Cuban Cigars

62 Cruiser

I hope you get some good tips, but unfortunately my experience is mostly bad...it's possible the cigars they sell as high-quality cubans are actually cheap imitations. They may even have been made in cuba, but with much lower quality tobacco:rolleyes:

I am an avid cigar smoker but rather a novice when it comes to Cubans. I can tell you that with a little research or education prior to your trip you will be amazed at the number of fake Cubans that you will be able to spy in the Caribbean. I found fakes in places that sell cigars as a secondary item and even in specialty Cuban only Cigar shops, all with a few hours of research before my trip.

I would recommend dealing only with officially licensed Habanos SA (habanos.com) shops, and if possible directly with Habanos SA owned shop's which are called “La Casa Del Habanos”. Habanos SA is the Cuban government controlled tobacco company. There are LCDH’s (La Casa Del Habanos) located in Aruba, Grand Cayman, and 2 in St Marteen, additionally there are Hanabos SA licensed shops all over, but if possible stick with the LCDH's.

Also note, from a legal perspective simply PURCHASING Cuban manufactured good even while abroad and for consumption while abroad is still illegal for a US citizen. Technically, although an American citizen cannot even purchase or smoke a Cuban cigar while traveling abroad, there may not be any practical way to enforce the restriction

The "Trading with the Enemy Act" essentially states that it is a crime to exchange currency for goods or services with the enemy. The wording of the law is very vague but essentailly boils down to any transaction that results in your U.S.-based funds being transferred to pay for Cuban goods could be construed as being in violation of the law.

Currently, the only nations with which trade is effectively closed by the act are North Korea and Cuba.

Clearly enforcing this law is difficult if not impossible. I just did not want people to believe that waht they were doing was legal.

When you go to Grand Cayman, visit the LCDH (La Casa Del Habano)store there. Ask for Wallace. He is VERY knowledgable, and will help you with your purchases. Be prepared to spend some $$$$. Authentic Cubans in GC are not cheap.

Wallace is the man! LCDH in GC is a short walk from the pier. You can't go wrong here for a few single sticks. Boxes can be had cheaper other places, but for a few singles, no place is better or more authentic. No chance of a counterfeit here.

As you may know, you will be offered "authentic Cubans" everwhere, especially in PdC or Cozumel. Smile and walk away - they're not the real thing.

Evan

I always thought the advice I received at a Casa de Habanos shop one time was funny.

"If you want to take them back into the states, take the band off of them, put them in a ziploc bag and if you're asked, tell the customs officer that they're 'Mexican seconds'."

Never had the guts to try it.

Archived