Trolley in Old San Juan

morrison

Anyone one know the trolley schedule? I'm wondering if this is a good option for someone with semi-limited mobility and breathing difficulty. I understand the walk is uphill in OSJ if you are heading towards El Morro. I've read suggestions to either use the trolley or a cab to the fort and then walk downhill back to the piers. What about just doing the OSJ loop by staying on the trolley? Any ideas how long this would take? Also, what time does ElMorrow open in the AM?

El Morro is a National Park and there is tons of info and links when you do a search.......

also - I would take a cab up and perhaps take the trolley back..... sometimes you can wait forever for one..... and while we were there (3 days !!!) we only saw one.... and we were walking faster than it was going..... traffic can sometimes be a mess there.

First, look over this great site (scroll down to get taxi info, maps, & more links for OSJ)

Click here: San Juan Piers and Hotel Aerial and FAQs

The "trolleys" are not what we call trolleys in Phila; they're more like shuttle buses (not airconditioned!) They are free, so you'll find tourists and locals onboard. If they have a set schedule, they don't seem to be able to stick to it- not surprising since the traffic is awful!

Since you have limited mobility, I would recommend taking a taxi to El Morro. The walk is up hill and the pavements and streets are old- and therefore uneven in spots. We always walk (or wait for the shuttle bus), but we're worn out by the time we get back on board. And OSJ always seems much hotter that the other ports.

Once you get to El Morro, you will still have a lot of walking- although since it's run by the NPS, they have tried to make a lot of it ADA compliant. San Cristobal is also run by the NPS. If you want to see both forts, the walk between them is fairly level, and offers great views of the coastline (and some slums- stay on the main -upper- level path and don't venture down the stairs to the lower town area).

OSJ is a great port to visit for the day- too many people stay onboard the ship rather go exploring!

Archived