Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal

JLJ

My husband and I are booked for the New England/Canada 9 day cruise this fall and would like to know of a nicer place to stay in Bayonne, NJ instead of the Hudson Hotel and closer to the terminal. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I think many people have spoken highly about the convenience and cost savings aspect of the park and fly Best Western, but almost all of them lament the hotel itself, the safety of the neighborhood, the safety of their car, etc.

I'm in the same boat and trying to choose a prenight hotel for our 6/22 sailing. I think I'm going to priceline a hotel in Jersey City and then pay to park my car at the terminal.

There is an East Coast departures board here that has a lot of discussions about this topic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

There are some great hotels like Hyatt and Sheraton right on the Hudson with beautiful views and easy access to NYC. These are located in Jersey City (near Exchange place) or Weehawken. They are relatively the same distance from the port. I always recommend staying there, but others always say stay in Best Western in Newark for the park and ride. If you are looking for a nice experience, go with my advice. :)

When we took the New England cruise out of Bayonne two summers ago, we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Seacaucus, N.J. for a few days prior to the cruise. It was just about a 30 minute drive to the port. It is a very nice hotel with free parking and a perfect location if you want to spend a couple of days in NYC. The rates were very reasonable too; I think around $90 per night. You can get a bus right in front of the hotel site for about $3 that takes you into Manhatten.

I'm local, but would definitely choose to stay at one of the Secaucus hotels - there are several of them near the Meadowlands Expo center with restaurants and shopping as well as the NYC bus. May be an extra 15 minutes to port, but so what.

We will not be in a position to do any sightseeing, but are strictly looking for a place to stay the night before departure after driving up from the Washington area. Convenience, quality (a decent room not in a dicey area), and value are our principal concerns.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We are going into Newark two days early for our August 31st Canada/New England cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. I've booked the Courtyard Newark Liberty as we want a hotel with convenient connections to Manhattan. However, the reviews at http://www.tripadvisor.com sugest we should stay at the Courtyard Elizabeth. I'll check rates at the Hyatt and Sheraton, too. Recommendations?

We're staying at the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City, NJ. Only a couple miles from the port and close to the trains into Manhatten...

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Sam :D

We are going into Newark two days early for our August 31st Canada/New England cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. I've booked the Courtyard Newark Liberty as we want a hotel with convenient connections to Manhattan. However, the reviews at http://www.tripadvisor.com sugest we should stay at the Courtyard Elizabeth. I'll check rates at the Hyatt and Sheraton, too. Recommendations?

If you want access to Manhattan, stay in the Jersey City Exchange Place area. It is very convenient to get to the city. You walk a few feet from hotel right to ferry or path station. Newark and Elizabeth are not as nice nor as convenient. :)

Thank you for this great information! I've cancelled the Courtyard reservation and switched to Candlewood Suites! We'll dump our luggage in the room and jump on the train to Time Square! Now if we could just come up with two tickets to "Jersey Boys" on August 30th!! Dream on, Mary.

My husband and I are booked for the New England/Canada 9 day cruise this fall and would like to know of a nicer place to stay in Bayonne, NJ instead of the Hudson Hotel and closer to the terminal. Any suggestions? Thanks!

You should check out hotels in NJ that are within 30 minutes, they are much nicer, most times parking is free, and the day of the departure will only be a short ride.:)

Archived