???'s about doing adolphin excursion handicapped

DH and I are taking my brother and sister in law on their first cruise this year. We are going to do the western Caribbean on the Valor. My brother is older and a diabetic and because of his diabetes, he has problems with his feet and trouble walking and standing at times unless on a very stable surface.

He really wants to do the dolphin encounter/swim, the one were you are in the water with the dolphins but he has some reservations and concerns. The info on this excursion says you must be able to be in waist deep water.

My questions are:

Is the water torrent as in moving around a lot?

Has anybody with a disability done this excursion and if so, how was it?

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would hate for him to miss this wonderful experience. Does he swim? Does he feel the same when he is in the water. We were wearing life jackets when we were in the tank. In some places they have an area of the sea cordoned off for the dolphins while others are in a huge tank. The tank is very calm but one never knows in the sea.

I strongly suggest that you contact the dolphin park directly if possible and ask about the possibility of his being able to enjoy the swim. I know that some places advertise how wonderful the experience is for people with certain disabilities. I think that you can have a better chance of success in that way.

Fran

I just did the Dolphin swim at Chankanaab Park, Cozumel in April. We had to stand on a metal gride for most of the time with the exception of when it was your turn to swim with the Dolphin or hold the Dolphin. It was an incredible experience. We did wear lifevest and they have people to help you. I am 62 and I don't feel safe in water and I must say getting close to the edge of the metal grid to pet and kiss the Dolphin made me a little nervous, but all went well. The water is calm and one of the guides pulled me out into the water to do my swim and stayed with me. I think the whole experience took about 45 min to an hour, which could be a long time for someone with disabilities. I would check in with the Dolphin people and see if they have any suggestions. I booked my swim throught the internet with the group in Cozumel, it was cheaper than with the ship.

Hope this helps.

Karen

This is a picture taken from the edge of the swim area. I wish I had a better picture to show you, but it is a big area! From the edge of the enclosure where I was standing there was probably 20' of walkway behind me. There are tables with umbrellas and a pool, as well as a snack bar. The park also offers free lockers. We were there in April and it got quite hot while we waited; you may want to consider a clip on umbrella for the chair in case shade is not easily accessible. They videotape the entire swim, then have a presentation to show immediately afterwards. We had to go upstairs into an air conditioned room for that and I do not remember if they had an elevator or not . I hope you have a wonderful time!

2670940100064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived