If you just returned from the Galaxy Mediterrean

tteettimes

Jtoniva- Hi to you too John. I'm so jealous that you are doing the Mediterranean again this summer. I wish we had been able to but DD is going off to college this fall and it just did not fit into our plans, but we are doing a 9 nt Caribbean cruise on Princess the end of June. Give my regards to Chris. Hopefully we'll cruise on the same ship again!

We are cruising on Galaxy on 8/3 with our 21 year old daughter (we are in our early 50's). I agree that you should not be deterred by age. That time of year will bring a younger crowd with more families due to colleges and schools being out but you always find people to share the fun with. On a good ship and cruise line like Celebrity you will be fine and enjoy.

We just returned from Galaxy 21-May-07 sailing. We had a great time, this was our 6th cruise but first time with Celebrity. The 11-night is a great itinerary but bery busy. Food was great, service was great, ship was OK.

My first caution would be do not book the Shopping in Istanbul and Asia shore excursion for Istanbul, at least not without knowing what you are getting into. We booked this tour and our excursion left at 1:45 pm.

We were taken to the Spice Bazaar and had about half an hour there, then next stop on the tour description is a 'refreshment break', which is in fact a stop at Storks a high-end jewellery store where they serve beverages while you shop. I certainly was not interested in shopping there, there were no bargains to be had, there was beautiful things but very expensive. One guy on our excursion called it the 'Tiffany's of Turkey'.

Next we were taken to a Turkish carpet shop (Not mentioned in the tour description), we stayed there for over an hour seeing a demonstration then letting people shop. Then we tried to go the the Grand bazaar, by then traffic was horrendous and the bus could hardly move, we finally got off the bus and walked the rest of the way to the grand bazaar, arriving one hour before they closed (there are 4000 shops there). Tour description had stated that we would have about 2.5 hours at the Grand Bazaar. Also, please note we did not go to Asia at all.

If I was doing it again I would purchase the shuttle bus tickets that the cruiseline offers at a cost of $10 per person, shuttle runs between the ship and the Grand Bazaar all day, you can go as many times as you like for the price. Once you arrive at the Grand bazaar it is possible to walk to the Blue Mosque and Aghia Sophia, if you like walking.

I hope this helps.

Some of my favorite things ---

Others have mentioned some of these already -- Santorini, cable car up, walk down definitely if you're able. Faster and you're outside in Greece! When up on the top and want to go to the beach, do head to the bus depot, maybe a 10 minute walk. Just ask, the kind local merchants will get you there. Many lovely beaches, my fave was Pirevolos. I think the city bus cost about €1.50 each way.

Mykonos -- again with the city bus, Paradise beach was far from paradise to me, loud, young, drunk. Suits some people well . . .

but I actually liked the beach that was close to the ship much better. If you're docked rather than tendered, it's about a 1.5 mile walk to quiet Stephanos beach to the left -- town is to the right. If you're tendered, there's an inexpensive bus to it.

If you're docked, you can take the shuttle to the town. There, my fave place for a Greek salad (~€6) and little metal pitcher of wine was at one of the first restaurants you encounter -- the one with the beached boat with octopi hanging in the sun for a photo op. (honestly, it is obvious) It's the only spot in town on the water's edge with a sunset for the taking, red and white checked table cloths, and then it's right by the shuttle back to the ship.

Rhodos. Ahhhh. Enjoy the little shops, but ask until you find the entrance to the moat. It's a beautiful green walk between towering walls. I marveled at the big, perfectly round stone balls littering the place.

Athens -- for sure take the excursion (or find one) to the Acropolis. Not much in the port, Piraeus.

Naples, definitely Pompeii if you haven't been. Capri was a bit commercial and expensive for my taste.

Istanbul . . . Eat some Turkish Delight for me. Best fun for me was walking the 2 miles to the spice bazaar. Easy walk, you get the flavor of the city, cross the bridge over the Bosphoros between Asia and Europe, no worries about traffic. There's a lovely mosque there, too, brought me to tears with its beauty. Mosques welcome guests in the back of the sanctuary, heads, shoulders and knees must be covered. That mosque (the "new" mosque 16th cent) had a box of skirts and scarves for guests.

I felt most comfortable in general there dressing more conservatively, no strappy sun tops or shorts for me, out of respect for the culture. I was an adult female walking alone and was treated kindly and respectfully every time I was there (5 times last summer).

Istanbul was also my fave internet spot. The Nargilem (smoking bazaar) had free wireless for the cost of apple tea or snacks (or smoking a hookah if you like) all on big, cushy pillows. Little piece of heaven, and right off the ship.

I don't think the itin goes up to Livorno or Cannes this year, not remembering -- But the train to Piza was easy and inexpensive, like under €5 round trip, and there was a city bus for €1 to the train station. Just ask at the information kiosk in the square where the ship shuttle leaves you.

Of course, plan at least a day to wander Rome and trip over the antiquities that are EVERYwhere. A guide book is useful, for sure. Lots of walking and so much to see there at no cost. Certain things, the Borgese museum and Vatican museum (inc Sistine chapel), plus the walk up to the top of the Basilica were well worth the cost to me.

That's what I'm remembering -- for some images,

users.clarkston.com/artdreams/rome.htm

or replace rome with /italy.htm

or /greece.htm /greece2.htm /istanbul.htm

enjoy your trip!

nancy

I was on the May 21 to June 1 Galaxy Eastern Med Cruise. We had been in Italy for 2 weeks last May so we decided we would just take a leisurely trip to Capri for the day. We took the 8:10 Hydrofoil from Naples. Went to buy our return tickets and found out that the 14:40 which we wanted to take back was not available! We were afraid to wait until the 15:35(a crossing takes 50 minutes) so we bought tickets for the 13:30. Even returning at that time, we had to get in line for the funicular(cable car) at about 12:45 to make sure we got down the mountain in time. The lines were terrible! The early morning there was great but by 11:30 the crowds were huge from all the tours.

Our ship was delayed leaving port because some ship tours could not get on the hydrofoils to return to Naples from Capri.

I've been there before but this was the worst I've seen. Also Capri is getting so expensive. My husband ordered a beer while waiting for my friend and I to shop and it was 7 Euros( that's about $10) and it was just a little sidewalk place , nothing fancy.

Archived