Journey in high seas

cruisingdelt

Looks like the Journey scheduled to return to Port Liberty on May 19 had to sail right thru an intense late season nor'easter an Friday. For those on this cruise please post some comments on how the ship handles the weather. Thanks and hope you had a great cruise!

I don't think you want to know the answer to that question :-)

I've been on R-class ships in quite high seas (over 30 feet), and they are *not* built for cruising the open ocean. These are ships that fit in well for Med, Alaska, Caribbean....but not the North Atlantic.

The R-class vessels are short, tall in relation to their length and have a very shallow draft. That does not form a good combination for the open-ocean.

That said, if you aren't bothered by high seas, you should be fine. I've done a transatlantic with Oceania on Regatta (same vessel as Journey) where we hit those high seas, and I am doing it again this year. It was the best cruise I've ever taken, and the wonder of the high-end line easily made up for two days of being a bit sick (on a 10-night itinerary).

Hope this helps.

I don't think you want to know the answer to that question :-)

I've been on R-class ships in quite high seas (over 30 feet), and they are *not* built for cruising the open ocean. These are ships that fit in well for Med, Alaska, Caribbean....but not the North Atlantic.

Gary,

Thanks! I have been on 40,000 ton thru 116,000 ton class ships and have been lucky enough to not be impacted be rough seas. I have heard the same things as you stated about R-class ships. Regardless I will have a good time. Hey, I love all rollercoasters especially loops and inversions and loved Mission to Mars at Disney. DW does not share these likings!

Gary,

Thanks! I have been on 40,000 ton thru 116,000 ton class ships and have been lucky enough to not be impacted be rough seas. I have heard the same things as you stated about R-class ships. Regardless I will have a good time. Hey, I love all rollercoasters especially loops and inversions and loved Mission to Mars at Disney. DW does not share these likings!

...and if you're able to get past the pitching (Thankfully, the R-class ships do not roll much, unless they have to pull in stabilizers after they break...as they did on my crossing haha), the R-class ships are simply the most beautiful cruise ships afloat, IMO. I think their interior decor easily competes with Queen Mary 2, which I also find extremely attractive on the interior.

Looks like the Journey scheduled to return to Port Liberty on May 19 had to sail right thru an intense late season nor'easter an Friday. For those on this cruise please post some comments on how the ship handles the weather. Thanks and hope you had a great cruise!

Just returned from May 12th sailing-

Was a little rough on Sunday May 13, rainy and windy, but I thought the ship seemed to handle it pretty well. Unable to dock in St George on Monday due to high winds, the Captain felt it wasn't safe, so we went to Hamilton for the 4 days.

Yesterday (Friday) the weather turned very nasty and rough- Friday evening wasn't pleasant. We have been on 12 cruises and this was the worst we ever experienced. It was difficult moving around the ship. We barely made it through dinner. Spent the rest of the evening in the cabin.

This may be a double post sorry.

I just returned from the Journey during the rough sea's. I think the boat faired pretty well considering the high sea's we had encountered. My mother does not fair well on the water but with taking the Bonnie and having the wrist magnets she pulled through. We spoke with some passengers on the Granduer of the Seas and they had a difficult time getting to Bermuda so I could just imagine how they faired heading home.

Yes we had a difficult time walking but so did everyone. In the buffet the crew was there to assist you to your table without being asked.

Yes the boat creaked during the roughest part but believe me there were passengers all about the boat till the early morning.

I understand your point about comparing the North Atlantic to smaller bodies of water, but I personally would not include the Gulf of Alaska in your comparisons. While on the Infinity, in August, we hit 20-30 foot seas for a period of almost 24 hours. Almost every bottle in the liquor store fell off the shelf and broke! I thought the ship handled the seas very well but a lot of passengers would not agree. The captain even went on the intercom to apologize.

I understand your point about comparing the North Atlantic to smaller bodies of water, but I personally would not include the Gulf of Alaska in your comparisons.

I was referring to more of the inland passages that ships follow when viewing scenery, rather than the gulf itself. If those little paddle-steamers can do it, I am sure the waves in those areas remain rather flat.

You are correct, though. I have heard that Alaska can get rather rough when you get into the open water.

Archived