People of color's hair and the onboard salon

I know this sounds like a crazy thread, but do they do people of color's hair on board? (for those that may not know, specifically black people)

I would love to go swimming and all that, without having the hassle of doing my hair when I get back onboard. I've cruised many times, and usually I don't go swimming, or if I do, I wash it when I get back. I'm just too lazy this time to do all of that.

I would hope that they do. I am taking a Princess cruise next year. I wear my hair very short, wash and wear and am sure I would get friendly service. Stylists are supposed to be able to do all types of hair. There are also ladies of several ethnic groups that have hair which is not straight, who would need to get their hair done while on the ship.

Hi heatherandfred,

Just ask if they have someone. I get my hair washed and set at least once on every cruise. They use those rollers that don’t use pins to hold the rollers.

I’ve had stylist from Australia, South Africa, and England. I only had one that didn’t do a good job and that was when he tried to blow dry my hair, which is very thick. Even with a relaxer it took forever.

The products they use are the same ones that they sell in the salon; or ask if you can take your own, I always use theirs.

Maxine

I know this sounds like a crazy thread, but do they do people of color's hair on board? (for those that may not know, specifically black people)

I would love to go swimming and all that, without having the hassle of doing my hair when I get back onboard. I've cruised many times, and usually I don't go swimming, or if I do, I wash it when I get back. I'm just too lazy this time to do all of that.

I am not black, but I did have my hair colored on board the Diamond Princess in 05. I would like to think they could color your hair. Maybe you could ask they person that does your hair what they use and buy it at a beauty supply shop and bring it on board. If they don't have what you need, I am sure they would apply your product for you.

Shelley

I'm cruising on Sept. 6th....

I wear my hair natural because I do plan to go swimming. Yep... I wear the 1970s afro! My only issue will be my rinse, rinsing out! LOL!

I hear you girl, My hair will look like an afro when I get done with the water..lol.

I just hope I don't have any problems on board, I would hate to hear that they don't do my type of hair, even though it'll be relaxed.

What an interesting question! Thank you for asking it, because I have not heard it before. I lived with two black women for a time, and I found their hair care regiment to be fascinating. I think a lot of people have no idea how different the texture is, and thus how different the hair care routine is. I have definitely seen black women in the beauty salon on Caribbean Princess, but I'm afraid I can't speak to the quality. I hope you are able to find somebody who is excellent so that you can just not worry about it!

I don't think she was asking of they apply COLOR to people's hair. I thought she was inquiring if they work on hair on "people of color". In other words, as she said, black people's hair. Did I read that right?

I am not black, but I did have my hair colored on board the Diamond Princess in 05. I would like to think they could color your hair. Maybe you could ask they person that does your hair what they use and buy it at a beauty supply shop and bring it on board. If they don't have what you need, I am sure they would apply your product for you.

Shelley

I don't think she was asking of they apply COLOR to people's hair. I thought she was inquiring if they work on hair on "people of color". In other words, as she said, black people's hair. Did I read that right?

GoodasGold, you're correct. I was asking about "women of color", not "coloring" hair..

Sanjosebarbie, yes it does take some time to do my hair, it's not as easy as it looks. Put it this way, it's a long drawn out process..lol. At least 2 hours from start to finish. It could be a lot longer, depending on who's in the salon at the time and if they're getting the same service as me. I guess I have to say it(and I don't like that it is so), that a lot of black people do not do cruises and perhaps that's why a question like this has never been raised.

i would think that since you are willing to pay-- they dont care what color you are.

These things do tend to be costly...so be prepared.

make your appointments when you first board the ship as they will fill up quickly--especially on formal nights.

Yes, they will definitely give you a wash and set or blow dry in the onboard salon. However, the quality may not be what your accustomed to at home. Although stylists are trained to work with all different textures of hair, not everyone is good with black clients.

I've worn braids on almost all of my cruises. It's just easier. :)

i would think that since you are willing to pay-- they dont care what color you are.

These things do tend to be costly...so be prepared.

make your appointments when you first board the ship as they will fill up quickly--especially on formal nights.

Serene, I'm more than aware of how much it will cost. It may probably be even cheaper than my own salon. I'm just looking for a wash and set after I get done with my water activities.

I'm sure they probably don't care what color I am, but I am concerned if they know how to do my type of hair texture. It's a delicate process and I'm not interested in having it damaged in any way shape or form.

I'm sure they probably don't care what color I am, but I am concerned if they know how to do my type of hair texture. It's a delicate process and I'm not interested in having it damaged in any way shape or form.

i'd be curious before i booked and asked how long they had their license. ( i mean we can ask that right?)

do the spa staff have licenses??

Hi all,

I was thinking about getting braids before my cruise. I am very protective of my hair and thought about perhaps using a swimming cap (if these are still made). Is there anyone out there who has tried this? I have had braids 2 times in my 38 years, if you wear braids and swim, by washing it nightly does that tend to get saltwater/chlorine completely out? Does washing like that ruin the condition of braids after a short while?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to weigh options.:)

Archived