Money Saving Tips in Kaui

moosetracks17

I'm going to be in Kaui for a few days before our NCL cruise. I want to do some sight seeing and activities but I want to save my money for the cruise.

Any tips on places to eat, things to do/see, cab companies, etc?

Please- Im open for any ideas! thanks much!

I'm going to be in Kaui for a few days before our NCL cruise. I want to do some sight seeing and activities but I want to save my money for the cruise.

Any tips on places to eat, things to do/see, cab companies, etc?

Please- Im open for any ideas! thanks much!

I would think it's cheaper to rent a car than take cabs. If you want tips on places to eat, let us know where you're staying. As for things to do, there are many, many suggestions on this board.

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency. I suppose I'm looking for cheap, but good places to eat or go visit that wouldnt require me to rent a car. Is there anything within walking distance? Maybe a bicycle rental company or snorkeling place. My googling skills arent the greatest today :(

Hyatt Regency 200 Nohea Kai Drive.

Ill keep looking on the boards in the mean time. thanks!:D

Aloha. You need to retitle your thread (or make a correction or new thread). The Hyatt Regency you're referring to is on Maui, not Kauai. I read your thread and assumed that you were talking about Kauai (simply using a common misspelling). It's an important distinction.

First, you will need transportation across the island from Kahului to Ka'anapali, where the Hyatt is located. (I know the address says Lahaina, but the physical location of the Hyatt is on Ka'anapali beach.) It's about an hour from the airport, so a taxi ride is rather expensive. There are some commercial shuttles, but I don't have information for you. You might want to look into Robert's Hawaii for cross-island transportation. There is an excellent public bus system, but you won't be able to bring your luggage on it. It will be good for getting around though. Here's the bus website (with a link to Robert's Hawaii):

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/

As for what's close to the Hyatt. You are on the south end of Ka'anapali beach. There is a beachwalk that runs most of the length of the beach, so you can walk anywhere along it that you like. There are about 10 resorts along the beach. Good snorkeling is at Black Rock in front of the Sheraton at the northern end. Cheap eats are probably best found at the food court in Whaler's Village, which is a shopping/dining center accessible from the beachwalk. Trilogy has at least one kiosk on Ka'anapali which rents snorkel and other beach gear. I don't know of any bicycle rental companies. There's a $1 or $2 shuttle that runs daily between Ka'anapali and Lahaina. Lahaina is a fun little town for walking, wandering, and so forth. The banyon tree at the courthouse square is a must see. The harbor there is small, but there are several companies which have boat trips of various types. Some are expensive; others are reasonable. The America's II does sailings (real sailings). A couple of those are pretty inexpensive, and it's fun. Also, there are some often overlooked historical sites in Lahaina. For eating there, try the off-the-beaten-path places like Cafe Pesto on Dickenson. There are several casual eateries around the Lahaina Center and Old Lahaina Center (down off Front St. on either side of Papalaua). Foodland has a good deli too. The cheapest (and best) plate lunches are at Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina up by the Old Lahaina Luau and across from the Lahaina Cannery Mall (which also has some "food court" type places). Aloha Mixed Plate offers Happy Hour in the afternoon for various beer and drinks, plus you can customize your plate with as little or as much as you want. It's very casual outdoors at picnic type tables.

The Hyatt itself has good facilities, so you'll probably want to spend some time just enjoying yourself there.

Be sure to pick up This Week Maui and Maui Gold at the airport because they have coupons and discounts, as well as information about what's going on while you're there.

Any other travel around the island really requires a commercial tour or renting a car because taxi costs would add up very fast.

Hope that helps give you some ideas.

beachchick

Archived