Gold Creek Salmon Bake in Juneau????

F5Loar

Did the search and no info. on this popular excursion through NCL in Juneau.

Is it worth going to first over missing a meal on the ship and is it all you can eat? Are the trimmings that good? Is there more than just fresh salmon and is it really fresh salmon? We want to have a good time and a good meal but don't want to be suckered into a tourist trap thing. Be honest in your comments please! You won't hurt my feelings!

We did not do any of the salmon bakes - ended up not being able to fit them into our schedule. We did eat at Twisted Fish in Juneau and had wonderful salmon and crab there - a good alternative if your schedule won't allow several hours for the excursion!

Salmon, chicken, ribs, and steak IIRC. And lots of trimmings, pasta, BBQ beans, potato salad etc. All you can eat. Very good, whether its worth it or not is up to you. We did it late in the day, after we had been running around all day and were hungry, and it was a nice way to end the day.

MD

We have not eaten at the Salmon Bake because it seemed like a touristy thing to do. Food on the ship is excellent and there are other restaurants in town. Sailing on HAL and Princess, we had lots of excellent local salmon on the ship.

WE did a tour a year ago on RCCL that included the Mendenhall and a Salmon. It was very nice. They had all you can eat Salmon, Ribs, Chicken, etc. They had their own bus that took you back to the ship whenever you wanted. Sure it's touristy, but you cannot find fresher salmon anywhere.

I am sure that is the same one we did with HAL. It was great. DH had not wanted to go because he does not eat Salmon but they had great BBQ chicken now he cannot wait to return. They had all the good stuf withe their great salmon and one of the best things was this really good blueberry cake made with fresh Alaskan blueberries. We are going the week of June 17th and definitely looking forward to returning.:)

We have not eaten at the Salmon Bake because it seemed like a touristy thing to do. Food on the ship is excellent and there are other restaurants in town. Sailing on HAL and Princess, we had lots of excellent local salmon on the ship.

I did something similar in Hawaii and Puerto Rico...touristy. Campy and CAN be fun, but it takes some effort...family-style serving set up, but you'll eat enough. You have to decide if its worth it to you, but I now avoid these gimmicks...I like local flavor, not arranged fun with my food. IMHO

Local Salmon served on the ship? But I thought all ship food was shipped in and inspected and properly frozen before served therefore it can't be fresh.

While the Salmon bake sounds like a good thing to do are you getting the real deal fresh caught no more than a day old salmon on these bakes or is the same as you can get back on the ship? Anybody know that information? The reason I ask is fresh salmon is far superior to previously frozen fresh fish of any kind.

Archived