Vancouver Cigar Shops

Wondering if there are any reputable and reasonable cigar shops in Vancouver... OK OK OK, I'm sure there are....

Looking for recommendations ;)

Thanks. I'm sure I'll visit some and prefer not to get gouged or purchase fakes.

I can't remember what it's called, but I'll be walking past it tomorrow on the way to work (I'll note the name) It's on Dunsmuir, in between Hornby and Howe. So from the Canada Place, walk up 4 blocks to Dunsmuir. They are very reputable.

Canada does not have the same embargo as the US, so you'll find Cuban cigars here. Just remember, you can buy them here, but you can't take them back to the States, so smoke 'em if you've get 'em!

I occasionally buy cigars for my DH

here are a couple

Vancouver Cigar Company

1093 Hamilton Street

Vancouver, B.C.

http://www.vancouvercigar.com/ca.html

Gassy Jack Cigars 108 Water St., Vancouver

Cigar Market

555 Dunsmuir Street

Vancouver

City Cigar Company (Not in the downtown core)

888 West 6th Avenue

Vancouver, BC

I would not expect the prices to be comparable to American. The Canadian Government imposes huge taxes on Cigars

If you are looking for a Cuban you will find many - but the Cubans pack a punch - so if you want something smoother than taking a Louisville Slugger to the mouth, try a Romeo and Julieta (Dominican, I think)

If you want Cubans, there is an ecxellent store, its name escapes me, on the south side of Robson St., just east of Burrard. The staff can give you good advice. For non-Cubans, buy in U.S., they're cheaper than in Canada.

Canada does not have the same embargo as the US, so you'll find Cuban cigars here. Just remember, you can buy them here, but you can't take them back to the States, so smoke 'em if you've get 'em!

A couple of years ago I took a friend from Atlanta to a cigar store on Robson St between Granville and Howe. He bought a few Cubans, and when the proprietor heard he was planning to take them home he offered to replace the Cuban bands with other non-Cuban bands. Might be worth asking. ;)

Taking the bands might not be necessary. We're boarding in Vancouver, and I'm assuming there is no customs search as we cruisetour Alaska.

As you board the ship you are entering the US from Canada, and will have to clear US Customs and Immigration, just as you would at an airport or road crossing. There is a possibility that you will be searched, but unlikely. In any event, it's not something I would do, because once you're in their system as a rogue, you're there forever and will be hassled every time you cross.

(Remember, I was only the host of the smuggler friend, not the smuggler, and I wasn't there when he showed up at customs.)

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... I guess I'll bring my own "legal in the US" cigars.

Probably won't hurt to check out the Vancouver shops and smoke a few the weekend pre-cruise. I can't imagine getting put into the system over a lousy cigar.

Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure to check out a few places at least.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't remember what it's called, but I'll be walking past it tomorrow on the way to work (I'll note the name) It's on Dunsmuir, in between Hornby and Howe. So from the Canada Place, walk up 4 blocks to Dunsmuir. They are very reputable.

Gassy Jacks? On the list :)

If you want Cubans, there is an ecxellent store, its name escapes me, on the south side of Robson St., just east of Burrard. The staff can give you good advice. For non-Cubans, buy in U.S., they're cheaper than in Canada.

Vancouver cigars???

Also on the list..... :)

• 4 weeks later...

For future cruisers...

I emailed all the shops with contact info, and got a nice list of leads, along with hours and lounges.

First stop...

Gassy Jacks. Guy in the back didn't get up or acknowlege that I entered the store. Took a few runs up and down the cases. Saw prices were high (but reasonable for CA), quality was low (perhaps clouded by being ignored) and walked out.

Ended up at Cigar Connoisseurs

101-12 Water Street

Rhonnie was thrilled to see me, and the GF and her dad. We chatted about lots of things, including but not limited to cigars. She suggested a few things after learing my preferences and I picked out 3 or 4 cigars, for around $100 total.

Made a point to hit the La Casa de Habano

402 Hornby St

Beautiful shop and lounge. Gentleman who helped was gracious and knowledgeable. Another 3 or 3 sticks, another $100. We chatted mostly about cigar related topics and then sports at the register. I sat in the louge and was offered a complementary cold or hot drink, as were the GF and her dad. Spent about 10 minutes chatting with a couple of other guys in there and then had to leave.

I absolutely recommend hitting the LCdH. If you are in Gas Town, see Rhonnie at CC too.

Archived