QE2 or QV which Cunard Ship is doing better in the bookings for the 2008 World Cruise

cedric1902

This is something I just thought of comparing the 2 ships as to is it the Queen Elizabeth 2 or the Queen Victoria that is out-selling the other Cunard Ship in the bookings for the 2008 World Cruise.Does anyone know? Would the Cunard passengers rather stick to a dear old friend in the QE2 and take the World Cruise aboard her? Or would they think why don't we try the new girl on the block and take our next World Cruise aboard the Queen Victoria.I will be aboard the QE2 on the last leg of the 2008 World Cruise which is the New York to Southampton transatlantic crossing on April 12,2008. Regards, Cedric 1902 (Jerry is my real name)

This is something I just thought of comparing the 2 ships as to is it the Queen Elizabeth 2 or the Queen Victoria that is out-selling the other Cunard Ship in the bookings for the 2008 World Cruise.Does anyone know? Would the Cunard passengers rather stick to a dear old friend in the QE2 and take the World Cruise aboard her? Or would they think why don't we try the new girl on the block and take our next World Cruise aboard the Queen Victoria.I will be aboard the QE2 on the last leg of the 2008 World Cruise which is the New York to Southampton transatlantic crossing on April 12,2008. Regards, Cedric 1902 (Jerry is my real name)

We will have to let the TAs among us answer the question as to bookings. In answer as to why one over the other. No comparison. Even through the QE2's voyage is not as long nor a technical round the worlder, there are only so many years left in the gal and to not take a world cruise on her would be to miss one of the very last chances at true traditional sailing. The Vic will be around for many a year and one can always catch up later on.

Secondly, this will be a true maiden voyage for Vicky not counting a small sea trial in December.I'm not sure if I would care to put down serious money for a 108 day shake out voyage. It could be wonderful or it could be the stuff of legendary catastrophy as to service and the ship's general workings.

I have no idea, since I am not a TA and have no access to Cunard's system...but my wild guess would be that the QE2 would be more "full." She's a smaller ship with a very loyal following, so as a percentage of cabins sold, she's probably ahead of the QV.

I have no idea, since I am not a TA and have no access to Cunard's system...but my wild guess would be that the QE2 would be more "full." She's a smaller ship with a very loyal following, so as a percentage of cabins sold, she's probably ahead of the QV.

QE2 is the larger ship and it is not a full world cruise, she did that this year. There is a wait list for parts of QV's world cruise and it is probably the same for QE2s Pacific Circle cruise.

Size: Queen Mary2 largest, Queen Elizabeth2 just right size,

Queen Victoria smaller

TA here... the QV is fully booked for her world.

QE2 is not doing a true world, and she still has space available... but Cunard is sold out for the wb ta on Jan 6th. The only space available.. is in the hands of group agents.

QV booked out in record time for a world cruise.

Size: Queen Mary2 largest, Queen Elizabeth2 just right size, Queen Victoria smaller

Nope:

QE2: 1,778 pax, 70,372 tonnes

QM2: 2,610 pax, 151,400 tonnes

QV: 2,014 pax, 90,000 tonnes

QE2 is smallest in terms of both passengers and tonnage.

Peter

QE2 is not doing a true world, and she still has space available... but Cunard is sold out for the wb ta on Jan 6th. The only space available.. is in the hands of group agents.

Interesting, I stand corrected!

What ???? :confused:

No words of dissent from the QE2 'officienados' ???? :rolleyes:

Surely the slow new Vista isn't outselling the old Atlantic greyhound ??? :eek:

If this carries on they might want to build another QV instead of ... well you know what !!!! :cool:

Ken :D

No words of dissent from the QE2 'officienados' ???? :rolleyes:

Surely the slow new Vista isn't outselling the old Atlantic greyhound ??? :eek:

If this carries on they might want to build another QV instead of ... well you know what !!!! :cool:

Ken :D

Old money isn't quite as quick to pull the cash from the portfolio as new money is. The QE2 will be quite nicely filled before she sails in January.

Old money isn't quite as quick to pull the cash from the portfolio as new money is. The QE2 will be quite nicely filled before she sails in January.

You are joking ?? Right ?? :eek:

I think any old money will do for Cunard / Carnival :rolleyes:

Hardly surprising that a 'first' World Cruise sells out before a 'twenty sixth'....:rolleyes:

And there's still space available on the QV Trans Atlantic - probably wise........

Carol Marlowe was quoted at a TA Conference yesterday saying that there might well be more Cunard ships in the future.....I wonder what Carnival Cast-off the Queen Anne will be......'Signature' (son of Spirit, son of Vista) very likely......:D

Hardly surprising that a 'first' World Cruise sells out before a 'twenty sixth'....:rolleyes:

What ??? - when there are so many more spaces to fill, when QV is so slow, when it's the first World Cruise on a Vista without one having done it before, when QE2 has so many loyal fans with all that 'old' money, when it may be one of QE2's last worlds etc. etc. etc ?????

And there's still space available on the QV Trans Atlantic - probably wise........

Is this correct ? Thought this was part of the World Cruise (albeit a very small part)???

Carol Marlowe was quoted at a TA Conference yesterday saying that there might well be more Cunard ships in the future.....I wonder what Carnival Cast-off the Queen Anne will be......'Signature' (son of Spirit, son of Vista) very likely......:D

Good for her, but I doubt it will be a cast off - P&O got the Cunard cast off when they realised it wasn't right. Queen Anne will be based on QV with modifications from first hand experience of running her (like enough spaces in QG to allow triple occupancy of suites etc.)

Ken

Is this correct ? Thought this was part of the World Cruise (albeit a very small part)???

No, the QV ta is full.

I have to laugh at times.....some people forget that Cruise Critic is only a miniscule reflection of cruisers worldwide. While the QM2 is an interesting ship, world cruisers did not take to her. Bigger turned out to be not better.

The QV with her more diminuitive size captured the hearts of world cruisers before a single ACTUAL photo of the ship, before one single review.

That she'll only have two voyages under her belt before her maiden world cruise and she sold out so quickly attests to the fact that the marketing gurus still don't understand their clients.

No, the QV ta is full.

Must have changed in the week or so since I asked - however, to be precise, she's fully booked.....she still has 2014 people to pony up the final amount...starting from October.......

While the QM2 is an interesting ship, world cruisers did not take to her.

At the time I recall hearing that the QM2 did not sell as well as the QE2 - which would explain why she's doing the Caribbean out of NY this winter - wonder how that will go.......currently the Caribbean is a tough market - but that may also reflect US economy & the demographics of the Caribbean cruiser.....

Peter

Must have changed in the week or so since I asked - however, to be precise, she's fully booked.....she still has 2014 people to pony up the final amount...starting from October.......

Which also applies to QE2 of course - with all that old money coming out of the vaults.

At the time I recall hearing that the QM2 did not sell as well as the QE2 - which would explain why she's doing the Caribbean out of NY this winter - wonder how that will go.......currently the Caribbean is a tough market - but that may also reflect US economy & the demographics of the Caribbean cruiser.....

Peter

Perhaps this had to do with it being such a short world cruise in 80 days??? A lot of sea days, not too many ports of call and around South America for the 3rd time in just over a year. It all seemed a bit rushed to me.

Ken

Perhaps this had to do with it being such a short world cruise in 80 days??? A lot of sea days, not too many ports of call and around South America for the 3rd time in just over a year. It all seemed a bit rushed to me. Ken

That might well be part of it - I reckon if you can take off 80 days you can take off 100......she might be up for another one in 2009.....at the Carnival shareholders meeting Micky was dropping hints about the QE2 doing 'line' voyages - like South Africa or Australia....but it 'wasn't his call'.....time will tell....lets see how QM2's 2008 New York Caribbean season goes.....

Peter

That might well be part of it - I reckon if you can take off 80 days you can take off 100......she might be up for another one in 2009.....at the Carnival shareholders meeting Micky was dropping hints about the QE2 doing 'line' voyages - like South Africa or Australia....but it 'wasn't his call'.....time will tell....lets see how QM2's 2008 New York Caribbean season goes.....

Peter

..... and if you make the whole thing longer then that makes for more exciting segments - which I believe made up the larger part of business in QM2's world cruise. Would love to see QM2 doing more line voyages from UK or NY to South Africa and the Indian Ocean in the winter season - it just seems to me that it's what she was built for?? Not sure what they will do with QE2 in the next few years - unless she gets an 5* makeover then I don't see her appealing to the general US market (as opposed to her current US fans) so would long line voyages out of the UK be viable??

Ken

[quote=KenC;10227891 so would long line voyages out of the UK be viable??

Ken

Line voyages can (obviously) be as short as Southampton - New York. I would have thought that a couple of back to back transatlantics would sell well - especially if things were worked out so that one could come out on QE2 and home on QM2 or vice versa.

To do a Southampton - New York - Southampton featuring the only two extant and operating liners?

Must be a draw!

Matthew

Line voyages can (obviously) be as short as Southampton - New York. I would have thought that a couple of back to back transatlantics would sell well - especially if things were worked out so that one could come out on QE2 and home on QM2 or vice versa.

To do a Southampton - New York - Southampton featuring the only two extant and operating liners?

Must be a draw!

Matthew

Don't think there is enough demand for 2 ships on the Atlantic even in the summer and I was really wondering more what they would do with her in the winter if she isn't doing world cruises. In the Spring/Summer/Autumn I guess she will still continue with the usual round of Med/Canaries/Norway with the odd transatlantic as part of a longer cruise. From what I've read (and heard from Stephen Payne), Cunard have withdrawn her from Atlantic crossings to prolong her life by not putting the aluminium superstructure under any more storm condition stress than necessary.

Ken

out on QE2 and home on QM2 or vice versa.

Must be a draw!

Matthew

Matthew, where do I put my name down? And what I'd give to be aboard one of them when she passed the other, mid atlantic, at speed (as used to happen).

Australia and back via Cape Town ,with a short cruise round Aus.,takeing in Perth-Adelade-Melbourne and last call Sydney . Sold right she would be full with all of us that don,t do flying . Oh bring on the day. I live in hope.:)

Ah, for the first time ever I will be able to sail eastbound on QE2(April '08) to Southampton, and four days later sail westbound back to NYC on the QM2, just like the old days. Cunard should do this type of schedule more often.

Wouldn't you say, though, that the fact that it's sold out could be in large part because she is a brand new ship? Of course, people want to be on her first world voyage, if for no other reason than the novelty of it. I'd bet, though, that the QE2 would outsell the rest of the fleet on a consistent basis, though.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived