Best Folding Portable Scooters

swissmax

I would like to buy a folding scooter suitable for easy use with airlines and cruise ships. I have seen ads for Caddy folding scooter, Lexis light, Easy Light, etc. Any comments on the pros & cons of each or others would be appreciated.

We are looking for the same thing. We currently have a No Boundaries Travel Lite, which doesn't fold. It also doesn't fit in the trunk of my Avalon, even broken down (too tall). It's also 24" wide, too wide for a standard cabin door. It's been fine for US travel in a handicapped room, but I know it won't work for European travel since it's so bulky. No Boundaries also has a portable foldup (http://www.nbweb.com/flxl.htm), the Featherlite.

We are looking at the Lexus Light, which looks the most portable of any we have seen. It's also only 22" wide, which may have a chance of getting into a standard room. Wish there was a place nearby where we could try one out.

No Boundaries also has a portable (http://www.nbweb.com/flxl.htm), the Featherlite. The Lexus Light is narrower than the others, so for us it has an edge. Hopefully someone who has one of these will weigh in on the topic.

Kate

www.spinlife.com has an outstanding selection of scooters. I purchased a Golden Technologies 4 wheel scooter from them for $995, no sales tax, no shipping. A store near me had the same one for $1700 plus tax. My wife and I cruise twice a year and the only way I can navigate a ship is with a scooter. Gold. tech makes a very good quality scooter. Hope this helped you.

Glenn:cool:

I have an Easy Travel Elite folding scooter. Had it about 2 yrs now and am still very pleased with it. Been on only 1 cruise with it so far, but my wife and & travel frequently (whether flying or driving) and it has never let me down. Recommended top weight for driver is 250lbs ( which I exceed by about 20), total scooter weight only 66lbs, battery is dry cell airline approved, breaks down into 3pcs, heaviest piece being about 22lbs. I think it is great.

• 2 weeks later...

We take the No Boundries Featherlite Deluxe with us for my wife. She can walk short distances but could never get from one end of ship to other. It is fine on board the ship but we usually take her wheel chair for shore excursions (easier to deal with curbs etc since she can get out of WC and do the curb ... tough to handle with Featherlite). We do take the FL ashore when we know the city streets are HC friendly (Barcelona was great). I fold the FL in hall and roll it in the room at night. Frequently we can arrange with room steward to leave it in hall during the day.

http://www.nbweb.com/flxl.htm

Hello,

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus which is new this year. It does not fold, but is quite small and comes apart into 5 easy pieces with no wires or plugs. It weighs 88 lbs plus batteries. The rated weight is 300 lbs. The 17AH hour batteries have not even run down yet, and I've just come back from my 3rd airline trip with it. They didn't have to take it apart, and I could ride it to the gate. We put it in the trunk of taxis in Toronto, rented a mini van and put it in the back in Tennessee, put it in the trunk of our American sedan, and my DH got it in the back of an SUV without disassembly. We had it on a ship and in hotels in non accessible rooms and had no trouble getting through the doors..........it is 21.5 inches wide. It is quick, though I am lighter than the rated weight, and I have driven it several miles outdoors with no lessening of speed. It is 40 inches long for those that don't bend very well, and has an oval control area with easy finger pressure levers for forward and back. My previous scooter was/is a Golden Companion II and this scooter is amazing next to that.............not QUITE as comfortable seat, and no backup signal as the Golden has, but wonderfully agile compared to that.

My wife bought her 2nd Featherlite 2 years ago and has been very pleased. We took it to Europe 3 times last year and also on a cruise to Mexico the year before. It's been great, better than her first one because: 1. the battery is larger so you don't have to recharge as often; and (2) it has a larger front wheel which gets over small steps and makes mincemeat of most European cobblestones -- even Rome was no problem most of the time. It is a little heavier than her first model (the batter weighs an additional 7 pounds) so the total weight is about 70 lb. Very manageable for 2 people. And in a pinch it comes apart. That 70 lb is including the battery.

I have a pride go-go and it works great for me. It has only been on one cruise so far but I am planning another for Sept. The scooter breaks down into 4 parts and in total weighs about 70 lbs. The battery is good for about 10-12 hours. The scooter will fit in the trunk of my mid sized car without breaking down, I just have to remove the seat and lower the handle bar. It is narrow and would fit into a regular cabin on carnival, but it would be difficult to turn around once in the cabin, so you might consider a HC cabin no matter what scooter you choose. Hope this helps

Hi, I also have a Pride Go-Go and have been in regular cabins on RCI Navigator, NCL Spirit and Caribbean Princess so far. The scooter has fit through the standard door just fine on all of them but on NCL and Princess it was best if I backed into the room. (because of lack of turnaround room). That was a little tricky at first, but like everything else, a bit of practice makes perfect. :D

On the Navigator, I could go into the room facing forward and then turn around to be ready to go back out. That room had the most space to park the scooter of any cruise I've been on.

The room on the NCL Spirit was the smallest and had the least amount of space for the scooter, but we managed in spite of that. On the Caribbean Princess the scooter stored at night in the closet under our clothing very nicely and was never in the way.

I don't know if there is a difference or not, but we have had balcony rooms on all our cruises so far.

Happy Cruising,

IrisF

Archived