Cruise Box

anewmac

So I have been getting things at the store (tips from this board thanks you!!!!) and putting them in a box marked CRUISE. My dh thinks Im nuts but I want to be prepaired an not have to look everywhere for them when it gets time to pack and set sail. When he saw the box he just rolled his eyes, I keep telling him he will thank me on the cruise for being so prepaired and knowledgeable LOL.

So far I have:

*extention cord

*Over the door shoe hanger

*Spray sunscrean

*Static Spray for clothes

*Highlighers (2colors)

*travel shampoo and conditioner bottles

*small notebook to write at night what we did (I have the worst memory)

*Pens

what else should I get ready? do I need? ... Help a Newbie 1st time cruiser out! THanks!

Power Strip - didn't use but if you take make sure cord is long enough to reach desk/mirror and sit on floor - (charged xtra camera battery by day and ipod at night) Necessary if you bring more than 2 gadgets.

Over door shoe thingy - never made it out of the packaging

night light - we took - didn't use

One item that came in really handy (14 day cruise) was the canvas 4 or 5 section hang over the clothing rod in the closet thingy. Not enough drawer space so put folded items - shorts, tops in the closet.

Highlighters and post-its - great idea

Stainless/thermal mugs - used these a lot

duct tape - don't pack and so far haven't needed

bungy - nope

martini shaker - yep

Small first aid kit with aspirin, tylenol, tums, or whatever items you may need. You can buy them onboard but they are expensive. I also like to buy those hooks that attach by suction cup (dollar tree). They are good to hang in the shower for swim suits or on the balcony for swimsuits or beach towels.

• 1 month later...

A box would get in my way. I have a drawer in my dresser that is used for nothing but cruise items. It's all in there permanently, and whenever I want to add to it, I do. Out of sight, out of mind....until the next cruise.

One thing I always take is a lighted dial travel alarm clock.

I broke the stem on my eyeglasses once, and had to buy Super Glue on the ship. About $4 for one teensy little tube! Now, it's part of my 'stuff' in the drawer.:)

So I have been getting things at the store (tips from this board thanks you!!!!) and putting them in a box marked CRUISE. My dh thinks Im nuts but I want to be prepaired an not have to look everywhere for them when it gets time to pack and set sail. When he saw the box he just rolled his eyes, I keep telling him he will thank me on the cruise for being so prepaired and knowledgeable LOL.

So far I have:

*extention cord

*Spray sunscrean

*Highlighers (2colors)

*Pens

what else should I get ready? do I need? ... Help a Newbie 1st time cruiser out! THanks!

I know how you feel. Last year i was a first time cruiser. What ship are you going on? But for the shampoo and conditioner, on some ships, they do provide you with shampoo, conditioner and body soap. You could bring your own too but if you would like to find out if your boat does provide it, the less you travel with the better. Also, just bring alot of casual clothing, short to through over a bathing suit and bring 2 or 3 fancy outfits to wear to fancy resturants. I am going on a cruise this coming april on the spirit. Enjoy your cruise!:)

I added imodium to my little medicine box after my last cruise. A gentleman in front of me in line at the onboard shop asked for some and he was told that the infirmary had some, but it didn't open until morning. And I like to bring plastic clothes pins. About 6-8 will do it, to dry swimsuits in the shower.

Just an idea about the night light - we always brought one, the kind that turn themselves on when it's dark, but even with the power strip, I could never find a place convienent to plug it in. Then I discovered battery candles! We'll be bringing one this time for sure - ambiance & practicallity (sp) in one item!:)

So far I have:

*extention cord

*Spray sunscrean

*Highlighers (2colors)

*Pens

If you are sensitive to odor, bring one of those pretty Glade Blocks that look like a tile of colored glass. Caribbean humidity tends to put a stink in the bathroom by itself, add to that the WC odors, and I need an air freshener in there.

Best colors for highlighters are yellow and blue. You use yelloe, he uses blue, and something you both do becomes green.

I have a travel alarm that has nature sounds on it that I use whenever I travel. Rather than keeping my door open at night and waking to a bug infested room, I put on my wave sounds, get my lovely surf crashing, drown out hall noise.

Plastic cable ties to secure your luggage tags and to secure your luggage (we use them in place of locks). ALso, on our last cruise, our power strip would not work due to the prongs, so we made sure to pack a converter this time, that will work for a two prong or three prong plug! Also pack a small container of the Cloxox wipes for the room, and plenty of hand sanitizer!!:eek:

• 5 weeks later...
Downey wrinkle release!!!!!!!!

How does this stuff work??? We took it on our last cruise, and used it. But it seems the key is you have to hold the fabric flat until it dries. How is this any better than just spraying it with water? I'm probably not using it correctly.

I always put a piece of paper in my getting ready "box" or suitcase that says SUNGLASSES! I keep my sunnies in the car and because I usually leave for the airport by taxi etc there have been a few holidays where I have left them in the car :o

...of course it's always a good excuse to hit duty free and purchase a new pair:p

happy sailing!

Also pack a small container of the Cloxox wipes for the room' date=' and plenty of hand sanitizer!!:eek:[/quote']

Hand Sanitizer was the one thing I needn't have brought last time - it was eeeeeeverywhere on the ship, lol. I'll be bringing some with us again this time, but now I'm traveling with a baby, so the normal rules don't apply. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

So far I have:

*extention cord

*Spray sunscrean

*Highlighers (2colors)

*Pens

what else should I get ready? do I need? ... Help a Newbie 1st time cruiser out! Thanks!

LOL! I have taken only ONE fo the things you mentioned with me on my 15 crusies-LOL! (sunscreen)

HINT-you have a pen and pad in your room provided by the ship-so strike that one off. The other stuff-only YOU know if you really need that.

<<Over door shoe thingy - never made it out of the packaging

One item that came in really handy (14 day cruise) was the canvas 4 or 5 section hang over the clothing rod in the closet thingy. Not enough drawer space so put folded items - shorts, tops in the closet.>>

We put all of our smaller and less used items in the over the door hanger, and it was very convenient. It was handy to grab things as went into the bathroom and cut way down on the general clutter in the room. It also freed up closet space for other things. I use one at home so I'm very used to having one.

We never thought of the over the rod storage one; that would be great for t-shirts and bulky things like socks that take up a lot of drawer space. I'll be adding one of those to my shopping list for our upcoming TA.

I don't have anything to add, but I do the SAME thing, and my DH also thinks I am crazy! I bought new luggage for this cruise, and I have piles of stuff already stacked inside! Nothing is officially packed, but I don't want to forget anything. So, as I think of it, I put it in the suitcase, to be organized later.

Archived