Oceana,Canaries, Sept......how windy??

loobylouuk

Hi has anyone done the Canaries in mid Sept?

If so could you give me an idea of what the weather was like please

Cruising is windy at the best of times and i've heard that the canaries are VERY bad.

Also do you know if Oceana has a pool with a roof?

Oh and if there seemed to be many kids on board!

Many thanks

Lou

Sorry, can't be specific about wind in the Canaries, other than, yes it is known to be sometimes quite bracing there.

Oceana does not have a covered pool in the sense of a moving magrodome.

The aft pool is partially and permanently sheltered by a "tented canopy" sort of affair.

During the school holidays Oceana is VERY popular with families. We were last on her in July 2006, when there were 350+ of the young of the species on board!

Sorry, can't be specific about wind in the Canaries, other than, yes it is known to be sometimes quite bracing there.

Oceana does not have a covered pool in the sense of a moving magrodome.

The aft pool is partially and permanently sheltered by a "tented canopy" sort of affair.

During the school holidays Oceana is VERY popular with families. We were last on her in July 2006, when there were 350+ of the young of the species on board!

Gosh 350 children!

I Have 2 myself but might be put off going with that many on board.

I see you live in Hants......me too, where abouts are you?

Lou

Hi has anyone done the Canaries in mid Sept?

If so could you give me an idea of what the weather was like please

Cruising is windy at the best of times and i've heard that the canaries are VERY bad.

Also do you know if Oceana has a pool with a roof?

Oh and if there seemed to be many kids on board!

Many thanks

Lou

We have been to the Canaries in August and in January and have not noticed any wind!

When we have been on cruises in the holidays we have rarely seen children as there is so much for them to do in other parts of the ship.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

In mid-Sept children are starting their first weeks of a new school year.

I would of thought most decent families would not want to let their off spring miss those important weeks when children make new friends, esp when starting a new infant/junior or senior school. You should be ok?

Of course there may be some young families on with under 5's??

I have some photos of my Canaries cruise if you would like to see them - inc photos of Maderia, Lisbon, and islands on www.sveale.photosite.com but this was on Arcadia.

Sue

Any questions on ports fire away!

In mid-Sept children are starting their first weeks of a new school year.

I would of thought most decent families would not want to let their off spring miss those important weeks when children make new friends, esp when starting a new infant/junior or senior school. You should be ok?

Of course there may be some young families on with under 5's??

I have some photos of my Canaries cruise if you would like to see them - inc photos of Maderia, Lisbon, and islands on www.sveale.photosite.com but this was on Arcadia.

Sue

Any questions on ports fire away!

Were you brave enough to do the tobbogan in Maderia?

Were you brave enough to do the tobbogan in Maderia?

We did the tobbogan last year. We weren't on a trip, but did it by ourselves. We went up in the cable car (brilliant), went round the gardens and then came down by toboggan. Quite scary, but the worst thing was they don't take you right down to the bottom, but mid way and you (or we did anyway) have to walk the rest of the way. Did get some of their lovely custard tarts on the way back thought

Yes, I have heard it is quite a steep climb down to the port after the cable car ride, hard going if you are elderly or disabled.

Lisbon has fantastic LISBON TARTS ; very deep filled custard tarts with flakey pastry (not shortcrust like ours) only 80c - about 50p, fan bloomin tastic with a nice strong coffee late morning.

Sue

Hi

We did the Canaries last November on Aurora. It started blowing a bit when we got to Madeira and we had three days of choppy seas back to Southampton.

Don't be put off doing the toboggan ride. We did it and I think we had the most laid back fellow on the back,as he was on his mobile phone most of the way down. The ride was quite wonderful and this is from someone who chickened out of going on the cable car.

cabinboy1943

Hi

We did the Canaries last November on Aurora. It started blowing a bit when we got to Madeira and we had three days of choppy seas back to Southampton.

Don't be put off doing the toboggan ride. We did it and I think we had the most laid back fellow on the back,as he was on his mobile phone most of the way down. The ride was quite wonderful and this is from someone who chickened out of going on the cable car.

cabinboy1943

Now choppy on the way home is due to BoB:rolleyes:, nice fella but does get grumpy at times.:D

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

In a word............nope!!!

Looked a bit dangerous to me, did a risk assessment and decided the cablecar back down was the safer option!

Did you look at my photos?

Sue

I did thanks Sue, they really bought those green eyed feelings!

We're holding out booking this year as hubby is having an op which we are not sure how its going to go.

I've been uming and aring about a cruise /land holiday and seeing your photos has evoked those fab memories and i really want to book now!

Are most of the ports do able on your own?

And what about La Palma is it ok?...what to do?

Lou

In La PALMA we did the Wine and Countryside tour for 1/2 a day

The photos of me 'above the white clouds' was taken at La Palma on the tour, and the one stood in front of Arcadia with the very blue sky and sea.There were lots of volcanic mountain ash every where , and it was quite interesting.

I would say, do the afternoon tour, as we did the morning one, and ended up at the wine lodge at about 10.30am for a lovely spread of food and wine, but most people had recently had their 'pando' breakfast and were too full to enjoy it ! , Also we got back to the ship at 1pm ish, and the town was shut for siesta!! so we ended up going back onboard and sunbathing on deck.

It would be better to go into town in the morning to see the shops and sites, then do this tour in the afternoon while shops are shut!

Sue

Do you use Bath Travel, High Street, Andover?

Over the next few decades, as the effects of global warming kick-in, I see the ships being able to come up the Test and tie up at the St Mary Bourne Viaduct, which will be very handy for us and will mean only a short taxi ride for you.

You can read my "Looking Back" column in the Andover Advertiser and reveal my identity!

Hi diaB

We have met bob :rolleyes: on more than one occasion. He does seem to be a bit moody at times.

I remember a year or two ago when we came across him in the Bay on the way down to the Med. The Captain said that things were a little frolicsome and we were hitting the odd pothole here and there. Wonderful descriptive phrase.

Friday 31st Oct 2003 he must have been well out of sorts. We were on board Adonia under Captain Rory Smith when we ran into heavy showers and a force 10 gale in the Med. We were hove to for a time. I found it most interesting, my wife did not. Having said that I am terrified of flying and having done it once, would never do it again, coward that I am:eek:

Cabinboy1943

Do you use Bath Travel, High Street, Andover?

Over the next few decades, as the effects of global warming kick-in, I see the ships being able to come up the Test and tie up at the St Mary Bourne Viaduct, which will be very handy for us and will mean only a short taxi ride for you.

You can read my "Looking Back" column in the Andover Advertiser and reveal my identity!

I did use Bath travel for one of my cruises but i am using an internet based firm (in camberly) for my next 2 cruises as they are a lot cheaper.

If the ships could pick up from the river anton i'd be closer!!

Yes Derek i have sussed you!

I've read you're column from one hundred and and twenty five years ago and am worried that you might be remembering it!!!...............lol:D

Small world

Lou

In La PALMA we did the Wine and Countryside tour for 1/2 a day

The photos of me 'above the white clouds' was taken at La Palma on the tour, and the one stood in front of Arcadia with the very blue sky and sea.There were lots of volcanic mountain ash every where , and it was quite interesting.

I would say, do the afternoon tour, as we did the morning one, and ended up at the wine lodge at about 10.30am for a lovely spread of food and wine, but most people had recently had their 'pando' breakfast and were too full to enjoy it ! , Also we got back to the ship at 1pm ish, and the town was shut for siesta!! so we ended up going back onboard and sunbathing on deck.

It would be better to go into town in the morning to see the shops and sites, then do this tour in the afternoon while shops are shut!

Sue

Hi Sue and Lou,

Just to combine two threads, when we did this trip in the morning we did not get up early enough for breakfast of any kind so we enjoyed the Canaries fare. If I remember small salt and garlic potatoes, pork, cheese, bread, and wine oh yes and bananas, everywhere there were bananas:)

On each of the 4 islands we were at we did the short tour and each had a visit to a wine tasting, Lanzarote was the worst and GC probably the best.

:)Happy cruising:)

Dai

Archived