Is snorkeling equipment cleaned (2nd try)

Linda-

Unlikely. If you're worried enough about it to ask, then the method (if any) is probably not going to be up to your standard. Some operations swear they sanitize, others dip in salt water or bleach/alcohol solutions, and others do absolutely nothing.

That being said, I've been diving and snorkeling for about 25 years, and have never encountered anyone getting any sort of a loathsome disease from previously used snorkels or masks.

I would advise you to go to your local dive shop, and get fitted for a mask and snorkel. That way, you will have properly fitted gear, and others won't get the chance to spit on it.

If you don't want to buy and bring your own snorkel gear, then take a little bottle of Purell with you to rub on the snorkel mouthpiece. I hear it tastes quite nasty, though.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

The last time we snorkeled, we observed them toss the masks and snorkels into a big tub of water that definitely didn't smell of any disinfectant, when we turned them in. 4 days later, DH and I came down with the worst cold we've ever had. The timing of the cold could have been coincidental, but the fact that the mouth piece has been inside someone else's mouth shortly before I put it in mine was enough to send me shopping for my own snorkel gear. I mean, think about it. Would you eat with an unwashed fork that someone else had just used? I think not! And the mouth piece stays in your mouth a lot longer than a fork does.

Do you share a toothbrush?

I certainly wouldn't expect the gear to be anything more than just rinsed in plain or salt water. Would that be good enough for you?

And IF they rinse it, it's usually going to be in one nice big bucket of very warm, rarely changed, rinse water. Mmmmmm germy!

Mares, U.S. Divers, TUSA, Body Glove, Cressi Sub, Aeris... Ummm... There are tons of good manufacturers. I would recommend going to your local dive shop and trying some stuff out. A lot of shops have their own pool and will let you try the gear in the pool. You'll pay a little more than you would at a big box retailer, but you'll get better service in return.

Archived