Grand Cayman - Eden Rock or Sunset House?

Grits53

My DH and I have limited snorkel experience, but we're hooked. Last year, we snorkeled with a cruise excursion off Punta Sur in Cozumel. This turned out to be over a mile of swimming/snorkeling, but we hung in there with the younger set and did fine. We'd definitely want to use snorkel vests, though. We want to see some colorful fish and reefs and hopefully something "different", like a nurse shark, eel, turtle, or stingray, without being elbow to elbow with other snorkelers like we were on the excursion. And we don't want to feel like we're working hard at this, if you catch my drift. We'd like to go at our own slow pace, and not have to go terribly far from shore. We've bought our own masks but will have to rent fins and vests. We'll be cruising the first week of Sept. Given this info, which would you recommend, Eden Rock or Sunset House? Or somewhere else? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

There's a mix of opinions on this board between the two (there's a thread just about 1/2 page down). I prefer Sunset House, the reef is less crowded than Eden Rock but requires a quick taxi to get there. They also have a full dive shop and rent gear and have lockers while you're in the water and they have a great bar on the ocean for afterwards. Taxi's are usually out front or the dive center can call you one. Check out their website at www.sunsethouse.com. The dive center's pages have all the info you need on rental, shore diving (snorkeling) and it shows their ladder into the water. Also if you still want some help, you can contact the dive center and they can get you a snorkle guide for a price.

Randall

Hi,

There's a mix of opinions on this board between the two (there's a thread just about 1/2 page down). I prefer Sunset House, the reef is less crowded than Eden Rock but requires a quick taxi to get there. They also have a full dive shop and rent gear and have lockers while you're in the water and they have a great bar on the ocean for afterwards. Taxi's are usually out front or the dive center can call you one. Check out their website at www.sunsethouse.com. The dive center's pages have all the info you need on rental, shore diving (snorkeling) and it shows their ladder into the water. Also if you still want some help, you can contact the dive center and they can get you a snorkle guide for a price.

Randall

Thank you, Randall. I did a search on this board for this info but couldn't find a comparison of the two spots. I went to the web sites for each place, also, but I didn't find the info I needed there. It seems that both places are geared for divers much more than snorkelers. I know people get tired of replying to the same questions, and I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. :) Can you tell me if the snorkeling (things to see without going a long distance away from shore) is better at Sunset House than Eden Rock, or about the same?

IMHO having dove both, altho Sunset hundreds of times more than Eden ... they are comparable. Both will be dependant on the day's conditions and what critters you run into.

I find Sunset preferable for one reason - there will be 10 people of Eden for every one at Sunset just because of the proximity to the main tender landings and downtown.

Yes both sites cater primarily to divers vs snorkelers ... but that applies to 90% of the marked Cayman Sites. Cayman is a top scuba vacation destination ... few make dedicated week long excursions for only snorkeling. (In other words the operators make more money selling SCUBA trips and equipment rentals)

@ Both sites you may find yourself in a bit deeper water than you'd typically snorkel in. But if the conditions are good the vis is fantastic.

In addition to what's been said about Sunset, particularly the ladder for entry - check out their site and you'll also see a natural pool cut into the iron-shore which is a very good place for a novice to gear up and get comfortable b4 venturing onto the ref

and then as noted there's "My Bar" for a libation after ....

My large # of times on Sunset is based on many a weeklong dive trip to Sunset House however - not a "this chunk of reef is that much better". When staying at Sunset I typically do at least one shore dive a day there (a great place for a nite dive). And I'd go on to say that I seldom worry about 'this site' over 'that site' cuz so long as there's living reef. I prefer a place where my buddy and I can dive w/out tripping over a lot of other people in the process and often we'll find a place and sit quietly and see what comes out to see US.... IMHO that too gives a slight edge to Sunset as the fewer folks tends to make it less trampled . atho Eden has held up very very well. Lastly, the area of reef that encompases Eden and Sunset is actually nearly continuous along the coast from one to the other, and beyond Sunset to the point. Eden and Sunset are two well know operations along that part of the coast...but by no means the only ones. They are very friendly to 'outsiders' using their entry points. There are other places and nearly all afford a decent chunk of reef and the possibility of a noteworth critter find.

Thank you, Capt. BJ! I think we will go to Sunset House, because I like the fact that there will probably be fewer people there. Although we enjoyed snorkeling on the cruiseline excursion, our two complaints were being rushed by the guides and being elbow to elbow with people. I felt that I missed a lot, because I was worried about keeping up with the group. I find it very appealing to be able to just float around and wait for something to come our way, as you said. Thanks again! :)

Thank you, Capt. BJ! I think we will go to Sunset House, because I like the fact that there will probably be fewer people there. Although we enjoyed snorkeling on the cruiseline excursion, our two complaints were being rushed by the guides and being elbow to elbow with people. I felt that I missed a lot, because I was worried about keeping up with the group. I find it very appealing to be able to just float around and wait for something to come our way, as you said. Thanks again! :)

My humble pleasure to be of service ... should you decide to have a libation @ My Bar, tip your glass to me ..... I enjoy the conch fritters!

Thanks for the information already posted here concerning Eden Rock and other snorkel locations. My wife and I will be in Grand Cayman next week (4 June 2007) on the Carnival Inspiration. Looking at the map of snorkel sites, I am interested in snorkeling Eden Rock and then going back up and snorkeling the Cali Wreck, Gamma Wreck and Cheeseburger Reef. We will only be in Grand Cayman for about 7 hours and I would like to pack in as much water time as possible. It this itenerary a possibilty in a 4-5 hour span and is it walkable? Are than any of these listed that are a "must see" as opposed to a "ho-hum"? Also my wife and I have only snorkeled Cozumel and Orient Beach in St. Martin, which were pretty shallow water dives. How much harder is the snorkeling at these deeper water locations?

A long post for which I apologize. Thanks.

Hi, I'd recommend the Sting Ray City tour with Dexter Eubanks. Actually he doesn't go to the "official" Sting Ray City, but to a nearby location with a bit more shallow water, then to a an "aquarium" that is heavenly. His group was small, and we never felt crowded or regimented. It's been a few years, but I highy recommend him. Also, everyone should experience the sting rays at least once. Otherwise, I wouldn't limit your snorkel options to dive shop locations. There are lots of wade-in snorkeling locations on Grand Cayman. have fun, Mary Sue

Thanks for the information already posted here concerning Eden Rock and other snorkel locations. My wife and I will be in Grand Cayman next week (4 June 2007) on the Carnival Inspiration. Looking at the map of snorkel sites, I am interested in snorkeling Eden Rock and then going back up and snorkeling the Cali Wreck, Gamma Wreck and Cheeseburger Reef. We will only be in Grand Cayman for about 7 hours and I would like to pack in as much water time as possible. It this itenerary a possibilty in a 4-5 hour span and is it walkable? Are than any of these listed that are a "must see" as opposed to a "ho-hum"? Also my wife and I have only snorkeled Cozumel and Orient Beach in St. Martin, which were pretty shallow water dives. How much harder is the snorkeling at these deeper water locations?

A long post for which I apologize. Thanks.

Hi James,

I've only done Cali Wreck out of the three but wasn't impressed. It's pretty much flattened so it looks like a stack of steel plates covering the reef. Much nicer to see the reef intact. As far as deeper water, if the ocean's calm, which it normally is in GC, then there's no difference between shallow and deep snorkeling (except how far away the fish are). The good news is GC usually has 80-100 feet of visibility (how deep you can see based on clarity of the water) and you won't be snorkeling in more than 20 ft so you should be able to see everything on the reef. Also as the last poster replied, you shouldn't miss stingray city. It's unique in the Caribbean and my wife calls them the "puppies of the sea". They're soft as silk underneath and nothing compares to having one of these 3 foot creatures willing to have you hold them in your arms (you hold your arms straight out just below the water, hands down, and the snorkel master will find a willing ray and slide it onto your arms where you two can stare at each other for a few moments until it gets bored and starts to "flap" which you then just drop your arms and it swims away). BTW, the stingrays are wild. They have no underwater pins and the rays come because they want the squid which you'll get to feed to them.

Hi,

Of course as soon as I reply my July Caribbean Travel & Life magazine shows up with the 29 best sites in the Cayman Islands article. It states:

Authorities have designated nearly the entire west coast as marine parks or replenishment zones. Most of the large hotels and dive shops line Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman's hub for water sports. With some exceptions - like the Wreck of the Cali, a 220-foot ship in 20 feet of water off Hammerhead's restaurant; Cheeseburger Reef, or the Wreck of the Gamma; and Eden Rock, an easy swim with concentrations of tarpon - these spots are glorified shallow dives, where the best stuff lies 40 to 50 feet below.

At Smith Cove, a park and small beach two miles south of George Town, there are tarpon to the north; you'll find elk horn and a big, fish-friendly coral head to the south. Mind the rubble below for stonefish.

Not lot of information but a magazine's opinion on snorkel spots.

Randall

Hi,

Of course as soon as I reply my July Caribbean Travel & Life magazine shows up with the 29 best sites in the Cayman Islands article. It states:

Authorities have designated nearly the entire west coast as marine parks or replenishment zones. Most of the large hotels and dive shops line Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman's hub for water sports. With some exceptions - like the Wreck of the Cali, a 220-foot ship in 20 feet of water off Hammerhead's restaurant; Cheeseburger Reef, or the Wreck of the Gamma; and Eden Rock, an easy swim with concentrations of tarpon - these spots are glorified shallow dives, where the best stuff lies 40 to 50 feet below.

At Smith Cove, a park and small beach two miles south of George Town, there are tarpon to the north; you'll find elk horn and a big, fish-friendly coral head to the south. Mind the rubble below for stonefish.

Not lot of information but a magazine's opinion on snorkel spots.

Randall

Thank you, Randall. I appreciate your taking the time to type all that out.

For those who say not to miss the stingrays, I totally agree! (Note my avatar.) We love the stingrays! However, we've played with the stingrays twice now and wanted to see something different this time around.

We did two shore dives from Eden Rock and quite enjoyed it. They were an easy walk from the ship and we were able to stop and browse through a few shops on our way back. Although we did diving, there were also two couples there snorkeling, which they seemed to enjoy. The both said they saw some interesting stuff. There is a ladder for easy entry and the water was calm and clear. Also, the staff at Eden Rock did seem to be keeping an eye out and checking every once in awhile to make sure that everyone out there was okay. There were a few ships in port the day we went and we really only saw a few people snorkeling at Eden Rock, so I don't think the cruise ship excursions went there. Hope this helps someone out there!

Archived