Rccl vs. Princess

Rcl Obsesd

Just being a SHip choice.

Yes by far the Crown..it is so much newer and the USCG has done a recent inspection which it passed with flying colors (colours) !

One does leave from the Red Hook section of Brooklyn Borough, NYC, NY the other almost directly across the River in Bayonne, Hudson County, NJ:cool:

We are planning to leave from New York for a 9 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on either RCL Explorer of the Seas or Crown Princess.

Would you have a preference?

We are platinum on Princess but our next cruise is on the Explorer of the Seas -1 of the 2 best RCL ships so I've read. Just sailed the Emerald (similar to the Crown) and had a positive experience BUT the more I read about and see pix of the EOS the more excited we are getting. Is there a difference in your itinerary and/or cost? What are your preferences, e.g., how important are the internet and fresh water pools to you?

I've sailed on both the Crown and Explorer. Here's my take:

Ship - Crown is understated and elegant. EOS is a WOW. Not glitzy like Carnival just amazing. The Promenade is unlike anything you've ever seen on a cruise ship outside of other RCI Voyager class ships. The 3 tiered dining room is spectacular. Huge pool areas. Ice skating in the Caribbean. You know you're on a big ship, while the Crown has a small ship feel.

Cabins - Crown are more spacious with larger verandahs.

Service - Both quite good although I prefer Princess' dining room staff. Italians are just so gracious.

Food - Crown, hands down. Better quality, selection, presentation.

Activities - Everyone knows about the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, etc. If you're into that, have fun. I prefer a good book and cold drink. Princess has plenty to do and you can keep active too.

Dining options - Princess's Anytime dining vs RCI's traditional seating. Anytime is definitely for me. Eat whenever you like and always at a table for 2 (our preference). But some like the assigned seating, which, by the way, you can opt for on Princess also.

Overall, my preference is Princess. But EOS is pretty good too. I don't think you can go wrong with either. It depends on what's important to you.

Excellant question, I just got off the Crown and we booked the EOS for next May, we were going to do the Crown again but the EOS is about $400.00 pp cheeper for the basically the same cruise (I believe it goes to Haiti instead of the Turks?) so we booked the EOS. I hope I made the right decision :eek:

Excellant question, I just got off the Crown and we booked the EOS for next May, we were going to do the Crown again but the EOS is about $400.00 pp cheeper for the basically the same cruise (I believe it goes to Haiti instead of the Turks?) so we booked the EOS. I hope I made the right decision :eek:

You got lucky, because when I priced RCCL vs. Princess for the cruise I'm going on at the end of August, RCCL was tremendously higher.

I would say to the OP that if you've never tried either, you should try them both. I've been on EOS twice, and we're going on Crown Princess for the second time. They both have their charms.

The EOS does have the promenade, which is hard to beat. But, Crown has a simple elegance to it that we found very appealing.

It really is a subjective thing. Everyone has their own standards of what they like. I say, try them all, and see how you like them. Nothing wrong with cruising! ;)

Sharon H.

Decide what is the most important thing to you and chose from that. If one is cheaper and it's money then pick the cheaper cruise. If you are more of a foodie; go with Princess. Prefer a wider variety of activities and things to do: Royal Caribbean is your choice. I am diamond on RCCL and Platinum on Princess; you won't go wrong with either line or ship.

Archived