P&O ships - how different are they from each other?

tom_uk

For the last couple of years I've been reading the P&O brochures, watching the DVDs, and even went to a P&O presentation. It's clear that P&O present their ships as having different qualities: Oriana & Aurora are 'Original & Authentic', Oceana is 'Contemporary & Innovative' and Artemis is 'Traditional & Intimate'. Interestingly, whereas 18 months ago Arcadia was grouped with Oceana as contemporary, etc, she's now classed as original, etc, along with Oriana/Aurora. (I'm leaving Ventura out of the argument for now.)

As you can see from my sig I haven't been on a P&O cruise yet, so I thought I'd ask the forum: in practice, how much difference is there between them? Are the tags broadly correct? And what about short cruises? - do the differences (if there any) still apply on a shorter cruise?

Hi Tom,

I would tend to say that the tags are fairly accurate. The traditional style, understated and more formal does apply, certainly to Oriana. Arcadia is a bit of a mix’n’match, having been laid down for HAL, passed to Cunard and then to P&O. You can see the Cunard influence in the interiors, but that’s no bad thing. However, I do quite like the ship and the ambience, my only real concerns being the “deck chair hogs” and the congestion in the Belvedere. Oceana is the only other current ship of which I have experience and I’m afraid that I’m in the minority. She’s too glitzy for me. The passenger flow doesn’t work for me. She’s an American design, for Americans, and it shows. That is my experience of the current fleet.

My preference does tend toward the traditional; indeed I still pine for the old Victoria!

David

Aurora is a family freindly and I think 'fun' ship. I like to see the kids enjoying theirselves, even though mine have grown up. Also you can go and chill out without even seeing them. The layout of the ship works really well.

Oriana before he refit was lovely but on my cruise was mainly elderly people so evening entertainment not as fun.

Artemis according to my parents is like putting your slippers on. No kids and parents are 65. My daughter and I are going next year she will be 18 and still looking forward to it.

Oceana - again according to parents. Layout of ship not very good as they had to do a lot of walking to get anywhere. Also they loved the food in the dining rooms but not the buffet.

I think its pot luck what you go on. Like any holiday you will some things and not others. If you have kids I would say Aurora. Im probably biased but she is my favourite ship. But she was my first.

Good luck.

The two child free ships Arcadia 82,505 tonnes - built a few years ago in 2005 contemporary, modern, with a Arcadian Rhodes restaurant and a Thai restaurant for alternative dining.

Artemis built in 1984, so elderly and quite small at 44,348 tonnes.

or perhaps Oceana with plated food now or

Aurora and Oriana both lovely ships, such a choice.

And to make matters harder Ventura - a massive 115,000 tonnes coming to us next May - a family ship with noddy onboard, but plenty for adults too such as a tapas cafe and comedy club.

A very good book to buy for reading up on all the ships sailing in the world - a cruisers 'bible' is :

''Complete guide to cruising and cruise ships 2007'' (re-printed every year)

It gives you ratings on ALL the ships out there, a must !

AVAILABLE AT ALL GOOD BOOK STORES AND ON THE INTERNET

Sue:D

Archived