RCL vs HAL

killer32

My partner and I want to cruise June 2008 with the moms. Looking at an east coast cruise into Canada.

So one option is RCL Grandeur of the Seas or HAL Maasdam.

Anyone been on either? Any input?

Another option is Bermuda- any input there?

Thanks!

I have been on a sister to Grandeur (Vision) and they are a fine class of ship, although of course showing their age in this world of new ships every month. HAL offers the more luxurious experience - much finer dining, much more selective service. RCI is all about the active cruise, although I have never found trouble finding a quiet place to relax. Having experienced HAL on the Westerdam with RSVP, I remember that I kept thinking "I would not want to be on this ship during a regular cruise - BORING" .... Unlike Celebrity, which also caters to an older crowd, but still retains an air of "hipness" - HAL truly is an older product. Your moms may love it, you may be bored to tears. I would chose RCI, because the Grandeur itinerary will attract a slightly older crowd, but you still have lots of activity choices for you.

Matt, I hate to say this but we are truly two different types of people. First the QE2 discussion and now this. I would have voted for HAL without thinking twice.

I think it again comes down to what the individual is looking for. So I agree with Matt in that if activities of a youthful variety (read: all those new fangled RCI additions such as rock climbing and figure skating) then do stick with RCI. If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing and classic cruise then you will appreciate the refinements of HAL.

I'm not knocking RCI as I am sure they deliver a wonderful product for their customer base. However, I am likely the oldest 42 year old around. My partner and I sailed with HAL in 2005 after an 11 year absense and immediately fell in love with cruising - something we never did on our first voyage.

So that is why there are different lines. RCI for people like Matt and HAL and Cunard for people like me.

Also, the Maasdam is one of the few ships to do an itenerary into Montreal.

David

Thanks for input.

I am an old 39 year old also and my partner has a high stress job so she likes to really slow down on vacation.

Also we were not overly excited about not having any surcharge eating options on RCL (or at least this boat)

So looks like HAL wins.

Well David - remember that you have yet to sail QE2, so who knows, you might agree with me more afterwards :)

Not that it applies to this particular question - but I really do think if you're an "older" middle ager, and hey, I'm about to be 44 - you could sail Celebrity and get the best of both worlds: excellent service, food on par with HAL, but also a bit of youthfullness (without the rock walls).

But for this post: the Grandeur, on a Canadian itinerary will not be your typical RCI cruise. It will attract an older more sedate crowd, and that class of ships barely has a rock wall...:) RCI really only goes wild and crazy in the Caribbean. But David makes a good point... I could handle the less exciting ship and the probably 20+ years older average age for a stop in Montreal....

I have been on both ships.......liked them both.

Some thoughts:

1. Maasdam is more intimate

2. Grandeur more life

3. Grandeur more energy in the dinning room without being Carnival tacky

4. Maasdam lido far superior

5. Grandeur having a greater selection of entertainment in the evening.

The biggy........for the Moms...the Maasdam has a covered pool. Since you will not be in the Caribbean......having a covered pool (magrodome) could be a big plus in Canada should you hit a rainy period.

Both ships will have less party people due to the itinerary....HAL more quiet, again RCI more festive without being tackey.

Maasdam might eb agood choice for 4 ladies on holiday to relax, and do their own thing.

Bon Voyage.

By the way Matt...you had a typo in your post...you are still only 34, not 44. Dont challenge me on this...respect your elders.

Archived