Sting Rays and Sun block

JustRambling

Hi All,

My family and I are doing a swim and snorkle with the stingrays tour (booked privately). I know that they ask you not to wear sunblock or suntan lotion or anything chemical like that, to help protect the stingrays. I was wondering if anybody knew of a natural product that you could use? My husband and my youngest son burn VERY easily, and I'm hoping that there is something that they can use.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

You could purchase rash guards, which are long or short sleeve shirts made for wearing in the water with UV protection. You can get them at Dicks for about $20, thru dive shops or on-line. Don't know about sunscreen alternatives so I'll let others answer that part.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to come back and reply. :o I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I did post this question on another CC board that I thought would be seen by more people.

I had no idea that there were shirts that blocked the sun, that's cool! I don't think I have the funds at this point to purchase them this time, but something to look at for the future.

I was told that Ocean Potion had good natural sunscreen. I found it at Walmart and purchased some of that. My youngest son and I will be trying it out tomorrow on an outdoor field trip with his class, I'm hoping it will do the trick.

Thanks again for everyones info.

15 or 30 coverage. I bought this on line for my sting ray excursions. Helps with jelly fish stings and sea lice too ... very safe ... $8 bottle, just put in your pc browers and it'll come up ... delete the site I purchased from :(

I just did the Stingray City tour with Captain Marvin. My reservation email specifically said to bring a towel and sun screen.

I don't burn easily but did get a pretty bad sunburn in a short period of time.

I can only speak about Capt Marvin's boat but you could sit downstairs and be in the shade. The only time you would be in the sun would be the times in the water which weren't all that long.

Archived