Snorkeling in French Polynesia

Greetings fto all,

My husband and I are long-time snorkelers, though we choose our sites carefully, as he is not terribly confortable in deep water. We also do not like ship's tours (on land or elsewhere). We were on the Tahitian Princess in 2003 and are set to go on the Paul Gauguin in August. I'm hoping to get recommendations for private snorkeling tours on Bora Bora, Huahine, Moorea, Raiatea/ Taha'a, and Rangiroa.

Bora Bora -- Since Johnny has disappeared, I've been referred to Teiva, Keisha, and Damien, but from their web sites, they seem to all feature the same round-the-lagoon-with-the same-cast-of-characters as everyone else. We do not want to feed the sharks or pet the rays. We just want the best possible snorkeling in relatively shallow water. My husband is especially eager to return to a coral garden, with gentle drift snorkel, near the airport, that we did with Johnny.

Huanine -- I know about Marc on Huahine, but we will not be in port long enough for us to do his tour. Anyone know of a shorter one?

Moorea -- What is the name of the motu where everyone goes to snorkel? Is that the best place? How do we get there?

Raiatea/Taha'a -- We did Bruno's tour in 2003 and are glad we did, but we don't care to return to the vanilla plantation or pearl factory, or have another picnic with reef fish on the menu. We just want to go back to that shallow water drift snorkel, between two uninhabited small islands, that was on Bruno's tour. Suggestions for that or similar sites?

Rangiroa -- A new island for us. Snorkeling through the pass seems to be the number one attraction, though interestingly the PG does not feature it in any of their tours. I would like to do that, then some more shallow water snorkeling with my husband. Any recommendations for tours that would combine those choices and, maybe, a local lunch? Does anyone know if snorkeling is good from the beach on Rangiroa? Transportation?

I'm glad to have found this site on CC, as postings on other locations don't seem to have attracted responses. I've been able to respond with what I hope was helpful information to two posts, and I'm now looking forward to receiving same.

In the meantime, happy snorkeling (and diving) to all.

Mary Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mary Sue,

We have done the TP 6 times and are going back again. You have done your research good. We are divers, but have done Marc's and Bruno's good choices for snorkeling and just enjoying island life. In Moorea we have gone to Motu Tiahura were you can snorkel with sting rays and enjoy a great barbecue.

Snorkeling in the passes into the lagoon probably is not that good. The water is deep here and there is lots of current. Great for divers as the big fish are waiting for prey, but snorkeling is best in lagoon shallows where there is coral heads.

Have a great time and here are some photos from our last trip.

Tahiti 2006

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

A belated thanks for your response and for the pictures. We left home the day you posted (not a cruise, unfortunately), and I'm just starting to get caught up with things.

I'm glad to have your input regarding Tiputa Pass. Most opinions I've unearthed vary wildly: "Greatest blast since skydiving [from a snorkeler]" to "Much too dangerous for snorkelers". Your post would indicate that it may not be that interesting. Snorkelers are too far above the action? Perhaps the snorkelers who've loved it are, literally, in it for the "rush" and not for what they can see. In any case, I think I'll give it a bye. My deep-water-phobic husband wants no part of it, and the male half of the couple with whom we travel, who sometimes does such stuff with me, isn't interested either.

You mentioned you are going back again. Any chance you're on the PG sailing August22nd? In any case, I hope we cross paths (or snorkels) sometime in paradise. You and yours look to be a fun couple, albeit young enough to be out kids. Anyway, enjoy, and we'll try to do the same!

Mary Sue

• 2 weeks later...

How do we contact Bruno? We will be on the TP on Oct 31st. We have only been to the FP once before in 2003. Loved the drift snorkel as well. I will do a combination of diving and snorkeling.

Thanks

Archived