA (all of CA), the weather people are really accurate. I'm very conditioned to be able to trust the weather person, especially their forecast for the next day. On a visit to NYC last year, not one weather prediction the night before was accurate. One day, it was supposed to be sunny. So, we went to the Rockefeller Center that morning. It was foggy at the bottom. By the time we got to the observation area at the top, it was a huge snowstorm. Fought our way back to the hotel, and later that afternoon, it turned all sunny like it was supposed to be. NYC weather is WEIRD!

Just too many variable in Alaska to accurately predict weather - mountains, oceans, etc. Just come prepared for anything. FYI - it hit 60 in our area today (just north of Anchorage).

Archived