1. 1. Detailed how formal do you dress Poll 7 options

• Gown
    • Tux
    • Cocktail dress
    • Suit
    • Country club casual
    • Military
    • Shorts,jeans and I eat at the buffet that night

I am spending thousands of dollars on a vacation that provides two formal evenings. I am choosing this format of travel because I enjoy the perks and the atmosphere. Having two children and being blessed as a stay at home mom, our budget does not allow for many black tie events nor high class restaurants. There are only two nights a year I have my daughters out of school uniforms or jeans and my honey in a tux.

Yes, formal nights are a wonderful opportunity for us. It is all part of the cruising package. Why travelers that do not enjoy the formal nights do not choose freestyle cruising is beyond me. Frankly, IMHO, I miss the day of cruising in the seventies and eighties when jeans would not have been tolerated, period, and country club attire was the norm. It just made the atmosphere.

That said, I accept the choice of fellow carnival cruisers to dress down and be "comfortable", as many could say that I should choose Crystal Cruise lines if that is the atmosphere I prefer. But, I in fact, place a priority on being a stay at home mom and therefore do not have the second income to support my champagne and diamonds taste. Therefore, I will tolerate your jeans on casual night but, please respect my gown and formal dining atmosphere on formal nights. You win 6 nights out of 8 on my cruise!!

I am spending thousands of dollars on a vacation that provides two formal evenings. I am choosing this format of travel because I enjoy the perks and the atmosphere. Having two children and being blessed as a stay at home mom, our budget does not allow for many black tie events nor high class restaurants. There are only two nights a year I have my daughters out of school uniforms or jeans and my honey in a tux.

Yes, formal nights are a wonderful opportunity for us. It is all part of the cruising package. Why travelers that do not enjoy the formal nights do not choose freestyle cruising is beyond me. Frankly, IMHO, I miss the day of cruising in the seventies and eighties when jeans would not have been tolerated, period, and country club attire was the norm. It just made the atmosphere.

That said, I accept the choice of fellow carnival cruisers to dress down and be "comfortable", as many could say that I should choose Crystal Cruise lines if that is the atmosphere I prefer. But, I in fact, place a priority on being a stay at home mom and therefore do not have the second income to support my champagne and diamonds taste. Therefore, I will tolerate your jeans on casual night but, please respect my gown and formal dining atmosphere on formal nights. You win 6 nights out of 8 on my cruise!!

Beautifully said! I couldn't agree more!

Moderators, can we please have a sticky that says:

Dress formal for formal night. Period.

Tip the required amount - end of story.

Irons/candles are not allowed.

There is plenty of alcohol on board - no need to smuggle more.

Jeans are not slacks. Flip flops are not sandals.

Pick a cabin if you don't want to gamble on a guarantee.

People who have been around a long time are sick of those topics.:p

Disclaimer: this is humor.:D

Thank you Mis - Very nicely said!!

[quote People who have been around a long time are sick of those topics.:p

Maybe people who have been around a long time and are sick of it should think of some new and interesting topics to talk about....Humor.....:D

Moderators, can we please have a sticky that says:

Dress formal for formal night. Period.

Tip the required amount - end of story.

Irons/candles are not allowed.

There is plenty of alcohol on board - no need to smuggle more.

Jeans are not slacks. Flip flops are not sandals.

Pick a cabin if you don't want to gamble on a guarantee.

People who have been around a long time are sick of those topics.:p

:p Yuk! Yuk!

Since the other poll did not have enough variables, lets try it again with more options.Please feel free to vote for your significant other as multiple choices are allowed.

Steveeeee

come on Steve, get creative. Do another tipping poll!:rolleyes:

Bill

It does not take long for the cruise police to raise their heads from the sand and start telling others what they should be doing when the other person's choice is not the same as theirs. When will the police realize it is none of their business and they can not do anything about what others do as long as Carnival has no problem....and it seems not too. Everyone is aware of what Carnival states as code but we all know it is not enforced!!!!! So what is the point?

Of course he's Steveaaaaa. Oh Randy, where are you?????:D

Doesn't matter.. if he gets banned again he will just come back as steveiiiiiiii, then steveooooooo.... he'll just be steve the vowel-repeating boomerang ;)

It does not take long for the cruise police to raise their heads from the sand and start telling others what they should be doing when the other person's choice is not the same as theirs. When will the police realize it is none of their business and they can not do anything about what others do as long as Carnival has no problem....and it seems not too. Everyone is aware of what Carnival states as code but we all know it is not enforced!!!!! So what is the point?

Try googling some dress etiquette sites.

A "Dress Code" is a way for a host [Carnival] to inform their guests [us] of the expected and proper dress for the event. It is to prevent embarrassment of a guest by them over or under dressing.

For a host to, "ENFORCE" a dress code would be considered rude.

Likewise for a guest to intentionally violate a known dress code, is equally rude.

Sorry if you don't like it but it is one of the rules of "proper" conduct.

A dress code is completely different from dress restrictions like no shorts, or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner. Those are RULES and should be enforced [even tho they're not always enforced]

This poll shows only 54 of 317 do not comply with the very liberal dress code on Carnival. That is 83 PERCENT that honor the dress code. Showing respect for others and self respect. Which is a major factor for all of us to be able to get along in our crowded world.

Dan

Carnival is the fun ship! if you want to dress up and be stuffy try a different cruise line, it would fit you better!

ps look at how many times the people have cruised for them wanting to dress up, usually it is not the seasoned traveler!

Carnival is the fun ship! if you want to dress up and be stuffy try a different cruise line, it would fit you better!

ps look at how many times the people have cruised for them wanting to dress up, usually it is not the seasoned traveler!

I'm a perfect example of what you state. I've been on about 14 cruises so I don't think I'd be considered a seasoned travel although I dress up in my tux.:rolleyes:

Stuffy Bill

Manatee Mom. Wrong. 19 cruises and I still look forward to formal nights. Why do you suggest that those that adhere to the expected dress standards are stuffy? ? ? ? ? they are only being polite and courteous. Please tell us why.

Manatee Mom. Wrong. 19 cruises and I still look forward to formal nights. Why do you suggest that those that adhere to the expected dress standards are stuffy? ? ? ? ? they are only being polite and courteous. Please tell us why.

Looking at all the posts, i have to say, most of the people who dress up on formal nights are seasoned cruisers.

Try googling some dress etiquette sites.

A "Dress Code" is a way for a host [Carnival] to inform their guests [us] of the expected and proper dress for the event. It is to prevent embarrassment of a guest by them over or under dressing.

For a host to, "ENFORCE" a dress code would be considered rude.

Likewise for a guest to intentionally violate a known dress code, is equally rude.

Sorry if you don't like it but it is one of the rules of "proper" conduct.

A dress code is completely different from dress restrictions like no shorts, or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner. Those are RULES and should be enforced [even tho they're not always enforced]

This poll shows only 54 of 317 do not comply with the very liberal dress code on Carnival. That is 83 PERCENT that honor the dress code. Showing respect for others and self respect. Which is a major factor for all of us to be able to get along in our crowded world.

Dan

Your statements may be correct but it is not your place to be telling other cruisers how they should dress. Why don't you dress as you wish and let the others do as they wish. There is nothing you can do about it anyway. Bet you are miserable at dinner checking out how everyone is meeting standards. Just relax and try not to be so "high and mighty" about the whole thing. It is probably not the biggest problem you have.

Anybody else add up the percentages? It is over 130%. I thought polls were supposed to equal 100% total.:confused: To do it right (in my mind:D ) you would need to lump together Tux and gown to cover male/female and suit/cocktail dress and then resort casual.

Not that it matters anyway, you can set as many polls as you want (correct or incorrect) and the outcome is not going to change anyone's mind as to what they are going to wear. It could be 99% say dress formally and it won't change anything.

Yes, Carnival is the FUNship cruise line. As a FUNship, it's rules and guidelines are clearly stated. You have 5-12 nights in which to wear you jeans and casual attire. You are asked to RESPECT my fun 1-2 formal nights per cruise. I know this when I pay and book, so do you. :rolleyes:

FREESTYLE cruising is available for those that do not wish to participate in any formal evenings. As I could chose a cruise line with higher requirements of their cruisers, likewise you could choose freestyle cruising. I am asked to respect your casual for over 95% of my cruise, you can be mannered and courteous enough to respect my formal 5% of the time. (A whopping 5-10 hours) Carnival offers a lovely buffet on all cruises for those that do not enjoy formals. You are more than welcome to wear what you wish on the Lido deck. :D

The rules are clearly stated for all that cruise Carnival. It is unkind and disrespectful to call those who enjoy and respect the policies and perks they are paying for childish names. As for being seasoned travelers...cruises are listed, not travels. Many of us travel outside cruising venues. That is truly an unjustifiable, uniformed and ungrounded comment.

Archived