Have you done the "America's Cup Regatta" excursion?

DocF

Do you book this directly with the company? If so, does anyone have the email? OR do all of you recommend booking thru the ship? We will be on the mariner. Thanks

People who are on cruise must book through their ship. That is what the web site says and that is what we have done.

Doc

I am trying to find some answers about this before we book it. I've sailed (many years ago) quite a bit, including a couple of races on old 12 meter yachts. I'm wondering how suitable this would be for my wife who has never sailed anything. As information we are both recently retired, we do ride bikes, not as much as we want to, but we ride. We also walk quite a bit.

Thanks in advance,

Doc

My wife and I did this last year, and had a blast. She was a bit nervous at first, but got into it later. Since you already have 12 meter experience, you should have no problem. My advice? When they ask, tell them you want the mainsail trimmer position, and she wants to be the timer. ENJOY!

Hank

I have heard nothing but awesome reviewed regarding this excusion.

How is the motion. Do you see many people getting sick? I do get motion sick - but still, it sounds like so much fun!

I've been on boats and ships of all sizes in all kinds of weather. I have been sea sick once. It was a combination of a particular motion and being in the cabin which seemed to intensify the sensation.

I would say do it; take some Bonine or similar product before hand.

Doc

Any thoughts on taking a 12 yr old boy on this excursion? I am old enough to remember when the 12 metre yachts were used in the America's Cup, and he is adventureous enough to have parasailed with me in Bahamas about 5 weeks ago--are kids out of place in this context, or will he be able to have a good time?

Thanks in advance.

When I was 12, I wanted to sail on DeCoursey Fales big staysail schooner Nina. I loved that boat. I never got the chance.:(

A 12 year old is old enough and, if he is adventurous, he should be a valuable asset to the crew. There is a link to their web site in an earlier post.

Doc.

Archived