Meds on Board

nucrewzers

What is the policy regarding insulin/syringes?

My G.F. is a type I diabetic and needs to have her meds refrigerated, in addition to having to have syringes at close proximity.

Does the cruiseline allow small coolers or can we have the meds refrigerated some how?

Also, does she need a prescription for these meds?

What about pre-boarding inspections?

Thanks folks!

Conquest cabins I have heard all have refrigerators, so probably all of that type of ship also have them? Not sure which ship you are on.

All Princess ships also have refrigerators as far as I know.

We are travelling with a diabetic and did so last December. She found sugar free desserts at every meal which were not quite as good, but almost as good as those ones made with sugar and goo.

She also told our PVP so the ship would know ahead of time and I think there is some sort of container for needles. Probably someone else has the correct terminology.

What is the policy regarding insulin/syringes?

My G.F. is a type I diabetic and needs to have her meds refrigerated, in addition to having to have syringes at close proximity.

Does the cruiseline allow small coolers or can we have the meds refrigerated some how?

Also, does she need a prescription for these meds?

What about pre-boarding inspections?

Thanks folks!

As far as traveling with the meds and needles, you don't say whether you are flying to port. I imagine she would rather be safe than sorry and carry the prescription for these items with her. Also, (not that you would) do not put them in checked luggage. No way do you want these getting lost. And warn the baggage screeners that you have needles in the carry on bag.

Conquest cabins I have heard all have refrigerators, so probably all of that type of ship also have them? Not sure which ship you are on.

All Princess ships also have refrigerators as far as I know.

We are travelling with a diabetic and did so last December. She found sugar free desserts at every meal which were not quite as good, but almost as good as those ones made with sugar and goo.

She also told our PVP so the ship would know ahead of time and I think there is some sort of container for needles. Probably someone else has the correct terminology.

Sorry, we're on the Pride.

I think the correct terminology is "sharps".

(I just hope she won't need to use them, as she is a die-hard sugar junkie!)

But thanks for the info Firefly!!!

Hope this helps.

Contact Carnival either through you PVP or from the 1-888 phone number. They have a "special requirements information" form for you (her) to fill out.

It does not need to be signed by a doctor, just the "patient". It basically asks your name, booking #, and special needs information. It's just information regarding you're medical conditions. They like you to be as specific as possible.

As per the paperwork, I'm looking at it right now, and it has a certain section for guest with diabetes, and asks if it's controlled through diet and or medication. If you require medication, you need to notify the infirmary or housekeeping on-board for a sharps container.

It also asks that you carry a copy of you're medical records, in case of medical care needed on board. (That part's just a recommendation)

The paperwork gets sent back to Carnival Cruise Lines, Guest Access Service Desk.

When I went, I made a copy of the paperwork, and mailed them back the original. I also sent it certified to verify that they did indeed get a copy of it. Since I'm a little neurotic, I carried a copy of the letter and receipt with my paperwork, in case of an emergency.

Hope this should be some help. I also believe there is some kind of disability board of that sort if there are any specific diabetic cruising questions. (Not that diabetes is a disability -- but I think it would be addressed under there -- I could be wrong)

In any case, I think you will be okay. Have fun!!

DW has MS and is being treated with Betaseron - injections every other day - so we have to bring several doses and her auto-injector with us when we cruise. Luckily, it doesn't need to be refrigerated, but I believe all cabins on Conquest and Spirit Class ships have minibar fridges in the cabins. I'm sure Carnival would make all necessary arrangements if necessary, including giving you a sharps container for the used syringes. We've never had a problem with carrying the doses and injector on airplanes - we simply keep it in the carry on and take everything out when going through security, much the same as the clear quart sized ziploc bag of toiletries. One airport screener wondered what the injector was since it looked strange in the x-ray, but it wasn't a big deal. The cruise screeners at embarkation have never questioned us on it.

Archived