Aft vs. Front of ship

mexico5

Hi, my husband and I went on the Princess Star in Dec and just LOVED it(it was our first cruise). We had a mini suite E723. Now I have finally convinced my mother to go with me in December of this year. We will be wanting a balcony cabin since my mom smokes! I have two questions for you.

I have noticed quite a price difference between balcony cabins at the back of the ship vs. the front. So the back ones must be better right? How are they better, do people just like the location(?close to things) or is it because of motion? I slept like a baby in our aft cabin and did not notice any motion at all. Will it be a mistake to get a front cabin? I am not concerned with location, just motion, just in case my mom gets motion sickness.

I loved the Princess Star and was wondering if anyone knew which one out of the Golden and Dawn(going to Mexican Riviera) would be most similar in terms of age(people's age), relaxing, etc... perhaps one is more of a fun, party atmosphere? One sails from LAX and one from San Diego, if that makes a difference in any way.

Thanks so much for your help!

My observation has been that on the biggest class of Princess ships, the motion in rough weather is not quite as severe in aft locations as it is if you are far forward. You still get a lot of movement, but it's more side to side and less jarring than the up and down banging you get up front. Of course, if the weather's fine, it doesn't matter a bit.

Veranda cabins and suites on the stern of ships are often great because they may have oversized - REALLY oversized - balconies (especially corner aft).

On Westerdam, we had a aft/corner veranda that was probably 6-10 times or more bigger than the typical veranda. I was absurd - circular table for 6, multiple loungers; chairs and end tables on the side.

The bow tends to take the ship's motion more, the stern to a lesser extent with the least movement at mid-ship especially lower decks (interior).

Archived