Canada place taxi tips and tricks? Anyone know?

We are docking at Canada place with 3 mega ships at the same time. We have an early flight and need to get to yvr asap. We are going to try to be the first off our ship but we get there after the 2 other ships so I am worried about there being long taxi lines especially with the recent posts about shortages.

Can anyone offer some tips on where to go or who to bribe if there are long taxi lines? I dont mind even walking a couple blocks from the terminal if need be. I just need a cab as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

The cab situation on a 3 ship day is not going to change for a while because of Vancouver City's TAxi agreements.

After reading a lot and doing some research I still think the best thing to do is to arrange with "Limo jet" the YVR limo service for a specific pickup.

You can reach them via the official YVR website links.

and I agree that to walk off and meet them outside CP somewhere might likely be better.

Instead of going out the door into the pick/up dropoff area. Use the elevator right in the middle of the exit wall and go up to the hotel floor and out the front.... Or even if you arrange with the Limo service.. go down... to a Parking floor for the meet, that might be even better.

You can also walk to the front of the "parking /drop off" and take an elevator there. You can walk all the way out of the area up the ramp to the left but now your talkin' a "Slog"

If you don't have too much luggage you could get on the Skytrain (our subway). Waterfront station is right at Canada Place. If would be $2.25 each. Even if you only stayed on for 4 or 5 stations (10-15 minutes) this would get you out of the downtown core.

If you get off at Main Street/Science World the Amtrak-ViaRail station is closeby. Usually there would be taxis there.

If you get off at Broadway Station there is a Safeway next to the station. Usually taxis there.

The cost of a taxi ride to the airport wouldn't be much more (gridlock is so bad downtown on cruiseship days).

From what I've read if your ship offers US direct, if thats where your going, might be an option. Doing that means you have not entered Canada, so don't have to go through Canadain customs. Do a search on the Alaska (I think) boards, should give you lots of info.

• 2 months later...
The cab situation on a 3 ship day is not going to change for a while because of Vancouver City's TAxi agreements.

After reading a lot and doing some research I still think the best thing to do is to arrange with "Limo jet" the YVR limo service for a specific pickup.

You can reach them via the official YVR website links.

"Slog"

How about Star Limousine? Are they a good company? Their rates seem very reasonable. I contacted Limojet but they said we would need to take two sedans instead of 1 stretch limo. I've also heard they are bad about backing out of the deal at the last minute due to luggage. The cruise line transfers don't begin until 2:00 so we'd rather use a cab (not really) or a limo service.

Also, how long is the wait at customs at YVR now?? Last time we were there it was very quick but that was JUST before 9/11.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Mercury last Friday. We live just outside Vancouver and I used Star Limousine for the third time. When you exit Canada Place there is a white limo phone, pick it up and they will come right away. They cannot park in the Canada Place parking lot but wait outside. There were 8 of us with a lot of luggage. The cost was $100.00 Canadian and we went about 5 miles farther than YVR Airport. The van was new, we could actually stand up in it and there were seat belts for everyone. I would highly recommend this company. We used them for my daughters wedding six years ago and for our last two cruises. You can book online and they will fax you a confirmation. www.starlimosine.com

Fisherwoman

Just wondering if you can use us dollars for cab, or do I need to get canadian money, thanks

Yes, but you won't get much, if anything, on the exchange. Although the US/CAD rates are pretty close these days. If you pay in US, the cab driver will likely give you change in Canadian dollars.

Almost all cabs take credit cards, so that may be a better option if you don't want to get Canadian dollars.

Yes, but you won't get much, if anything, on the exchange. Although the US/CAD rates are pretty close these days. If you pay in US, the cab driver will likely give you change in Canadian dollars.

Almost all cabs take credit cards, so that may be a better option if you don't want to get Canadian dollars.

Cabs are offering 2% exchange right now.

If you can manage your own luggage up a bit of a steep ramp, you can get a taxi or the Vancouver Airporter in front of the Pan Pacific Hotel which is part of Canada Place. When we returned in May of this year, the line up downstairs was really really long so we went in front of the hotel. The doorman of the hotel will flag a cab over (there is usually lots lined up outside). Just remember to tip him. If the airport bus come along first you can hop on that as it only made one other stop after the Pan Pacific when we were on it and then it went right to the airport.

One year when the Vancouver marathon was on, we just hopped on the sky train to get away from the area and then hopped in a cab a few stations away. The sky train station is just out side of Canada Place, underground. You will need to be able to manage your luggage on an escalator as I am not sure if there is elevator access at that station.

We just got back from the Mercury last Friday. We live just outside Vancouver and I used Star Limousine for the third time. When you exit Canada Place there is a white limo phone, pick it up and they will come right away. They cannot park in the Canada Place parking lot but wait outside. There were 8 of us with a lot of luggage. The cost was $100.00 Canadian and we went about 5 miles farther than YVR Airport. The van was new, we could actually stand up in it and there were seat belts for everyone. I would highly recommend this company. We used them for my daughters wedding six years ago and for our last two cruises. You can book online and they will fax you a confirmation. www.starlimosine.com

Fisherwoman

Just to clarify, you didn't have a reservation? We only need transportation FROM the YVR airport to Canada Place. Our cruise ends in Seattle.

Just to clarify, you didn't have a reservation? We only need transportation FROM the YVR airport to Canada Place. Our cruise ends in Seattle.

Limojet Gold is the official limo service for YVR and you don't need reservations for them. They have limos available curbside and an onsite dispatcher to call for vehicles as needed.

If you use Star Limousine, you will need to reserve ahead.

According to their website, they consider luggage capacity at one suitcase and one carry-on per passenger. If luggage is an issue, make sure you contact them and confirm that the vehicle you're booking can handle both number of people and pieces of luggage.

Archived