Passport Update--Some Real Facts

villa10

If you read it carefully, it the word may is there for a reason. There are no guarantees. The Dept of State does not the the Dept of Homeland Security how to run their ports of entry. The word may is used as a legal disclaimer.

Well, if you believe that someone may not be allowed reentry without a passport that's your opinion. The reality is if someone is traveling with a birth certificate and valid picture id, although it may not be as quick, they are not going to be denied reentry.

You are correct, the passport (at least in the US) is not to leave the US. It is to prove who you are when entering another country (if required) and returning to the US (when required). A private jet is not necessarily the answer. Besides that an hour of flight (if it is a jet) will probably cost more than your cruise. If you are flying into a country without a passport and that country requires it, you will be denied entry and will have to go back. This is why the airlines require a passport in order to check you in. If entry into a country is denied because a passenger does not have the proper travel document, the airline not only is fined, but has to fly that individual back at their expense.

And since Mexico, Canada and most all of the Caribbean ports someone would be flying to in order to catch a cruise don't require passports, what are the airlines provisions, in writing?

Don't know. All I can tell you is my inlaws experience ;) They left ny and had a connecting flight. At the connecting flight my dadinlaw realized he left his passports home in the safe...lol

phone calls back and forth etc, not enough time to make the flight and they landed up missing the ship.

their friends went on, they came home the next night.

Quite honestly I've had a passport for so long I don't remember not having one so I've never even considered what would happen if I didn't have one.

Anyway, on all the international flights I've taken, I've had to show it to get on the flight.

But then again, I imagine a bc and a picture id would be sufficient to show proof of citizenship.

So yeah, it would totally be horrible to miss the ship and not be allowed to catch up to it. But whatever, it happens.

my inlaws cruise landed up being covered by trip insurance.

Even that's more actual then somebody just saying, well this is what it is because that's what I heard.

I imagine in your dadinlaw's instance he also didn't have his birth certificate on him. Like anybody carries that around with them. Sorry to hear they didn't make their cruise.

And I totally agree about international flights to countries that require passports, but with so many places in the Caribbean not it all becomes so vague. It'd be nice to know how that kind of situation would be handled.

I'm sure, unfortunately, we'll hear of somebody's experience eventually.

And you'd get to drive on the wrong side of the road, that could be cool. :p

Mmmm well for some of us its the rightside and I currently reside where its the wrong side for me but I got used to it pretty fast !!!! :eek: :D

Well, if you believe that someone may not be allowed reentry without a passport that's your opinion. The reality is if someone is traveling with a birth certificate and valid picture id, although it may not be as quick, they are not going to be denied reentry.

And since Mexico, Canada and most all of the Caribbean ports someone would be flying to in order to catch a cruise don't require passports, what are the airlines provisions, in writing?

I gave the information base on facts. The airlines will not allow one to board a plane back to the US without a passport. There may be times when a phone call can solve this problem, but not always the case. Specially on the weekends and after hours. You don't believe me, call an international flying airline.

I am not trying to tell people what to do. I am simply giving them head up so they don't come back here crying that they could not board a plane back to the US for 48 hours because the airline had to get clearance before allowing someone to fly back to the US without a passport. I have seen it happen and people on other threads have written about facing this problem themselves.

I am not trying to tell people what to do. I am simply giving them head up so they don't come back here crying that they could not board a plane back to the US for 48 hours because the airline had to get clearance before allowing someone to fly back to the US without a passport. I have seen it happen and people on other threads have written about facing this problem themselves.

How are these two quotes any different? :cool:

I'm just trying to help people understand that if they have to get off the ship they're cruising because of an emergency, they're not going to have to start a whole new life in a new country just because they don't have a passport.

I applied feb. 22nd and still do not have our passports! We are leaving for Paris June 8th so obviously just a BC won't do US any good! I sent an email to my Senator (Kay Bailey Hutchison) and someone from her office called me and took all our info, so hopefully they will be able to help. I agree with other posters-DO NOT WAIT TO GET THAT PASSPORT!! There is no such thing as thinking you have plenty of time! IMO, this will only get worse as the year goes by! Good luck to everyone still waiting!:)

villa 10,

We too, are at 11 weeks, 2 days--we are not leaving until 6/16, but I am starting to worry!! What number did you use to actually speak to a person? I have tried to call probably 6 times now--I spend about 2 1/2 minutes listening to someone spelling out the website which of course only tells me that my 4 passports are being processed, then it tells me all operators are busy so call back!!! Very frustrating!! We purchased our passports for the emergency situation, my son has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy and I did not want to be stuck in some remote foreign hospital with no way of getting home!

thanks,

Debbie

When you call the number, use the prompt given on the menu for scheduling appointments (#3 If I remember right). This will put you in a holding cue which will be answered by a person, not a recording. This worked for me back in March. Good Luck!

I also used this in March as it was posted on the Costa boards and DID help me tremendously. Just for information, when I got to the 14 day mark they did expedite at their own expense for mine and I recieved it 4 days before my departure.

Hope this helps!

Passport tips - get to talk to an actual human!

This won't help you get your passport any sooner but it can make you feel a little better:

When you call the passport number 877-487-2778 hit number "1" for English. You don't have to wait until the recording gets done talking

Then press "3" to check the status of your passport.

You will get a recording of a lady: "Due to high call volume...." just press "9" This will take you back to the previous menu.

Then press "3" again to check the status of your passport.

The lady will probably come back on "Due to high call volume"

Just keep pressing "3" then "9"

EVENTUALLY after you press "3" you will get a recording "your call is important to us please stay on the line and your call will be answered in greater than five minutes"

Then just wait, you will eventually get to talk to an actual person who may or may not be helpful.

You do not need to go through all those menus and pushing of buttons. At the beginning of the call when it says push 1 for English do not. It will then go over to Spanish. Then it will say, if you do not have a push button phone stay on the line. That's all you need to do--pretend you are living 20 years ago and that you have a rotary phone and can't push any buttons. It puts you directly into the cue assuming they are no so backed up you still get cutoff.

I gave the information base on facts. The airlines will not allow one to board a plane back to the US without a passport. There may be times when a phone call can solve this problem, but not always the case. Specially on the weekends and after hours. You don't believe me, call an international flying airline.

...always the case regardless of after hour or weekends. If you are an American Citizen and have a legitimate emergency - you will be given an IMMEDIATE clearance. There have already been many cruisers that have used this option to return home after missing the ship in port, the latest one was in a post on the RCI forum.

I am a commercial pilot, I am abroad a lot, I deal with travel daily! The State Dept is up and running 24/7, they will fax the airline directly with the clearance you need. You will have a much longer wait for scheduled flight service. Here is the 24/7 information that all cruisers should have available whether they have a passport or not:

OVERSEAS CITIZENS SERVICES: Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202 501-4444) for answers related to questions concerning the:

• Death of an American citizen abroad
  • Arrest/detention of an American citizen abroad
  • Robbery of an American citizen abroad
  • American citizens missing abroad
  • Crisis abroad involving American citizens
  • After-hours number for an emergency involving an American citizen abroad

...always the case regardless of after hour or weekends. If you are an American Citizen and have a legitimate emergency - you will be given an IMMEDIATE clearance. There have already been many cruisers that have used this option to return home after missing the ship in port, the latest one was in a post on the RCI forum.

I am a commercial pilot, I am abroad a lot, I deal with travel daily! The State Dept is up and running 24/7, they will fax the airline directly with the clearance you need. You will have a much longer wait for scheduled flight service. Here is the 24/7 information that all cruisers should have available whether they have a passport or not:

OVERSEAS CITIZENS SERVICES: Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202 501-4444) for answers related to questions concerning the:

• Death of an American citizen abroad
  • Arrest/detention of an American citizen abroad
  • Robbery of an American citizen abroad
  • American citizens missing abroad
  • Crisis abroad involving American citizens
  • After-hours number for an emergency involving an American citizen abroad

Good info to have, thanks. Now if vital statistic were open 24 hrs to confirm a birth certificate when someone never had a US passport, things would even be better.

Archived