confused about cabin configurations...

Up to this point, it's only been DH and I cruising. Now we're considering taking the kids on a short cruise, just to "test the waters", LOL. Before we'd picked cabins just based on locations, as it didn't really matter how many they slept, how much room they had, etc. We're OV fans, aft and port side of the ship.

Now that there's 4 of us to sleep, I'm confused as to what my options are. As I said, we usually pick cabins aft and port, OV. The kids will be 9/10 and 6/7 (depending on when we actually go), so their sharing a bed will probably fly, if need be. Can anyone "enlighten" me as to what our other options are? I know I've read that there are cabins that sleep 4, I just didn't ever pay attention to the particulars on HOW.

Thanks!:)

Up to this point, it's only been DH and I cruising. Now we're considering taking the kids on a short cruise, just to "test the waters", LOL. Before we'd picked cabins just based on locations, as it didn't really matter how many they slept, how much room they had, etc. We're OV fans, aft and port side of the ship.

Now that there's 4 of us to sleep, I'm confused as to what my options are. As I said, we usually pick cabins aft and port, OV. The kids will be 9/10 and 6/7 (depending on when we actually go), so their sharing a bed will probably fly, if need be. Can anyone "enlighten" me as to what our other options are? I know I've read that there are cabins that sleep 4, I just didn't ever pay attention to the particulars on HOW.

Cabins with a square sleep four and cabins with a star sleep three. This is the Valor Main deck. I find the cabin I want and follow the online booking process to see if it's available. If it doesn't show by category, I enter the number to check it.

VAMAIN.GIF

DH and I had OV that slept 4 on the Fascination (M51). Thought it would be tight quarters for 4 people even though that was what it was allegedly designed for. Two bunks folded down out of wall (up and locked during the day). One folded down across the top of the king bed......the other across the foot. You would really need to watch your head with those bunks folded down.

When our kids were that age, we got a balcony cabin on upper deck. There were the two singles pushed together for DH and me. The sofa became a bed. Then, there was a bed that came out of the ceiling directly over the sofa (room steward takes care of the sofa and ceiling bed). The upper bunk was safe, with a railing and sturdy ladder to get up there.

This worked out fine, especially with the balcony so that I could get out of the way when they were getting dressed, looking for shoes, watching kid stuff on tv, etc.

We did this for three years, until they were 10 and 13 -- then put them in a cabin across the hall from us so we could all have a lot of room.

I never thought about connecting cabins because I always wanted a balcony (balcony snob :p ) and I would be a wreck if the kids had a balcony. If you are going for OV or inside cabins, I would recommend connecting cabins. The cost for a second cabin, esp inside or OV, is not that much more than the 3rd and 4th person in a balcony. It is great to have more room (plus another bathroom).

The cabins with the pull down bunks were roomy enough for the amount of time you spend in it. The bunks have rails, so there's no need to worry about them rolling out. The first cruise with the girls, they were 12 & 15. The 12 yr old always stayed on the window sill looking out. That was her favorite spot. Last year the 12 yr old, who is now 16, stayed on the same sill looking out. We have then & now pictures that are funny. Our OV aft cabins were U197 on the Inspiration & U205 on the Sensation. Great location BTW.

Conquest type cabins have a wonderfull spa deck family OV that has floor to ceiling windows. Even though these windows are slanted they have a wonderfull view and may be as large as 275 sf. but someone else said 245 sf, whichever, they are quite large OVs. Look on the spa deck for OV, they are listed as 6Es. They would be my choice for a reasonably priced cabin.

Hi Momma,

If you are considering one quad room keep in mind that the OV rooms are approx 220 sq ft and the balcony rooms are 185 sq ft. I love my balcony but when I go visit my friends in their OV room I am always amazed at how much more space they have.

Archived