Review of Hacienda Jeep Expedition

I loved this tour!! Once getting off the ship we were given an explanation of what we would be doing then, we were taken to the jeeps. I was very proud of my husband for doing so well with a stick shift. I was pretty nervous before we started that he would be killing the engine with every stop! First, we drove through parts of town where on 1 sideof the street where beautiful summer homes and the other side of the street were shacks. Then, we went on the highway for a while before getting off into town. More shacks with people and children standing in the yards waving. I felt like we were in a parade. Our first stop was at a town square were there was an old Catholic Church. Our leader gave a brief talk on the area and the church and we were given time to wonder around the church for a while. It was very old. There were two men outside selling hammocks and hand made hats. We bought a chair-hammock. It is beautiful. I wanted my son to get a hat (only $5), but he said he would never wear it. We got back in the jeeps and went to a restored hacienda. The road back to this place was 1lane and pretty fun. The hacienda was awesome. The colors and tile work were very impressive. The tour was nice, then we were given time to explore on our own. We were given drinks (water, coke) and a homemade mexican snack. Some tightly rolled tortilla with cheese on top and more tortillas with fresh salsa. It was very good. There is also a small gift area. There is a swimming pool to get in if you want. Only 3 people from our group got in. In the back yard there were some caged animals. Not sure what some of them were. One was an alligator, and some chickens were in another cage. Back in the jeeps with a short stop at a store by the beach before heading back to the pier.

I really enjoyed this tour. There isn't much "off-roading" per say, but it is still very fun, especially if you haven't done anything like this before (which I had not). Our stops were very enjoyable, and seeing how the people of this town lived was an eyeopener. I would certainly reccomend this tour.

Michelle

One town was Progreso, of course. I'm not sure if all the little villages we passed were considered Progreso or not??? I'm not sure of the name of the hacienda either ~ sorry. I think the guide named the family that owned it, but I don't recall. It was certainly beautiful!

Michelle

We just got back from the 8/8-15 Elation cruise. A couple from OK told us they hated their jeeping excursion. She was very disappointed and upset. I believe there are a couple of new excursions added by Carnival and their experience was on one of them. She said bathrooms were basically behinds bushes on the trail. It was very rough driving and they were not at all impressed with the scenery, the drive, the accomodations or the guide. Just wanted to add a bit of perspective. Naturally since we didn't take this drive, can't say so personally but overheard several returning on the pier that were disappointed and planned to inform the cruise director.

Archived