butlers

Definitely would not pay the extra frieght, especially on Navigator, for a butler. The penthouse suites aboard Navigator are the same size as the standard suites. The only things that a butler does for you that the stewardess does not do is bring your canapes in the afternoon and bring your room service orders. We've had butlers 4 times on Regent and, while it's a nice touch, it's not worth the money IMHO.

A really nice, smart guy.

I wouldn't have paid $1 extra to have him though. Canapes were uneeded, and I actually didn't like having him do the room service. Here is why - he worked specified hours (7-noon and 5 to 11 or something.) But anytime I placed a room service order he had to deliver it. I came to feel bad about late night or off hour ordering. On the positive side he did a great job of providing breakfast service (we had some quirks in what we wanted and he adapted, and we slept with the curtain drawn around the bedroom so he came in to the sitting room and quietly set up while we were still sleeping. So the service was nice, but not worth the guilt of disrupting his schedule.

I did love, however, the layout of the penthouse on Voyager. Only marginally bigger (25 sq feet or so) but it felt much larger and the layout was superior. And, since it is wide rather than long you get the doors to the balcony and a window over the desk near the bed. Lots of light and ocean views.

HLB

After all that we ended in a penthouse suite. I wanted a suite that was amid ship. The price was not too bad - so we are going in April to Bermuda! I have always want to go there, and I wanted to be in a ship with good food and service.

Archived