Need a good stylist...

Does anyone have any advice for finding a good stylist ?? I have gone through 4 or 5 in the past few years (moved here a few years ago) and I have not found one here that cuts my hair to my satisfaction. I get tired of having my long layers chopped up and uneven and then having to pay $50 for the cut. I have asked around. I have asked ladies who have great hair who their stylist is. I don't know who else to ask. LOL I've even resorted to walking in to a salon that 'looks' upscale like they would have great stylists.

Any ideas ??? I'd like a great haircut for our upcoming cruise. :D

Does anyone have any advice for finding a good stylist ?? I have gone through 4 or 5 in the past few years (moved here a few years ago) and I have not found one here that cuts my hair to my satisfaction. I get tired of having my long layers chopped up and uneven and then having to pay $50 for the cut. I have asked around. I have asked ladies who have great hair who their stylist is. I don't know who else to ask. LOL I've even resorted to walking in to a salon that 'looks' upscale like they would have great stylists.

Any ideas ??? I'd like a great haircut for our upcoming cruise. :D

Okay, so I'm LOLing (in a good way, with you not at you) over this...

#1 Landolocked - not sure where that is, but it makes a difference if you are in a big city or small town...

#2 Vital difference on your initial question - which I bolded...

It's not a matter of who has great hair, it's a matter of who has great hair with the same hair type, thickness, texture as YOU!

You need to know that. Then look for the people who look great with your hair type; and even better look for the stylists who have the same hair type and texture as you!

THEY will know what does and works the best.

#3 Unfortunately a lot of it is trial by error. For example, I'm in LA, and I've got a few different people that I trust for hair cuts and color, depending on who they are doing.

Some are really high end and expensive, and others who are the best of the best for that particular hair type are "in the boonies" and really inexpensive.

They just happen to be the best for that particular clients hair type.

I hope this helps in some way.

CJW

For me finding a stylist is through personal reference from co-workers or friends.If their cuts or styles appeal to me I ask for the name of the stylist. When I book my first appointment I usually ask for just a wash and style and then I get a sense of the stylists talents and the manner in which they treat their clients. I hate a stylist who makes you wait and then passes you over to a junior stylist. Being "in the "chair" also gives you a chance to see the work of other stylists in the salon...

Hi Curt!, I haven't "seen" you around here lately :)

What Curt says is exactly what I would say to you. You might mention what town you live in, perhaps someone here lives close to you and can give recommendations. But, you're on the right track, asking people with good haircuts! I'd also add that if you find someone who comes close to the haircut you want, stick with them, sometimes it takes a couple of times to work things through with a new cutter.

If you're the type to take pictures in to show the stylist (that can help), make sure you take photos that represent reality for your hair. Don't go in armed with photos of women with lush manes (many of those models are wearing hairpieces anyway) if you have thin, baby fine hair. Same goes for thick, unruly hair, don't expect a sleek style unless you're willing to fork out hundreds for a straightening system.

The salon I go to knows that I was in the business (years ago). One of the stylists brought me over a pic a client brought in to show her, I think I snorted coffee through my nose it was the most ridiculous ever. The picture showed a person in a yoga position, her head was upside down and she was behind a plant, you couldn't even see her hair :D I think the client wanted that body and it had nothing to do with hair. :rolleyes: Sorry to get so off topic, it was just a funny story.

Good luck to you, I hope you find a great hairstylist!

Curt - I only wish I were in LA with the choices. Unfortunately, I live in the somewhat boonies where most women sport "mom hair" or look like they just rolled out of bed half the time LOL. Thank you for your tips.

Karen - I like your idea of getting a sense of the stylist through just a wash/style. Thanks.

Happy - great tips, thanks. I wish I were one of those people that didn't know what styles worked for them and then I could claim ignorance, but that isn't the case. I have very thick shiny auburn somewhat wavy/curly hair. It straigtens nicely, but it takes time to do it. I just want my layers even. LOL Oh and LOL at your yoga pic story !!

Thank you everyone !!

The salon I go to knows that I was in the business (years ago). One of the stylists brought me over a pic a client brought in to show her, I think I snorted coffee through my nose it was the most ridiculous ever. The picture showed a person in a yoga position, her head was upside down and she was behind a plant, you couldn't even see her hair :D I think the client wanted that body and it had nothing to do with hair. :rolleyes: Sorry to get so off topic, it was just a funny story.

LOL...So, did that stylist ask her customer to hold that position so she could do the cut correctly? Or just shave all the customer's hair off? :rolleyes:

I found my new stylist by asking the women I work with - found two that went to the same guy! So I trotted myself in to see him, gave him some guidelines and then let him have his way with my hair! (I was really ready for a change anyway!) Worked out well for me!

Archived