Chacchoben or Kohunlich?

Victorian

We are going to Costa Maya and Cozumel on our November cruise. We would like to tour some ruins. I think we have ruled out the Tulum ruins in Cozumel (TA said they are looking a bit overvisited), so that leaves Chacchoben or Kohunlich in Costa Maya. Can someone tell me which is more impressive and why?

Does one tour have interesting stops along the way?

Since the Chacchoben tour is 4 hours (vs the 7 hour Kohunlich) is it preferable as it allows more exploring in the Costa Maya area, or is the Kohunlich worth the extra travel time because you see more stuff?

We don't want to spend our day on the bus, so does one of the tours allow for more time visiting the ruins?

Is either tour over dangerous roads?

I appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Victorian,

I can only speak about the Chacchoben ruins as we went there on August 3rd of this year. We took a 12 passenger van that we booked right at the pier at the tourist village. It was $45 per person and they gave us a 2 for 1 on the kids (ages 10 & 8). It is an hour ride from the pier to the ruins.

Once at the ruins, there is a small "gift shop" and admission post. Our admission was already included. Our group paid an additional $4.00 per person to hire a local tour guide. (We could have walked around on our own, but then we would have learned absolutely nothing.) The guide was fantastic! He was very infomative of the ruins, the history of the ruins and all the plant life around the ruins. That was money well spent.

At that time, we were the only tour group at the ruins. The big buses from the ships had been and left already. We truly enjoyed this as it felt like we were discovering it on our own!

We were at the ruins for a little more than an hour. We were able to get a drink at the "gift shop" and then get back on the van for the hour ride back to the ship. We were given the option of being dropped at the pier or at Majahaul. We went to town for a few minutes and were not overly impressed. The beach is very small and it was already crowded. So we hopped in a cab to go back to the pier. Had lunch at Johnny Rockets and then went back to the shopping village at the end of the pier.

Because we had our kids with us, we did not want to do a day long tour. Once you get out of the Costa Maya shopping area, there is absolutely nothing to see.

Be advised that out on the main highway, there is a check point with Mexican Police. They stop every vehicle and have everyone get out. They inspect the vehicle for drugs. It is perfectly safe and they are pleasant. It's just a little undaunting to have police with machine guns standing there.

Overall, we truly enjoyed it and would consider the other ruins if we get a chance to go back.

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Enjoy!

Leigh

Archived